DG 200 250 torque converter ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: DG 200 250 torque converter ID

Does anyone have samples of a 150, 200 or 250 type converter and a way to tell which is which? I'm trying to ID one but I do not have 'known' samples to compare. We were thinking the 150 would be smaller, probably less ring gear teeth.

The ring gear teeth may help separate the 150 from the rest, but the other 2 would be very similar so they may be hard to tell apart.

Maybe there is some other difference or tell tale mark or design feature would pin point what we have?

I did read on another site the 200 and 250 converter are the same ( but no documentation)

Another reminder to tag your parts .....

Maybe Jerry Kurtz will chime in here. If not, you could send him a PM.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Mike if an old torque converter catalog could be found, it would have the answer. I'm working on Odd's 51 Land Cruiser V/8, it has the DG 200. Ihave the converter here and one from a late 53 early 54 Hudson (used when HydraMatic plant burned down) Lou Cote

Comment

The only ID on this is 2 sets of stamped numbers on the ring gear and it has one drain plug. Did not know you did DG's. I have some parts and tools for those.

Comment

By special request only, it's been about 7 years since I last did one. On this one I had an issue getting the clutch piston in the drum even using a mix of STP and ATF, which is very slick. Previous rebuilder must not have had the book, he swapped two washers around and turned one of them over, which put steel instead brass in a thrust position. It didn't run too long as they had lost one of the shoes from the governor support. Lou

Comment

Most of the converters were stamped on the unit itself, the one out there is marked 95823 B. Number on ring gear is likley stude part # or vendor part #. Lou

Comment

Working...
            X