PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Electric Fuel Pump: is there a drop in the tank application?

6hk71400
03-09-2018, 06:37 PM
I have been looking on the forum to see if there is a after market drop in fuel pump for a Studebaker tank. I was thinking that it could drop in where the fuel gauge float is located and you could have combined fuel gauge/electric fuel pump operation. Any one know of an application? If not, are there tech experts that would have an idea to modify an existing application?

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Jeff_H
03-09-2018, 07:20 PM
I looked into that a few years ago and the hole is too small for the in-tank fuel modules. So, I went with a external pump.

There are places that will modify your tank to install a sump and flange for the lock ring so a pump/float assy can be installed.

The situation may have changed though....

Here are some links after a quick search. No experience with any of these:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/mode=prod/prd84.htm

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Submersible-EFI-Retrofit-Fuel-Pump-Module,227433.html

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/tech-help/phantom/

Some of the above look like could be they fit in the sender hole. The ones I remember from years ago, the tank was cut and a recessed section welded in for the pump mounting flange.

JoeHall
03-09-2018, 08:10 PM
I have been running in-tank pumps, in conjunction with EFI, on the 62 and 63 GTs, for several years now. I got them from tanks inc.. It takes a bit of ingenuity to fit them into the Stude tank, but not that difficult. OTOH, if I ever installed another EFI, I'd just go with an in-line pump. They are pretty much trouble free nowadays, so I have heard, from a reliable source.

T.J. lavallee
03-09-2018, 08:47 PM
An external in line pump is the way to go. Simple to install and replace if the need arises. I hate draining and pulling a tank to get to the fuel pump, don't you? Mine is very dependable having installed it two years ago. I use mine with a toggle switch to fill my float bowl as my car sits for over a week. Modern fuels evaporate very quickly especially here in the desert. I only run the pump for a few seconds, shut it off and start the V8. Works like a Champ on my Lark. (Pardon the pun)

JoeHall
03-10-2018, 02:18 PM
An external in line pump is the way to go. Simple to install and replace if the need arises. I hate draining and pulling a tank to get to the fuel pump, don't you? Mine is very dependable having installed it two years ago. I use mine with a toggle switch to fill my float bowl as my car sits for over a week. Modern fuels evaporate very quickly especially here in the desert. I only run the pump for a few seconds, shut it off and start the V8. Works like a Champ on my Lark. (Pardon the pun)

If the OP was talking about a pump for a carbed motor, I would not even consider an in tank pump. For same reasons as you. But when I ran electric pumps in carbed Studes, I always did away with the OEM mechanical pump, and just used the electrical.