PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Of Commanders

Stude Shoo-wop!
03-14-2018, 05:24 PM
I did it again. I found a couple of cars using the magical world of Craigslist. This time though both are extremely interesting cars for different reasons.

The first one is what is called a "1955 Studebaker Commander Regal Ultra Vista Sedan". See what you think:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/studebaker/6524706002.html

The other is a 1965 (mislabeled as a 1964) Commander that is CAKED in mud and probably grade-A barn dust! At only $1,200, it is likely to become someones project on this forum.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/real-deal-barn-find-1964/6481537385.html

sals54
03-14-2018, 06:06 PM
As to the 64... while there is a lot to like, the rat nest in the glove box would have me worried. I hate rodents. They are one of nature's most disgusting little creatures. Like giant, furry, horse flies. Peeing everywhere, cr*pping everywhere, fleas everywhere, mites everywhere... YUK.
So, yeah... the 64 would need a serious bleach bath before I'd get near it.

I am no big fan of 4 door cars, but that 55 is amazing. I would do a minor repaint and drive the wheels off it just as it sits. A carpet kit might add to the quiet of the interior and clean that up some, but DANG ! ! ! Its very nice.
And a bargain, even at that price. But I bet you could get it for a thousand less than the asking price.

TWChamp
03-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I agree that 64 is going to be a real bargain for someone. Too bad they didn't get rid of the dirt for at least a couple pictures, so a person could see the condition of the paint.
At any rate, it sure looks complete and like a good buy.

StudeRich
03-14-2018, 07:20 PM
On a Commander, it's quite hard to spot the difference between a '64 and a '65 without an Engine view or Serial number.
One clue is all Canadian Cars had the Windshield Washer and the '65 Had Dual Headlights & '65 & '66 had the Parking Brake warning light Standard.

Of course you could Order ALL of those on a '64, but chances of that are WAY lower than it being a '65. :)
I think Jake "scored" again, but not sure how he knew that. Did you cheat and call for the Serial Number Jake? ;)

That '55 is one the driest, most rust free Studes you will EVER see!
Really amazing how well preserved it is. It has some '59 or Newer Stude. Wheels and '59 Hubcaps.

It is only Original once, and you can't Fake this:
71002 :!:

JRoberts
03-14-2018, 07:31 PM
That is really a nice looking car. I love the small hub caps. I bet that is a nice road car. As for the '64, I bet a lot of car wash soap and water would be used along with a lot elbow grease to clean it up. I thought '64's had large Studebaker lettering across the lip of the trunk lid and the '65's don't. I always found that to be the easiest and quickest way to tell the difference.

StudeRich
03-14-2018, 09:45 PM
/Cut/I thought '64's had large Studebaker lettering across the lip of the trunk lid and the '65's don't. I always found that to be the easiest and quickest way to tell the difference.

Only '64 Daytonas had the three Mouldings on the Decklid with the Block Letters, this is a Commander, they look similar but not the same as a '65 Daytona or Cruiser in the rear.

Buzzard
03-14-2018, 09:54 PM
I have never seen that unique stainless trim above the windshield on the '55 before. I agree with Sal, if I wasn't encumbered with 5 other projects it would be in my driveway.
Bill

8E45E
03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
That is really a nice looking car. I love the small hub caps. I bet that is a nice road car. As for the '64, I bet a lot of car wash soap and water would be used along with a lot elbow grease to clean it up. I thought '64's had large Studebaker lettering across the lip of the trunk lid and the '65's don't. I always found that to be the easiest and quickest way to tell the difference.

The '64 Commander models had the script on the upper right of the trunk lid as this example does. 1965 Commanders had the same script mounted on the lower panel to the right of the gas filler.

Craig

52-fan
03-15-2018, 10:37 AM
These kids that think rust is patina should study that 55. That care shows real patina. Signs of age, but no real damage.