PDA

View Full Version : 1955 E7 wheels size

alain
03-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Hello,my 1955 E7 pickup is still getting at metal and paint stage;but i am running with a small problem with the wheels:i bought 4 used dog dish hubcaps that are 11 inches and 1/8" in diameter(on back side from lip to lip);studebaker international have some new ones for sale that measure 11 inch 1/4";my purchased hubcaps are too big for my wheels(10 inch 1/4" diameter from spring clip to across rim to another spring clip);it does seems that i have wrong wheels on the pickup that i bought.Any help will be great from anybody.Thanks in advance

Skip Lackie
03-15-2018, 04:37 PM
I think you have the wrong wheels. The half-ton truck wheels only have three spring clips, which makes it difficult to estimate the clip-to-clip diameter. I have some original 3R truck hubcaps, and they measure 11 1/8" from inside lip to inside lip. FWIW: the hub caps that SI lists for 49-59 half-ton trucks are actually only correct for 49-53 2R-series trucks, though they will fit the later wheels. They are not reproducing the 527859 cap, which was OEM for E-series trucks.

thunderations
03-15-2018, 05:30 PM
You may be able to put clips at the correct locations to accommodate the hubcaps you have on the wheels you have.
I have been successful using early VW hubcap clips on different wheels to use button hubcaps. They attach with one rivet or small screw. I get mine from a supplier on Ebay. They come in sets and are not expensive.
Just thought it might be another solution for you without buying different wheels.

alain
03-15-2018, 06:40 PM
thank you Skip & thunderations for confirming that my pickup has wrong wheels;i just need now to convince the owner of the shop that is restoring the pickup that we don't have to buy new wheels but to install new springs clips or new button hubcaps.Now my other problem is that we are installing discs brakes in the front by using Turner brake conversion kit:are we going to have clearance problem with wheels and may be use some spacers?

Skip Lackie
03-16-2018, 09:13 AM
You might want to measure the backspacing of your existing wheels and then give Jim Turner a call and ask him if they will fit.