PDA

View Full Version : Avanti in Youngstown Ohio

Mike Sal
03-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know the address of where the plant was in Youngstown? I'm going to be there this weekend.
thanks
Mike Sal

Silverplate
03-15-2018, 11:14 PM
A Google search indicates it was torn down in 2012.

DEEPNHOCK
03-16-2018, 08:15 AM
I do hope they rebuild Youngstown.
(That was a pretty big place to tear down)...... (badumpching!)

A Google search indicates it was torn down in 2012.

Avantict
03-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately all remnants of the plant are gone. The location is on fenced in locked private property

63 R2 Hawk
03-16-2018, 04:39 PM
I went to school not far from Albert Street many years before Avantis were built there. We were known as "Murdertown" back in those days, due o all the lower echelon organized crime activity. Youngstown was a booming place back then, about 160,000 people. Now that the steel mills are all gone it's about half that. I have seen (once nice) homes selling there for $15-$20K or less, some couldn't even be given away and entire blocks of homes were bulldozed flat. Too bad Cafaro couldn't sustain the business, Youngstown desperately needed all the business they could lure.

Silverplate
03-18-2018, 09:24 AM
I went to school not far from Albert Street many years before Avantis were built there. We were known as "Murdertown" back in those days, due o all the lower echelon organized crime activity. Youngstown was a booming place back then, about 160,000 people. Now that the steel mills are all gone it's about half that. I have seen (once nice) homes selling there for $15-$20K or less, some couldn't even be given away and entire blocks of homes were bulldozed flat. Too bad Cafaro couldn't sustain the business, Youngstown desperately needed all the business they could lure.

While Cafaro's Avanti venture failed he is one the largest shopping mall and retail store builders/owners in the US with headquarters always in Youngstown.

candbstudebakers
03-18-2018, 11:55 AM
I have one of his Avanti's a 90 4 door number 87 of the 90 that were built, it is the car Iam keeping as I thin the flock down to just one, the other 3-4 have been on the forum before but so far no takers so they will be going on e-bay soon. back to the 90 it is really a nice car and people that see it can not believe it is 27 years old, a real show stopper at all car shows.

Mike Sal
03-18-2018, 06:21 PM
A local told me I was within a mile of the plant location. I was at another old factory location which had made office furniture for years, but now is a bombed out complex. We were doing a re-creation of the Stalingrad battle during ww2. Lots of russian and german soldiers playing army among the ruined factory buildings. It was a lot of fun.
Mike Sal