Some progress on 1932 Indy car project - and Exner's futuristic Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some progress on 1932 Indy car project - and Exner's futuristic Studebaker

I went off to Wray Schelin's Pro Shaper shop in Charlton, MA for a 4-day workshop in aluminum body building, brought a buck for the cockpit made from 1/4-inch steel rod, as endorsed by Wary. During the 4 days of 9:00 am to 10:00 pm work, I learned a lot more about forming and welding aluminum (and steel). With Wray's assistance and hours of his excellent work, we got most of the cockpit section for my 1932 Studebaker Indy car replica formed and welded. More work lies ahead as the tail section will be very complicated.

Wray has been fascinated by a drawing made by Virgil Exner Sr. in 1947 of a proposed futuristic Studebaker, so much so that he is fabricating a body to build one. There was only one view of the car ever drawn up, as far as Wray knows, and nothing was ever built. But, someday soon, there may be a real one. He wants to have it be electric powered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary Ash-Wray Schelin-Indy car cockpit.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	1757418Click image for larger version

Name:	Exner future car 1947.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1757419Click image for larger version

Name:	Exner future car body-ProShaper.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1757420
    Last edited by garyash; 03-07-2018, 08:06 AM.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Super cool Gary. What a neat project. And the Exner prototype (can we call it that?) is amazing. It looks like you are really enjoying yourself. Bravo!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Gary , that looks fantastic!
      Good luck with the rest for sure
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Clarence "Kelly' Johnson would be proud!

He did wind tunnel aerodynamic work on the Studebaker Indy racers during his senior year at the University of Michigan.
        Then he started playing with airplanes.

Kelly Johnson was a giant in aircraft design. On the 100th anniversary of his birth, we find out how his legend grew
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That is too cool! That's going to be the best looking futuristic car I've seen. I wish I was having that kind of fun.

Comment

Just when I was wondering how the Indy car project was coming along. That cockpit looks great. Keep the reports coming.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

One word: AMAZING ! ! !

Comment

Gary,
                Thanks for sharing both projects with us all on the Forum.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

I just caught the 1974 flick "Flash Gordon" on late night TV. Timely!

Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

For all the neigh-sayers about Facebook, you're missing out on great photos and content that is available related to this project. If there wasn't 3K miles of Atlantic Ocean to get across, I'd be up for learning on something like this, but great to follow from afar
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Excellent update! Thanks!! Yes, I've been looking at the additional photos on Facebook as well.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                        I went off to Wrap Schelin's Pro Shaper shop in Charlton, MA for a 4-day workshop in aluminum body building, brought a buck for the cockpit made from 1/4-inch steel rod, as endorsed by Wary. During the 4 days of 9:00 am to 10:00 pm work, I learned a lot more about forming and welding aluminum (and steel). With Wray's assistance and hours of his excellent work, we got most of the cockpit section for my 1932 Studebaker Indy car replica formed and welded.
                        That is some beautiful work. Is Wrap in your first post a misspelling or is there a Wrap and Wray?
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          That is some beautiful work. Is Wrap in your first post a misspelling or is there a Wrap and Wray?
                          I will assume the former since it has Wray on the shop wall. From a different Gary.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's "Wray". I just can't type. Looks like I'll have to give in and get on Facebook since there seem to be many subjects that I can't get to any other way, including my children and grandchildren. And I'm not on LinkedIn, either!
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Sure would be nice if you posted a link to make it easy for people to find it on Facebook.
                              There are several billion people on there and so many pages that a simple search is almost impossible...

Help us all out here!!!!

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                              For all the neigh-sayers about Facebook, you're missing out on great photos and content that is available related to this project. If there wasn't 3K miles of Atlantic Ocean to get across, I'd be up for learning on something like this, but great to follow from afar
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X