Studebaker Red Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Red Line

Can someone tell me what the RPM red line is on a Studebaker 289 factory stock with a 4 bbl carburetor ? I think the factory specs for a 289 with a 4 bbl Carter WCFB is 225 HP @ 4500 RPM.
    It doesn't show a red line on the tach and since it is a 4 spd manual I would just like to know.
    Also on all the modified Studebaker 289 engines what is the most RPMs one could reasonably expect ?

Stuhawk

On a typical 225hp, the valves begin to float and power falls off dramatically above 4,500 and there's no point in going beyond 5,000 RPMs.

As to the most RPMs one could reasonably expect on a modified engine, it depends. When I'm discussing builds with potential customers, I tell them, "Revs are the most expensive horsepower." Modify the valve train to be stable at higher RPMs and above 6,500, the stock connecting rods begin to stretch at the shoulder. At some point, one will deform enough to lose the hydraulic wedge, the bearing will then be metal on metal and there will be a brief period of knock before the rod breaks.

Go with best science valve train, custom connecting rods, light weight forged pistons and a normally aspirated Stude 289" could probably turn 10,000 RPMs. Of course, there'd be no point, because the heads ran out of breathing to make horsepower at about 6,800.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I would red line your engine at 4950 RPM (ten percent above the horsepower peak). Of course, you should not be regularly operating it to that absolute upper limit.
      Last edited by studegary; 02-27-2018, 02:29 PM. Reason: Corrected mistake pointed out by Jack
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

PackardV8 and studegary,
        thanks for the info and I will heed your recommendations . So many of the modern cars and trucks today turn up to a lot higher RPMs than the older cars. I always thought that 5000 RPM was kinda like a benchmark and the hot rodded engines went up from there. I'm not all that familiar with Studebaker V8s, except there tougher than "woodpecker Lips", lol all kidding aside.

Stuhawk

Comment

Most people's hair stands on end when the rpm gets much over 5 grand.
          The stock rod bolts are the usual failure item at higher rpm's.
          Valve springs will usually allow valve float before things get sketchy...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

True no point in revving it above 4-5,000 anyway. It's not a race motor in most cases. For everyone on here that likes to bad mouth a small block chev and I like my stude's as much as the next guy but a chevy, stock block,stock steel crank, stock rods with better bolts and forged pistons, and roller cam will go over 7,000 all day long and make horse power to real close to that before it starts to drop off. Maybe that's why they have been the go to motor on the race tracks for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
              PackardV8 and studegary,
              thanks for the info and I will heed your recommendations . So many of the modern cars and trucks today turn up to a lot higher RPMs than the older cars. I always thought that 5000 RPM was kinda like a benchmark and the hot rodded engines went up from there. I'm not all that familiar with Studebaker V8s, except there tougher than "woodpecker Lips", lol all kidding aside.

Stuhawk
              Yes, I turn the V6 in my everyday car up beyond 6K on an almost daily basis. I remember that taking my B-block 1966 Charger up to 6K was a big deal. I would not go 5K with a stock Studebaker V8.

EDIT: Then again, in my youth I regularly took my Studebaker 289 V8 up to valve float (something like 120 MPH indicated on the speedometer).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Most people's hair stands on end when the rpm gets much over 5 grand.
                The stock rod bolts are the usual failure item at higher rpm's.
                Valve springs will usually allow valve float before things get sketchy...
                Jeff,
                Hair stands on end brings up a "What If".
                Every time I see a guy rev er up on a dino machine at maximum RPM I just wince thinking how much stress and is it going to blow up, or what ......"Scary ".

Stuhawk

Comment

Jeff,
                  Hair stands on end brings up a "What If".
                  Every time I see a guy rev er up on a dino machine at maximum RPM I just wince thinking how much stress and is it going to blow up, or what ......"Scary ".

Stuhawk
                  Engines are designed and built to withstand long use within their performance envelope. Turning them to safe maximum RPMs is actually less harmful than many cold starts for short trips or long hours of stop-and-go idling.

I've had the opportunity to be present at tear-downs of engines which ran 100,000 miles at full power. They were in better condition inside than mom-mobiles which spent their life going the same miles at low RPMs.

Wind it up to max power every time the opportunity presents itself. You aren't hurting anything.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

The designers stated that they were testing them at full load @ 5000 rpm for 100 hours and found no discernible problems. That is a direct quote form the SAE paper on the design of the V8.
                    Last edited by bezhawk; 02-28-2018, 06:25 AM.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Te designers stated that they were testing them at full load @ 5000 rpm for 100 hours and found no discernible problems. That is a direct quote form the SAE paper on the design of the V8.
                      That speaks volumes about the Studebaker V8s. Thanks for sharing and I'll admit that is a surprise.
                      Stuhawk

Comment

Apples and oranges...
                        Big difference between a new engine on a dyno and a used engine (or a rebuild with used parts) going out and being flogged.
                        My comment was about the everyday Joe taking his ol' Stude and wringing it out.
                        Y'all nitpick away... Winter's almost over
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That speaks volumes about the Studebaker V8s. Thanks for sharing and I'll admit that is a surprise.
                          Stuhawk
                          I have a Stude V8 that'll go 6000 rpm anytime I want. Of course, it is far from stock.
                          61 lark cruiser
                          64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Well I ain't gonna wring mine out, just gonna fumble the black top at 65 or 70 mph

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            Apples and oranges...
                            Big difference between a new engine on a dyno and a used engine (or a rebuild with used parts) going out and being flogged.
                            My comment was about the everyday Joe taking his ol' Stude and wringing it out.
                            Y'all nitpick away... Winter's almost over
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                            X