This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my car's history

I have a 1958 Silver Hawk I aquired several years ago from a friend. He bought it as the third owner, the second being a used car dealer who traded it in in the early 60's and wound up putting it in the back of a warehouse because he thought his kids would like to have it. The car has 25k showing on the odometer, and my friend bought it as such. I have got the car running, driving, and stopping again, and everything I see leads me to belive that is true. The car drives nice and tight, it still has two of the 60's vintage belted tires on it.

Is there a way I can trace the history to find out the original owner's names and so forth? I am trying to decide what to do with the car. Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. After 48 yrears I doubt that any records still exist. While you do not state where you are, it may be possible that your state still has records back that far or that the dealer is still in business handling other brands.

I would start by getting a copy of the production order from the National Museum. This will list the options as well as indicate where the car was delivered to.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. After 48 yrears I doubt that any records still exist. While you do not state where you are, it may be possible that your state still has records back that far or that the dealer is still in business handling other brands.

I would start by getting a copy of the production order from the National Museum. This will list the options as well as indicate where the car was delivered to.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

As mentioned, different states have different time periods in tracking titles. Some states don't even require titles (still use a bill of sale). California may be able to track back into the '60's because black plates issued in 1963 are still in use. While vehicle registration does not confirm the ability to run a title seach, it doesn't hurt [8)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

As mentioned, different states have different time periods in tracking titles. Some states don't even require titles (still use a bill of sale). California may be able to track back into the '60's because black plates issued in 1963 are still in use. While vehicle registration does not confirm the ability to run a title seach, it doesn't hurt [8)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
          Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
          LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

For clues as to the car's earliest history, you could buy a copy of the production order for your car from the Studebaker museum. This will tell you the exact date your Hawk was built and how it was equipped from the factory. It'll also reveal the original engine number so you can tell if the Hawk's had an engine transplant thru the years. (Not saying that that's likely, mind you)
            And SOMETIMES (and it's the exception rather than the rule) there's information regarding what Studebaker dealer (and location thereof) a given car was delivered to - especially if the car was a special order and not one just built for inventory.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For clues as to the car's earliest history, you could buy a copy of the production order for your car from the Studebaker museum. This will tell you the exact date your Hawk was built and how it was equipped from the factory. It'll also reveal the original engine number so you can tell if the Hawk's had an engine transplant thru the years. (Not saying that that's likely, mind you)
              And SOMETIMES (and it's the exception rather than the rule) there's information regarding what Studebaker dealer (and location thereof) a given car was delivered to - especially if the car was a special order and not one just built for inventory.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know where you are located, but in Pennsylvania it's very difficult to get any cooperation in researching previous vehicle ownership. Case in point, my '54 Champion was not registered from 1966 to 1996. The title did state that it was originally titled in PA on January 5, 1954. I filled out the necessary forms to do a title search, and all the state could tell me was the name of the guy I bought the car from (duh). Phone calls proved fruitless, even though someone in Harrisburg claimed that the records ARE on microfilm there.

I attempted this back in 1996 and 1997. A new problem has come up since then as well...all these new "privacy" laws. The new forms state that if you get the information, you're not allowed to use it to contact anyone!

Of course, this is just (typically goofy) Pennsylvania. "Your results may vary".

Comment

I don't know where you are located, but in Pennsylvania it's very difficult to get any cooperation in researching previous vehicle ownership. Case in point, my '54 Champion was not registered from 1966 to 1996. The title did state that it was originally titled in PA on January 5, 1954. I filled out the necessary forms to do a title search, and all the state could tell me was the name of the guy I bought the car from (duh). Phone calls proved fruitless, even though someone in Harrisburg claimed that the records ARE on microfilm there.

I attempted this back in 1996 and 1997. A new problem has come up since then as well...all these new "privacy" laws. The new forms state that if you get the information, you're not allowed to use it to contact anyone!

Of course, this is just (typically goofy) Pennsylvania. "Your results may vary".

Comment

Working...
                  X