On this date, March 19, 1931

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this date, March 19, 1931

On this date, March 19, 1931, Studebaker named coach of Notre Dame's Fighting Irish Knute Rockne to be their Manager of Sales Promotion. Twelve days later he would perish in a plane crash near Bazaar, Kansas. The first Rockne would role off the line in Detroit the following December.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

In the distant past I only knew of Studebaker in South Bend and Hamilton.

It's only in the past few years that I heard about Studebaker in Detroit. Where was this plant located, and what years was it in operation?
    Was it just assembly, or also a manufacturing plant?
    Thanks, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      It's only in the past few years that I heard about Studebaker in Detroit. Where was this plant located, and what years was it in operation?
      Piquette Avenue. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=piquette

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        On this date, March 19, 1931, Studebaker named coach of Notre Dame's Fighting Irish Knute Rockne to be their Manager of Sales Promotion. Twelve days later he would perish in a plane crash near Bazaar, Kansas. The first Rockne would role off the line in Detroit the following December.
        I have that original contract signed by Knute Rockne & witnessed by Studebaker's Paul Hoffman framed along with the contract signed by Bonnie Rockne just 10 weeks later for her to receive .25 cents per each badged Rockne car up to $10,000 per year, this document witnessed by A R Erskine, President of the Studebaker Corporation.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
          I have that original contract signed by Knute Rockne & witnessed by Studebaker's Paul Hoffman framed along with the contract signed by Bonnie Rockne just 10 weeks later for her to receive .25 cents per each badged Rockne car up to $10,000 per year, this document witnessed by A R Erskine, President of the Studebaker Corporation.
          Do you really mean ".25 cents"? I would think that 25 cents or $0.25 would be more appropriate.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 25 cent figure seems very small, but $10,000.00 in 1931 would have been quite a sum of money. I'm curious as to how many Rocknes were produced, after the contract was signed.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Do you really mean ".25 cents"? I would think that 25 cents or $0.25 would be more appropriate.
              Trying to identify a percentage of a dollar using Microsoft or Apple can lead to some confusion. Of Course Quigley means $.25, or 25 cents. We might also try holding down the "Alt" key while simultaneously typing on the numeric pad 0162. If your system allows, you will than get 25¢. Which is what Bonnie Rockne received per vehicle. The number I have seen claimed as total Rockne production for all models both years is 37,879; if true, netting Bonnie $9469.75.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                The 25 cent figure seems very small, but $10,000.00 in 1931 would have been quite a sum of money. I'm curious as to how many Rocknes were produced, after the contract was signed.
                Adjusted for inflation, it would not be any different forty years later when Pontiac Motor Division agreed to pay the SCCA $5.00 for every Firebird Trans Am that was sold.

Craig

Comment

"We might also try holding down the "Alt" key while simultaneously typing on the numeric pad 0162."

Rockne10, how does one find out about these obscure facts? Like how can I make a small o for degrees, instead of 76*?

Comment

Like how can I make a small o for degrees, instead of 76*?
                    Alt+0176

I use it all the time at work! This morning, its 26° outside.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                      "We might also try holding down the "Alt" key while simultaneously typing on the numeric pad 0162."

Rockne10, how does one find out about these obscure facts? Like how can I make a small o for degrees, instead of 76*?
                      I had a chart once that listed many of these sort of symbols that you could insert, but I'm not sure where it is right now. I'm sure a Google search would help to locate something like this.

Comment

Here you go.....

This is for Windows
                        '49 2R15 Flatbed
                        '56 Golden Hawk
                        '62 GT Hawk
                        '63 Champ 8E 12
                        sigpic

Comment

Use your search engine to find instructions for typing all sorts of symbols and foreign letters or currency signs on your standard keyboard. ¢ £ € ¥ ƒ ÷ ± ¿ ß ¡© ® ™ § † ‡ ¶ µ ‰ ☻ ☼ ♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ ♪ ♫ ◄ √
                          And, if you want to refer to René Harger, use Alt+130.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            Trying to identify a percentage of a dollar using Microsoft or Apple can lead to some confusion. Of Course Quigley means $.25, or 25 cents. We might also try holding down the "Alt" key while simultaneously typing on the numeric pad 0162. If your system allows, you will than get 25¢. Which is what Bonnie Rockne received per vehicle. The number I have seen claimed as total Rockne production for all models both years is 37,879; if true, netting Bonnie $9469.75.
                            With sales in the first quarter from Dec 1st 1931 Bonnie received $914.50 for 3658 Rockne sales up to & including Feb 1932. For the next 3 months till May 31st the Rockne sales were noticeably higher at 9297 with Bonnie receiving $2,324.25. The following 3 months till August 31st there were 5765 sales with $1441.25 directed to Bonnie. The final quarter of that first year of production realised 2906 units sold for a figure of $726.50. This totalled $5406.50 to Bonnie Rockne in the first year of production

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                            X