Pop Quiz: 1957 Golden Hawk / Hemmings Daily Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: 1957 Golden Hawk / Hemmings Daily Blog

'Looks pretty nice...and considering the prices these are starting to bring, might even be reasonably priced if it is in good condition

EDIT: See Post #12 in this thread for a POP QUIZ and a chance to win a small, NOS 1964 Studebaker full-line brochure. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-10-2018, 01:17 PM. Reason: added quiz
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That does look nice for sure! And with the less common cloth & vinyl seats, and NO radio!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      That does look nice for sure! And with the less common cloth & vinyl seats, and NO radio!! Craig
      And two thumbs-up; one for NO power steering and another for NO power brakes! Woo-Hoo; fewer leaks and maintenance complications! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        And two thumbs-up; one for NO power steering and another for NO power brakes! Woo-Hoo; fewer leaks and maintenance complications! BP
        And YES for a battery hold-down. It would not be complete without that!!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          And YES for a battery hold-down. It would not be complete without that!!! Craig

And it's even a Group 24 battery with the correct rear secondary hold-down bracket to the corner of the cowl!

Life doesn't get any better than that! BP

Comment

Were the shrouds and air cleaner housings originally that glossy? Not trying to nit pick, just trying to learn.

Comment

This is an excellent 1957 Golden Hawk.

It is being sold by a non-Studebaker company. They call the fins "coves" and refer to the AT as a Hydramatic (three times).

It was restored by a non-Studebaker company. A few items that I noticed while watching the video;
              wheelcovers (only correct for 1953-mid-1956) (also the center paint)
              "V8" on dash radio location plate
              "caution fan" sticker
              lower hose clamp
              "STP" label
              H-pipe exhaust
              heater hose clamps (now allowed in SDC judging, but still incorrect for a restoration)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Most Stude things like frames, horns, air cleaners were gloss.

Not to pick at it either, but I have seen a few where the right fin cap does not 'meet' the moulding. Is this common? Trying to fix one now, but it looks to be a defect in the cap. This is a nice car from the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

And it's even a Group 24 battery with the correct rear secondary hold-down bracket to the corner of the cowl!

Life doesn't get any better than that! BP
                  ......Just wondering.......The secondary battery bracket pictured is different from the one on my '57GH.
                  My secondary bracket is bolted to the battery plate, and connected to the firewall...This be in a vertical configuration....
                  Which one is the correct connection?
                  ............PS.......The judges docked me points for a glossy air cleaner and fan shroud.......Dulling spray should solve it...........

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    Most Stude things like frames, horns, air cleaners were gloss.

Not to pick at it either, but I have seen a few where the right fin cap does not 'meet' the moulding. Is this common? Trying to fix one now, but it looks to be a defect in the cap. This is a nice car from the pics.
                    ..........After countless hours of trying to narrow the gap between the fin cap and molding strip, I came the realize that this was just an end result of Studebaker "quality control"..........Sooo, I'm living with it..........

Comment

Thanks alaipairod....

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 G hawk during 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1719847

Comment

OK, nit-pickers: Here's a POP QUIZ regarding the subject 1957 Golden Hawk.

This Hawk appears to have been equipped with an option part of which was never re-installed when the car was reassembled. What option is only "partly" there?

The first person to post the correct option's name, part of which is missing, wins an NOS small 1964 Studebaker full-line brochure #P.D-64-11:

Click image for larger version

Name:	64studebrochuresmall.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1719851
                        Last edited by BobPalma; 03-10-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

The option is the windshield washer bag under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by warehouse1 View Post
                            The option is the windshield washer bag under the hood.
                            BINGO, Keith; you got it.

The windshield washer pump can be seen near the brake pedal and the nozzles are in place on the cowl panel, but there is no washer bag under the hood.

Is your address still on Madison Street in Carthage NY, per the new, 2018 SDC Roster? Please confirm and I'll get the small brochure out to you Monday, March 12. BP

Comment

That's still the address. Thanks a lot.

I have almost the same car in my garage.
                              Last edited by warehouse1; 03-11-2018, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X