PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels Article about S/N plate I used fror #1

wdills
03-12-2018, 02:23 PM
A few years back there was an article in TW where they discussed Studebakers use of an I for the number 1. Does anyone remember the year and month for that article.

I am going to try and head off the mistake our local DMV inspector made on his paper work on the last car I got titled. He recorded the S/N with an I in it and turned it in. I then submitted my title application and the DMV folks in Raleigh didn't want to issue me a title because the S/N I had on the title application didn't match his report. Hopefully, if I give him the article when he does his inspection, he will record the S/N correctly on his paper work.

8E45E
03-12-2018, 02:25 PM
March, 2016

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?96851-Secret-VIN-number&highlight=1931+serial

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?93809-Production-Order-affidavit-RE-numeral-1-in-March-TW&highlight=1931+serial

Craig

StudeRich
03-12-2018, 07:47 PM
You can also use the Chassis Parts Catalog or Body Parts Catalog to prove that "I" 's are actually NUMERIC line count Number "1" 's. ;)

These "Newer Car" State Inspector "Kids", EVER will "Get it". :mad:

JRoberts
03-12-2018, 09:07 PM
North Carolina's DMV is sometimes a real pain when it comes to that. When I brought my Cruiser home the inspector who came out to make sure the car and title were correct questioned the "I" . I told him the story and he immediately went to his car and got on the phone. Shortly he came back and had all the info he needed to approve the car. So it seems to me that somebody at the DMV in Raleigh should know about this. If you cannot prove your point with the documentation you find here, tell them to hold on and call the DMV in Raleigh and get your help there.

BobPalma
03-12-2018, 09:44 PM
:) Here's an example of a distinct advantage to belonging to The Studebaker Drivers Club and receiving Turning Wheels.

I designed the coverage of this topic in the March 2016 Co-Operator toward the specific idea that it could be shown to various state licensing and titling authorities to clear this up once and for all. Andy Beckman even dug up for us the original Studebaker Corporation engineering drawing specifying the type design and style to be used, dated April 16, 1931, a copy of which is included in that March 2016 Co-Operator. Other photographic evidence (Serial Number plates and corresponding titles) is included in that issue.

If you don't have a copy of the March 2016 Turning Wheels and anticipate trouble like this, buy that back issue from Cornerstone Registration to have at the ready when you do battle with these folks. ;) :cool: BP

BRUCESTUDE
03-12-2018, 11:12 PM
A few years ago Washington needed a vehicle's weight to get a title transferred etc., apparently newer cars have a weight code already, and I couldn't license my '64 Daytona without that info in writing. A copy of the specification chart from a Fred Fox article was enough! Those old issues of TW are a gold mine of info. for me, and the Governor!

(S)
03-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Thanks Bob and Andy!

ddub
03-13-2018, 02:22 AM
It might be worthwhile for SDC to develop a pamphlet containing the information and make it available for members as well as sending one to each state DMV.