PDA

View Full Version : Avanti radio speaker (rear)

Indyted
03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone:

I have an early 1963 Avanti. The back speaker does not work and the housing cone is ripped. Does anyone rebuild these or should I just buy a new one from SI?

What have any of you done? Thanks in advance!

TWChamp
03-13-2018, 04:04 PM
It's been many years since I've heard of anyone rebuilding a speaker. In today's throw away society, I'm sure a new one is the lowest cost option.

Studebaker1965
03-13-2018, 04:41 PM
I had the one in my 65 Commander rebuilt a few years ago. If you are running an original radio, I believe the ohms are different on newer speakers.

Bud
03-13-2018, 05:18 PM
There are still places that will re cone speakers. I use Jackson Speaker Repair in Jackson Michigan. Ron Mc Gee the owner does a great job of re coning at reasonable prices. There is also Electro Tech at turnswitch.com that will sell you a new speaker that will be correct for the Avanti radio. Bud

StudeRich
03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
You do need a 10 Ohm Speaker for your original Delco/Studebaker Transistor Radio, not the available 4/8 Ohm.

Mike Sal
03-13-2018, 07:24 PM
I wonder if that speaker shop in Jackson, Mi got it's start at Spartan Mfg.....they were a major player in the radio business in the old days. Probably a lot of radio parts businesses were in the area to support them. Spartan also made car horns for our studebakers.
Mike Sal

bezhawk
03-13-2018, 07:46 PM
http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
I have used this company before, and their products are first rate. They sound really nice on the stock radio. 10 ohms.

RadioRoy
03-13-2018, 08:19 PM
X2 for S&M Electro-tech. Nice to talk with on the phone and great speakers.

sals54
03-13-2018, 09:19 PM
I might have a good rear speaker for an Avanti. If someone could tell me how to get the blasted thing out... that would help.
It appears one would have to remove the entire interior, gas tank, all the trim from the rear seat area, remove the rear glass and stainless trim, take the body off the frame, rotisserie the body so it makes the area accessible, then take out the speaker.
Replace the speaker by reversing the order of removal.
Maybe there's an easier way? Please let me know.

bezhawk
03-13-2018, 10:48 PM
I might have a good rear speaker for an Avanti. If someone could tell me how to get the blasted thing out... that would help.
It appears one would have to remove the entire interior, gas tank, all the trim from the rear seat area, remove the rear glass and stainless trim, take the body off the frame, rotisserie the body so it makes the area accessible, then take out the speaker.
Replace the speaker by reversing the order of removal.
Maybe there's an easier way? Please let me know. No, that's about it, of course if you hang upside down by your big right toe from the rafters it makes it much easier.