PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

plee4139
03-11-2018, 08:01 AM
I've noticed that the retail value of my sky Hawk, which is a solid #3 has not changed from $17K since I got it ten years ago. While I appreciate that it's keeping its value, at 2 plus percent inflation rate, it's actually lost 20% of its value, adjusted for inflation. I've noticed that the ones appreciating include the Studebaker-made Avanti, GT's, and Golden Hawks. I've been hoping that some of the overpricing of ordinary Fords and Chevys would rub off on my car, but evidently not. In reality (remember that?) we don't really know what we'll get until it's actually sold. Like so many of our hobby, It's been a financial loss, but an enjoyable one. i have no boat, other collectibles, or play golf. For many years I sold photographic and video equipment and when a customer commented about how much some of it, such as lenses, was so expensive. I would remind them about how much it cost to go to Vail or Vermont to go skiing, and that seemed to make sense to them. Sorry for the long post, but I'm a writer, and have no editor handy. like my writing? Read my book, it's on Amazon Kindle. there's videos on youtube as well.

Skip Lackie
03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Other makes seem to go up and down a lot, while Studebakers pretty much don't change. About 25 years ago, I bought a 74 Avanti for $14,000 (a little over the published value, but it had the features, including 4-speed, that I wanted). Since then, its value has appreciated to . . . . . $14,000. Not really a Studebaker, but still relevant.

E. Davis
03-11-2018, 01:57 PM
I too have noticed the stagnant appreciation on Hawks and have decided it is probably related to supply and lack of demand. Most of us Studebaker fans are getting long in the tooth and many have decided to leave the hobby but hate to take a significant loss on our cars but if we want out we are going to have to bite the bullet. Younger collectors are turning to the brand X models and have little desire to own an orphan car. In my own case, being an octogenarian and rapidly losing my driving skills I am reluctantly getting ready to join the sell group. Even my own children and grand children are not interested in taking my Hawk and I'm certain many of you are experiencing the same situation.

03-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I've been at this a long time, and have seen prices jump when people have the means to get into the hobby. I paid $1800 for my '55 Champion Regal Sedan in 1979. I took a lot of heat back then, and everybody said I overpaid. Over the 39 years I've owned it, it's appreciated conservatively three or four fold. Taxes and insurance are the price we pay for being able to touch and feel our investment, and since I'm a terrible golfer, I rationalize those expenses away, as they are way less than a cart and greens fees every weekend.

If you are in this to make money, it's the flash and attention of the Muscle Cars, Exotics, etc. you must follow. As far as growing the hobby, we've just gone through an eight year period where many of my contemporaries (I will be 55 soon) have lost or watched their ability to make a living during our most productive years be harmed greatly. I can't tell you what the tastes and pleasures of those of us lucky enough to recover, or coming of age, will be for sure. But, I can tell you there will be a recovery. I remember Old Cars Price Guide had the value of a '63 Avanti stuck around $4500 in the late 70's and early 80's. By the late 90's, I had to a little more than double that to get mine.

We used to take pride in the fact we were in it for the nostalgia and the pedigree of being different. Some of the oldtimers would be stunned at the prices our stuff is bringing. And with that success, we shouldn't take our eye off of the heritage and pride of our "oddball" status. We aren't about the flash and bling of high appreciation. That is why CASO's still exist.

PackardV8
03-11-2018, 03:26 PM
I paid $1800 for my '55 Champion Regal Sedan in 1979. I took a lot of heat back then, and everybody said I overpaid. Over the 39 years I've owned it, it's appreciated conservatively three or four fold. In today's dollars, that's $6,532.37, or 3.62-fold, as you intuited; so like most of we Stude owners, the value is barely keeping up with inflation, if that.

Never add up the cost of a wife, children or a hobby; that way leads to madness or divorce.

jack vines

E. Davis
03-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Amen to that Jack.

tsenecal
03-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Good advice on the cost of wife, kids and hobby. I seem to conveniently 'lose' receipts now and then, so that I'm not reminded of the cost. Luckily, I don't golf.

rockne10
03-11-2018, 05:00 PM
I paid $1800 for my '55 Champion Regal Sedan in 1979.... everybody said I overpaid. ... it's appreciated conservatively three or four fold.My '53 Commander Starlight as well. I paid $2300 for it in 1976 as a daily driver, when Old Cars Price Guide valued it at about that. Now, approaching a half century later perhaps multiplied by 10. taking inflation in to consideration, has it appreciated at all?:o

But 42 years of fun and friendships have to account for something! ;)

PackardV8
03-11-2018, 05:06 PM
My '53 Commander Starlight as well. I paid $2300 for it in 1976 as a daily driver, when Old Cars Price Guide valued it at about that. Now, approaching a half century later perhaps multiplied by 10. taking inflation in to consideration, has it appreciated at all?:o

$10,253.49.

