Clamps clamps and more clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Clamps clamps and more clamps

So, I'm doing a cleanup on a '61 Lark which has involved new belts, hoses and water pump. To me, the banjo clamps from NAPA work fine, but look very 2018 and sort of stick out like a sore thumb. I checked Studebaker International for clamps that are more factory, but they list ones from pre-war to Avanti. No worries if I have to use the NAPA versions, but what would you all use for a 1960's car?

Thanks!

Originally posted by ColsCommander View Post
    So, I'm doing a cleanup on a '61 Lark which has involved new belts, hoses and water pump. To me, the banjo clamps from NAPA work fine, but look very 2018 and sort of stick out like a sore thumb. I checked Studebaker International for clamps that are more factory, but they list ones from pre-war to Avanti. No worries if I have to use the NAPA versions, but what would you all use for a 1960's car?

Thanks!
    Depends on what you're doing.

Trying to build a 400 pt show car is one thing, trying to build a good, reliable car is maybe something else.

Myself, I wouldn't try to find bias-ply tires for a 1960 car if I were going to drive it. Modern radial tires are so much better.

Comment

What is a "banjo clamp" ? I googled it and every type of hose clamp I've seen came up; spring clamps, T-bar clamps, what my dad calls "aero seal clamps" or the brits call "jubilee" clamps, draw screw clamps, etc... but nothing I could see as a banjo clamp.

I'm using T-bar clamps on my GT. I expect the factory clamps would be something like these.

Comment

I like original style clamps, and found some good ones on Studebakers in the junk yard.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          What is a "banjo clamp" ? I googled it and every type of hose clamp I've seen came up; spring clamps, T-bar clamps, what my dad calls "aero seal clamps" or the brits call "jubilee" clamps, draw screw clamps, etc... but nothing I could see as a banjo clamp.

I'm using T-bar clamps on my GT. I expect the factory clamps would be something like these.
          A 1960s V8 would have three, not four, of this type for the radiator hoses. The fourth one, the lower hose engine end, would be a flat steel clamp.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The hose clamp pictured puts equal pressure on the hose resulting in a sure long lasting seal with no need to re-tighten. Most other types have a pinch point which result in a poor seal and promotes cracking at the pinch point. They also may require re-tightening as a routine maintenance. I, too, prefer this type of clamp. Great choice.

Comment

The reason that Studebaker used the flat steel clamp on the lower radiator hose is that it is 2 1/8" and the spring type "T-bar" clamps are not made in that size.
              Some owners try to use the 2" spring clamp on the lower radiator hose and these will crack after a while and they lose all their coolant.
              Ask me how I know!!
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I also like the spring clamp style -- I'll go rustle some up. I especially appreciate the tip on the lower hose clamp!

Comment

I'm sure one of these will be what you need.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Some years ago I recall a discussion that the newer hose walls were thinner but stronger than those installed a half century ago, and as a result the old spring clamps might not exert enough sealing pressure. That in judging, points would not be deducted for using a more modern stainless hose clamp; much the same as no deduction for radial tires, as long as they were the appropriate size and that all five matched.
                    My '51 only has spring clamps on the small heater hoses that feed the defroster core. The screw clamps on the major hoses are the originals, but were not used ten years later.
                    But, as bezhawk indicated, Restoration Specialties can pretty much supply whatever type you prefer, while avoiding the inappropriate looking NAPA stainless screw clamp.
                    I also made the mistake thirty years ago of using red heater hose, which Studebaker never used. While mine is a touring car, not a show queen, judges at Lancaster '08 did not deduct points for the red hose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1719853
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So nobody can post a pic of a "banjo" clamp?

This is the T-bar or T-bolt type clamp I'm using. But I'm, also using 4mm thick reinforced silicone hoses.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        So nobody can post a pic of a "banjo" clamp?

This is the T-bar or T-bolt type clamp I'm using. But I'm, also using 4mm thick reinforced silicone hoses.
                        I've never heard the term "banjo clamp" before, and don't see the connection of the pictured T bar clamp to a banjo.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          I've never heard the term "banjo clamp" before, and don't see the connection of the pictured T bar clamp to a banjo.
                          Read posts #1 and #3

Comment

Banjo Corporation is the name of the manufacturer; not necessarily a "type" of clamp.

Last edited by rockne10; 03-12-2018, 10:04 AM.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ok, at least that's somthing. In their catalog they only offer flange clamps which won't work on a hose, and T-bar clamps, like I'm using. I've used many of both, but never heard the term "banjo clamp" So in this application I'd have to assume a T-bar = a Banjo clamp. Crazy!

I guess its the same as the "aero seal" / "Jubilee" moniker being applied to the standard worm drive hose clamp. It depends on the name of the company that popularized them in the respective country.

Comment

Working...
                              X