Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug wires

Guys,
    if i may ask what brand and size in (mm) spark plug wires are you using on a stock Studebaker 289 4bbl with a Delco points (window) distributor ? Also what is the OHMs resistance on them. Do you need a bigger mm wire when using a HEI distributor ? The wires on the car now are 6mm.....On some HEI cars I have owned certain spark plugs would continually foul because the resistance on that wire was too much and the spark was too weak. After checking and changing to a lower resistance wire it all but stopped. I know that the length of wire has a lot to do with it but some brands and sizes are better than others.

Stuhawk

Some plug wires are carbon core, and some have a fine coiled wire, similar to a small diameter long spring stretched out.
    Since all my old cars have copper wires, I haven't kept up on which cars use the fine coiled wire, but that might be what you need.

Comment

I don't remember what brand wires (8mm after market in yellow box, red orange wire, 7mm dist. ends), I am using. The car isn't avalable right now so I can't look. They were semi-fit for big block Chev. Cut to fit and work great.-Jim

Comment

I believe the HEI ignition systems need the spiral wound wires for best performance.

Comment

You need 7mm Resistance Wires on your Delco Window with Points, there is slight resistance in the Rotor, so Resistance Plugs are never needed, but if you use some kind of Custom HEI Mod Dist., you will need the 8mm Wires.

Don't sweat the OHM's, all Radio Resistance wires work with the correct system.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the replys.
            StudeRich thanks for the specific info about what's needed for my application.

Stuhawk

Comment

Working...
            X