But 42 years of fun have to account for something! ;)

But 42 years of fun, priceless.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
Mager Engine

Stude Shoo-wop!
03-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Younger collectors are turning to the brand X models and have little desire to own an orphan car. In my own case, being an octogenarian and rapidly losing my driving skills I am reluctantly getting ready to join the sell group. Even my own children and grand children are not interested in taking my Hawk and I'm certain many of you are experiencing the same situation.

I know that I'm the exception rather than the rule but I entered the SDC with no background whatsoever and I'm only 17 years old. I drive my 1962 GT Hawk whenever I can and I also have a desire to collect a couple more Studes as well as AMCs.

The point is we are out there. If the SDC could make it a bit more accessible to support the orphan(s), then I am sure you would have no problems in that regard.

Hallabutt
03-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Virtually no post war Studebakers values have kept up with inflation. Unless a buyer is able to pay under market and sell immediately, there is little money to be made in post war Studebakers. A flipper can make out, but usually only if he doesn't have to put much time and effort into the car. Anything more ten detailing and a tuneup ups add the risks for the flipper. Working against profitability for the flipper are the real dangers of overestimating the car's value in the marketplace, costs of repairs, licensing and insuring. Timing and luck can be the flippers friend or enemy. I guess that the game can be fun, but it's not for me.

The two questions that I ask before I buy a car, do I want the car, and can I afford it. Bottom line, there are vary few cars, and no post war Studebakers, that are so rare and valuable, that I won't be able to find another one. If someone asks less then market, for a car that I want, chances are I will offer more. If on the other hand the asking is more then I think reasonable, I walk. I don't let myself be cheated, and I refuse to cheat someone else. The last thing that I want to worry about is how much my cars are worth. Car values only matter, to me, when I decide to sell, but I seldom sell, and then only to the right buyer. The game of buying and selling is not part of the hobby that I enjoy.

Swifster
03-11-2018, 09:42 PM
This is a hobby. If you buy a Studebaker, it's for your own personal enjoyment, not to make a profit. I will spent more on my two Studebakers than I'll ever recoup. If you're out to make a profit, you have the wrong marque. And I know this coming in.

63t-cab
03-11-2018, 10:07 PM
This is exactly how I felt in the beginning and still feel now,it does cost money to have fun !

This is a hobby. If you buy a Studebaker, it's for your own personal enjoyment, not to make a profit. I will spent more on my two Studebakers than I'll ever recoup. If you're out to make a profit, you have the wrong marque. And I know this coming in.

6hk71400
03-12-2018, 01:00 AM
When I bought two taillights for my 62 Lark Saturday, I was asked if I wanted a receipt emailed, etc etc. I said that last time I keep records of receipts was in 1968 for my overdrive equipped Speedster. I have not looked back, and my wife of 37 years has never asked. Boy, I am lucky! I have not had to worry about providing and when money is tight, I do what everyone does, cut back especially the Studebakers.

Bob Miles
Different by Design, Different in Delight.

6hk71400
03-12-2018, 01:03 AM
I know that I'm the exception rather than the rule but I entered the SDC with no background whatsoever and I'm only 17 years old. I drive my 1962 GT Hawk whenever I can and I also have a desire to collect a couple more Studes as well as AMCs.

The point is we are out there. If the SDC could make it a bit more accessible to support the orphan(s), then I am sure you would have no problems in that regard. Good Point Jake! I would like your input as what you think at the national level and at the local chapter level SDC can do to support our cars. Thank you in advance of your response. I was 17 years old 49 years ago and driving my own first Studebaker.

Bob Miles
Different by Design, Different in Delight

leonard
03-12-2018, 07:16 AM
1966 i sold my 65 chevy the car was broken into 3 times i figured it was a bad luck car also the man who bought from me had the tires and wheels stolen.he traded me cash and a 1962 studebaker wagon. i think i alowed him 500 dollars off the asking price.i later sold it to a neighbor for 800 dollars.over the years i bought and soldcars.i made money on them,65-66 mustangs fastback and convert. trans novas fords i bought cars that i liked,3or years ago i bought a 64 cruiser i thought it looked cute. it has new brake lines new dual exhaust,5 new tires rasiator is recored rebuil carb,new belts and hoses new fuel pump new front wind laceevery were go i get a thumbs up,i even received a trophy at a car show i'm trying to sell it as i have my eye a GTO you would not believe pricing on the GTO. i can not get anything for it every one say's what a cute car but nobody wants a STUDEBAKER enough said. have a grate day. leonard.

tsenecal
03-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Keep trying Leonard. Somebody else will come along, that thinks it looks cute. It sounds like it is a good dependable driver, that someone will want to have.