PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: 58 Phawk gas tank leak

PackarDan
03-08-2018, 10:56 AM
the last time I filled the gas tank it slowly leaked until the gauge read about 1/2, then the leak stopped. I noticed when researching this problem that there is "gas filler hose" for this car. This sounds like it may be like a Fernco rubber fitting used to connect to solid pipes together. Could this be my problem? Is it possible that this has dried out over the years a developed a crack, or perhaps one of the straps intended to seal each end has worked its way loose? The evidence of the slow leak is definitely directly below the left side of the car beneath the fill hose.

Blue 15G
03-08-2018, 11:06 AM
It could be one of several problems, a leak in a steel fuel line, rubber fuel hose, the filler hose or the tank itself. Sometimes a leak occurs where the sending unit goes into the top of the tank but I don't think you'd lose a half tank of gas because of that. I would be surprised if it was caused by a clamp failing, but.....you'll just have to get under it to see.

thunderations
03-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Let's put this into perspective. Subtract 1958 from 2018 and the age of those rubber hoses is.......wait for it......SIXTY YEARS. Almost old enough for Social Security.
Why not replace any and all rubber lines at this time, just as a precaution?

paul shuffleburg
03-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I had the rubber filler hose go bad on my 51 Commander, but the only
time I noticed it was when I was fueling the car. The hose was bad
down on the tank neck and it didn't leak when driving(much???)

1954khardtop
03-08-2018, 02:39 PM
There is a molded rubber hose connecting the tank and filler tube. If it is leaking at the tank end that would be about 1/2 tank.
I bought a new one from Studebaker International, and I'm sure other parts vendors have it. It's a bit of a pain to install. If I remember correctly I had to turn it 90 degrees to get it on the tank, then twist it to line up with the filler tube.

GrumpyOne
03-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Also, don't discount the possibility of a seepage from the spotweld(s) where the two halves of the tank join as one. Had this occur on a Champ pick up some years ago. Also, due to age, the tank is probably due for a cleaning...

PackarDan
03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I'll just have to drain and drop the tank for a closer look. I just popped in here to see if the filler hose might have been a common source for leaks.

TWChamp
03-08-2018, 05:09 PM
I would fill the tank enough to spot the leak before you remove the tank. My 1950 Champion was restored about 1993 and had a new rubber filler coupler hose installed, but when I cleaned the tank 2 years ago I noticed it had a couple surface cracks starting, so I put another new one on. The ethanol crap gas took out the rubber tank line on my 49 Chevy truck, and I lost a full tank of gas.

altair
03-10-2018, 10:32 AM
A safe and efficient way to find a leak in the gas tank is to remove the fuel line at the fuel pump and blow air into the line either with a partner or using a long hose that will reach to the tank area and spray soapy water over the suspect areas and look for bubbles.