PDA

View Full Version : how many yards of fabric for a lark seat?

skangboy54
03-13-2018, 12:11 AM
Just received some samples from SMS for red cloth to recover the seats in my 64 daytona 4 door sedan. About how many yards will I need for both seats? The back of the drivers seat in Vinyl and sides as well.

StudeRich
03-13-2018, 01:10 AM
If you are going for a Original Pattern/Style Seat Cover, it will take a lot more Vinyl than that and way less cloth.
It completely surrounded the Cloth and went OVER the top about 5 Inches where it meets the flat rear Panel also Vinyl. There is VERY Little cloth. :ohmy:

70974 70975 70976
Bench Seat, Split Bench Seat or Bucket Seats?

The BEST way to be sure, is to have your Local Auto Upholstery Shop measure it up, and that way you get a professional measurement. They know how much extra is needed to stitch it up, tuck and hog ring it underneath and all. :)

OR, you COULD order NOS Upholstery from Starlight Studebaker, then you are good!
That MAY be what these are.

2R5
03-13-2018, 03:56 AM
Did you try Will Sanders , he possible may have original seat covers for your car .

skangboy54
03-13-2018, 08:56 AM
The vinyl is fine, just the cloth is a little thread bare. I just wanted an estimate for my own calculation as the car is still in storage and won't be out for another month or so. Those places to order dos or any seat covers I have heard take months or sometimes years to respond, I want to get this done before the show season. I also want to keep it as original as I can without replacing the entire seat if possible.

2R5
03-13-2018, 10:33 AM
The vinyl is fine, just the cloth is a little thread bare. I just wanted an estimate for my own calculation as the car is still in storage and won't be out for another month or so. Those places to order dos or any seat covers I have heard take months or sometimes years to respond, I want to get this done before the show season. I also want to keep it as original as I can without replacing the entire seat if possible.

Will Sanders is not one of those guys who make seat covers , he has all the factory remaining upholstery from the Studebaker factory .

Mike Sal
03-13-2018, 01:22 PM
I sent another email to starlight Studebaker just now....I average sending them a note every 6 months....but never get a reply. I'm looking for upholstery for my '66 commander. I usually sew my own seats but wouldn't mind to have the real thing if possible.....we'll see.
Mike Sal

2R5
03-13-2018, 02:16 PM
I sent another email to starlight Studebaker just now....I average sending them a note every 6 months....but never get a reply. I'm looking for upholstery for my '66 commander. I usually sew my own seats but wouldn't mind to have the real thing if possible.....we'll see.
Mike Sal
Ive heard some people have trouble getting through to him , I have a buddy who always has no problem getting him . Last year I got both back seat covers for the bottom and back from him .....I was presently surprised and they were just beautiful , looked like they were made yesterday.

voxnut
03-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Mike Sal

It took me a little over 2 years to get my door panels from Will, but I was glad I waited - though I'm not sure I would have said that before the panels arrived. :)

Mike Sal
03-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Big News....got a reply from them this afternoon (you would know that the first time I complain, things change...). He says they are in the middle of transferring inventory from one warehouse to another & hope to be able to answer my request soon.....we'll see.
Mike Sal

jackb
03-14-2018, 10:57 AM
I think that a Stude Lark wants 8+ yds. to do the whole job.....someone correct me.

Bullet
03-14-2018, 12:54 PM
I was quoted that I need 4 yards just for my back seat on a 64 Cruiser, so I think 8 sounds right.

Mark

Mike Sal
03-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Wow, received a quote from Starlight Studebaker for the entire interior (seats, door panels, headliner) for my '66 4dr last night....$700 + postage. All I have to do is confirm color of the headliner (champaign or grey....although I would have sworn mine was white....I'll have to check when I get home...) & send them a check....sounds good to me.
Mike Sal

packard352
03-14-2018, 03:46 PM
If you're still scouting around, it might be worth getting on touch with Rene and Bonita Harger. I can only vouch for their work on my '56 Golden Hawk. For my car, I specified vinyl for which they used correct period grain.

Hope the link is useful...
http://www.alpha-omegaclothingco.com/southeaststudebaker.html

70997 70998

2R5
03-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Wow, received a quote from Starlight Studebaker for the entire interior (seats, door panels, headliner) for my '66 4dr last night....$700 + postage. All I have to do is confirm color of the headliner (champaign or grey....although I would have sworn mine was white....I'll have to check when I get home...) & send them a check....sounds good to me.
Mike Sal
mike if you think it’s white you probably have champagne

jclary
03-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Interesting how some of us think in different terms about the same subject. For me, I wouldn't be asking "how many yards of fabric,":confused: unless I was going to attempt to do my own upholstery. Otherwise, I would think that any competent upholsterer should be able to figure that out, and my main interest would be "how much would it cost," for him/her to do the job? If we could agree on the price, then it would be up to the upholsterer to take care of the material, tools, and time.:)

Mike Sal
03-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Looks like grey is the color (red car w/ black upholstery) for the headliner....I guess my brain was thinking of the '65 Cruiser, as that's the last car I was messing with the headliner. It's been 3 years since I removed the headliner from the '66 & I guess those brain cells are gone....

I enjoy doing my own upholstery, but the thought of new door panels to boot is making me decide to spend the money.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal
04-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Just received my new '66 upholstery set from Starlite Studebaker. He didn't have a good black right rear door panel, so substituted another color that I will have to die. The headliner came in the original Studebaker cardboard tube. The seat covers look excellent.

The kicker is he shipped it to me without pre-payment...I just sent them a note to let me know how to pay....
Mike Sal

Mike Sal
04-06-2018, 02:51 PM
On the back side of one of the rear door panels as an internal order sheet where SASCO had ordered some service parts from Hamilton. The dark band across the ticket is a piece of masking tape which was holding it on. It appears the panel was ordered for future service, but never sold. Is "Plant Eight" the former newman altman building?
Mike Sal

StudeRich
04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
NO, Plant Eight is the Studebaker Corp. Worldwide Parts Warehouse, the ORIGINAL Studebaker Automotive Sales Co. (SASCO) Div. of Studebaker Corp. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/smilies/001_rolleyes.gif

South Bend, Plant 8, likely had a Dealer Order for a damaged replacement Panel on a New 1966 Lark Type.