1952 champion convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 champion convertible

I've been looking at a rather delapatated 52 champion (I think) convertible flathead 6 and debating whether to have a go at it. I have scoured the web looking for photos of one and and information but seem to find very few. Is this car that rare or just unpopular? I know the bullet nose cars are more iconic. For a Studebaker die hard this might be a dumb question but I simply don't know where to look for information. I really want to see some good photos...anyone help me out?

There are quite a few images on Google - the convertibles have a one piece windshield, so the interior photos with a center windshield post are not convertibles.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=867&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=aNSnWo6TPOaX0wKfm4qYAw&q=52+stude baker+convertible+interior+dash

Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

The 1952 Convertible was the Indy 500 Pace car.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You're not too far away, so you might want to drive over and look at the 1952 Convertible at Ellingson's in Rogers, MN.
        It's as nice as they come, and the price has been lowered to about 20K.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I believe is the car mentioned by TWChamp in the previous post. It seems to be a very nice car. You will probably have to copy and paste.

Comment

Originally posted by skangboy54 View Post
            I've been looking at a rather delapatated 52 champion (I think) convertible flathead 6 and debating whether to have a go at it. I have scoured the web looking for photos of one and and information but seem to find very few. Is this car that rare or just unpopular? I know the bullet nose cars are more iconic. For a Studebaker die hard this might be a dumb question but I simply don't know where to look for information. I really want to see some good photos...anyone help me out?
            Having owned a 1952 Commander Convertible that was painted pace car colors you can enter into a "love-hate" relationship. The 52 cars are overshadowed by the 51 Bullet Nose with the new V8 and the 1953 Models which are a class unto themselves. My car was in Northern California but has spent one rough winter in Minnesota then set outside in Northern California exposed to the wet weather for unknown number of years. 25 years ago just the cost of restoration in parts, paint and upholstery was just in rough figuring over 12K. My labor in the car is not figured in that figure. I love all 1952 so clearly I am not the best person to ask.

How many cars have your restored? The Commander from 1951 up is popular for the V8. If you love the car, you will have to take on what sounds like a huge project. Is the top frame intact? Are the top "screws" still there? I was lucky, the top mechanism did work on the car after a battery was installed. Very Lucky.

You could figure on having 30-40 K in a car that is stock and maybe worth 20-25K. I know some will throw rocks but if the car was done modified very well with a high level of craftsmanship, you could recover your money. The risk with any modified it may be good for you but may not be someone's cup of tea.

Best of Luck. If you have any pictures, post them and you will probably have many more opinions from the Forum

Bob Miles
            Different by Design, Different in Delight!

Comment

To many people and also members of the club have problems excepting the 52 cars but when you really sit down and think about it they are a very nice car and since they are the 100th anniversary car built by Studebaker and that was a one year only car, it will come around full circle and then the people that own them will be glad they do. Right now I have a very nice 52 commander hardtop 3 speed with overdrive and a show car at that, but because of my age I am down sizing and the 52 is for sale and at a steel for $20,000 it could not be built for twice that amount, so back to your question if the price is right and you like the car go for it but plan on spending money to restore if that is your plans, all old cars are a crap shoot when taking on a project. keep in mind your enjoyment of owning it needs to be you equity when selling it later.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

.....and you will never get back what you put into it!.....ya got to do it for the love of it!
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

It's a hobby. What equity do you have after playing a round of golf? If you're doing this for profit, you're a used car salesman and have to use that mentality, not the hobbyists love of the cars. I can't think of many fun things to do that have financial rewards that exceed the costs.
                  Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  .....and you will never get back what you put into it!.....ya got to do it for the love of it!
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                    Yes and No...
                    Regarding most of the previous posts above, I have to agree and disagree with almost all of them. I think its possible to enjoy a hobby/collector car and have it pay for itself at the same time. I have been in a plus plus with the cars I've owned and kept. In other words, I use parts cars to keep my cars up and running, while at the same time, selling parts to keep my 'out of pocket' expenses down. In fact, that is where the plus plus comes into play. I've made enough from sales and parts to keep a couple of cars that essentially cost me nothing. And I've been able to do it while not having tons of space to store cars. I live in an area that has become a bit of a nanny state. Too many nosey neighbors calling the County. So I keep everything tidy and neat... and hidden from prying eyes.
                    A couple years ago I bought a run down 63 4 door out of a garage, which just happened to have a 259 4 speed in it. I put the V8 4 spd in a 62 Convert which had a tired 6 cyl 3 speed. Then sold the parts car and the 6 cyl. If its done, one car or project at a time, it can be done discreetly and economically. I've used this method over and over again. It pays off quite well, to a point where I'm able to give some parts away, or sell very cheap, to help other folks.
                    So, yes, I do it for the love of the cars... and get back more than what I put into it. Best of both worlds.
                    sals54

Comment

1952, yes, the 100th anniversary of Studebaker, and the 50th anniversary of making cars, and that's why I was so surprised that there was no special emblems nor any other indication of this grand event on my 1952 Land Cruiser.

Comment

thanks for the replies. I don't do this for money, for the love of it and to drive. The 52 in question would be a lot of work, no question, but then again if it were not a convertible it would not have survived this long. I've restored cars, my dad is the Studebaker guy but keeps telling me about this car, took me to look at it, I left feeling conflicted. I have a 64 Daytona, beautiful car 259 that you can see in my profile here before I painted it, drives like a dream, 54 Desoto, drives well too, I've had that car since I was 13, now I'm 55. I would buy this 52 to restore and drive for fun, not to make money or for an investment, I wouldn't care what it was worth, if I can't drive it I don't want it. Not sure if I would like it, scared that it would be difficult to get parts, I've never driven a Studebaker of this vintage. My Desoto is a behemoth compared to this Studebaker. Just thought folks here might know if it was one year only, I know that it is, I also know it isn't held in as great esteem as the Bullets, I don't care about that...I own a Desoto after all LOL! You all answered my question, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X