‘31 Four Season Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘31 Four Season Friday

The Cade Museum here in Gainesville isn’t having its grand opening until May, but they’re having an event there tomorrow and the staff wants a half-dozen of the family’s Studes on display.. Specifically the ‘31 President. Part of the “appeal” is the opportunity to ride in the rumble seat if one wants to.

While the car hasn’t left the shop in a number of years, this past week was devoted to getting it road worthy again. This morning I was given the honor of driving it the half hour ride from the shop to the new museum. With the big straight 8 and a later T86 Overdrive transmission, it’ll go faster than I wanted to go. I’ve had the opportunity to drive a lot of cool cars, but it might be down hill from here. I still can’t seem to wipe the grin off of my face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74A1A7D0-1C5C-4EC4-8F1B-649198A841EA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1757396

Name:	C4561017-13A6-4FEE-9AFF-B7C5095BF2C3.jpg
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1757397
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-02-2018, 08:31 PM.

You shouldn't be wiping anything off your face other than a bug or two - not many people have had that opportunity - can only imagine what it might be like with that huge wheel in your hands and that long hood stretched out in front of you...

Is the museum going to have a rotating display of Studebakers once it is up and running?

Comment

Congratulations! Darned few Studbaker fans have the opportunity.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

Is the museum going to have a rotating display of Studebakers once it is up and running?
        Most of the family’s Studebakers will end up being donated to the museum (a few of them already have been) and the museum will own them indefinitely. It’s evolved into a lot more than cars and Gatorade, in fact those are just a small piece of it. It was pretty neat to see it all first hand today.

A few of the cars are on display in a renovated building across the street from the main museum and an additional car building will be built in the next couple of years or so. Doc Cade always felt that maintaining the cars in operational condition and sharing the experience was an important part of having a Studebaker collection, and the museum staff is on track to keep that going. The museum is big on being hands-on and interactive, so part of today’s activities included the opportunity to ride in the ‘31 and Stephen’s slightly modified ‘63 Lark. It’s a cool thing to be a part of.

Name:	C2F49548-C162-4C2B-ADD0-694A839787F2.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1719740

Name:	9BD44DEC-E12B-4471-80EC-2A7B5208F7C4.jpg
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1719741

Name:	39B9EA6A-3F3F-45BC-817D-56F44D504EA5.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1719742
        Last edited by mbstude; 03-03-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Is this museum part of the U of F, or at least on their grounds? I remember Dr. Cade telling me that he had purchased a tract of land at an Interstate intersection/exit and that he planned on making a museum there. This did not happen during his lifetime. Is that where this museum is? If not, what happened to that tract of land?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The purchase of the land by the Interstate ended up not happening. That idea was tossed around when there was talk of a car museum. It ended up evolving into much more than that. Since Doc was much more than a car guy, it seems fitting.

The Cade Museum is its own entity, not a part of UF or on their grounds. It’s on Main Street in downtown Gainesville, and ties into a city park.

The Cade Museum for Creativity and Invention is committed to transforming communities by inspiring and empowering future inventors, entrepreneurs, and visionaries. Plan your visit today!
            Last edited by mbstude; 03-03-2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              The purchase of the land by the Interstate ended up not happening. That idea was tossed around when there was talk of a car museum. It ended up evolving into much more than that. Since Doc was much more than a car guy, it seems fitting.

The Cade Museum is its own entity, not a part UF or on their grounds. It’s on Main Street in downtown Gainesville, and ties into a city park.

https://www.cademuseum.org
              Matthew - Thank you for the information and the link. The only place that I found an address for the Museum is under "contact". I believe that the Museum location (and perhaps the map) should be on the main page or at least linked from there.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X