overdrive trans fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive trans fluids

I have recently purchased a overdrive transmission for my 48 champion t96 what kind of trans fluid do i use and can i use a synthetic like royal purple

need to use 65-201 napa straight mineral oil as per b/w brochure. i just bought 3/5 gal @ 8.95 each.

HAYWARD/60 LARK
    PIKEVILLE,KY.
    US COAL CAPITAL

Comment

Studebaker also "allowed" the use of straight 40 or 50 weight MOTOR oil in overdrive transmissions. All too often, what happens is somebody pumps in hypoid lube, meant for differentials. The extreme-pressure additives in that lube can be hard on the synchros.

The overdrive does not need a heavy EP-rated oil. I have had good luck using motor oil, and they seem to shift better with motor oil than they do with staright mineral gear lube, ay least in my experience.

I can't see a downside to using synthetics, other than the seals used might not be up to the job of holding them, so you might experience leakage. You don't want to run dry in the overdrive!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Studebaker also "allowed" the use of straight 40 or 50 weight MOTOR oil in overdrive transmissions. All too often, what happens is somebody pumps in hypoid lube, meant for differentials. The extreme-pressure additives in that lube can be hard on the synchros.

The overdrive does not need a heavy EP-rated oil. I have had good luck using motor oil, and they seem to shift better with motor oil than they do with staright mineral gear lube, ay least in my experience.

Gord - I assume you would want "non detergent" in that case, or does it matter?

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

The original Borg Warner Overdrive manuals tell you the details on acceptable fluids (and everything else you could want to know about your overdrive unit). Download it free at Bob Johnstone's handy website, where he puts lots of Stude info at our fingertips:

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
          Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

The original Borg Warner Overdrive manuals tell you the details on acceptable fluids (and everything else you could want to know about your overdrive unit). Download it free at Bob Johnstone's handy website, where he puts lots of Stude info at our fingertips:

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"
            Thanks Paul!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLYS THIS HELPS ALOT