decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decoding

I just acquired a '52 2R pick-up. The data plate includes Model, Cab, Trim, and Paint numbers. Is there a reference guide that decodes these numbers?

Just tell us what the plates say, and your questions will be answered. But for example, here's a start: 2R5-12
    2R series - 1949 to 1953 models
    A 5 indicates Champion 6, a 6 indicates the larger Commander 6
    12 - indicates wheelbase of 112 inches
    VIN will be something like R5-11712. The latter numbers are just the sequential number of production, and can be used to determine model year if you didn't already know it.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Just tell us what the plates say, and your questions will be answered. But for example, here's a start: 2R5-12
      2R series - 1949 to 1953 models
      A 5 indicates Champion 6, a 6 indicates the larger Commander 6
      12 - indicates wheelbase of 112 inches
      VIN will be something like R5-11712. The latter numbers are just the sequential number of production, and can be used to determine model year if you didn't already know it.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip, Here goes; Model-2R-C2, Cab-220228, Trim-T-6041, Paint-P-2403. The second data plate on the seat riser is stamped R11-7356. The engine is stamped 6R 17010.

Comment

Thanks Skip, Here goes; Model-2R-C2, Cab-220228, Trim-T-6041, Paint-P-2403. The second data plate on the seat riser is stamped R11-7356. The engine is stamped 6R 17010.

Comment

That would be a 3/4 Ton 8 ft. box 122 wheelbase with a Commander "Big 6" 245 engine. The 1953's start at R11-5926, so that makes it a fairly late 1953 year model. It is a C2 Standard cab. A 6R engine is the correct 245 engine for a 2R11.

The model and wheelbase is at the bottom of the Serial number plate, on the seat riser. That is the real Serial plate, the one on the door post is only Cab info.

None of this info is any big secret, you can find it all in your 2R thru. 2E ('49-'56) Studebaker Parts Catalog available from most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

The cab info and paint codes are not in the Parts catalog, you may need the production order from the Studebaker National Museum, they also have a website.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That would be a 3/4 Ton 8 ft. box 122 wheelbase with a Commander "Big 6" 245 engine. The 1953's start at R11-5926, so that makes it a fairly late 1953 year model. It is a C2 Standard cab. A 6R engine is the correct 245 engine for a 2R11.

The model and wheelbase is at the bottom of the Serial number plate, on the seat riser. That is the real Serial plate, the one on the door post is only Cab info.

None of this info is any big secret, you can find it all in your 2R thru. 2E ('49-'56) Studebaker Parts Catalog available from most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

The cab info and paint codes are not in the Parts catalog, you may need the production order from the Studebaker National Museum, they also have a website.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks again, Any idea on the paint?

Comment

Thanks again, Any idea on the paint?

Comment

Hey Steve - welcome to the Forum! Post a picture of your new steed when you have a minute or two.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Hey Steve - welcome to the Forum! Post a picture of your new steed when you have a minute or two.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar
                      3E-6/7-122
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

P-2403 is the factory number for the combination of Yukon gray, a medium gray, on the body and Cherokee Red on the wheels.
                        T-6041 is the trim color Pilot Gray, a light shade. On the interior, the dash, door frames and some other pieces would match the body color. The seat frame, headliner, sun visors, glove box door, instrument panel and door panels would all be trim color. 2R trim colors weren't really an option, the factory would choose a color and use it in all trucks for a year or two before selecting a new color.
                        Does this jive with the colors on your truck now?

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

P-2403 is the factory number for the combination of Yukon gray, a medium gray, on the body and Cherokee Red on the wheels.
                          T-6041 is the trim color Pilot Gray, a light shade. On the interior, the dash, door frames and some other pieces would match the body color. The seat frame, headliner, sun visors, glove box door, instrument panel and door panels would all be trim color. 2R trim colors weren't really an option, the factory would choose a color and use it in all trucks for a year or two before selecting a new color.
                          Does this jive with the colors on your truck now?

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Mark, I will post some pics......... Dwain, I appreciate the color info. The truck has been painted blue at some point. My dad had a couple of these trucks for his business in the early 50's, one was green ( with white walls ) and the other chrome yellow. I think I'm going with one of these instead of gray.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Mark, I will post some pics......... Dwain, I appreciate the color info. The truck has been painted blue at some point. My dad had a couple of these trucks for his business in the early 50's, one was green ( with white walls ) and the other chrome yellow. I think I'm going with one of these instead of gray.

Comment

Working...
                              X