Lead additive for gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead additive for gas

I'm ready to start driving my newly restored '50 Champion, and in reviewing some suggestions from a mechanic, he said I need to use a lead additive in the gas to keep the valves from sticking. Just in case it varies across the country, the gas around here is unleaded 86 octane.
    Do you use an additive????

I have a friend here in Indiana who has a limited supply of real lead additive he sells by the quart.While he field of expertise is Corvette fuel injection service and repair (think 60,s Rochester type) he had rounded up a supply.I have used some of this in a few of my Studebakers. Email: PodellsFI@aol.com to inquire if any remains.

Comment

I have a friend here in Indiana who has a limited supply of real lead additive he sells by the quart.While he field of expertise is Corvette fuel injection service and repair (think 60,s Rochester type) he had rounded up a supply.I have used some of this in a few of my Studebakers. Email: PodellsFI@aol.com to inquire if any remains.

Comment

While gas does vary somewhat around the country (and between summer and winter), leaded gas is no longer available for automotive use in the US or Canada. If you feel that you need it, you will have to buy lead additive (which is still legal for use in pre-1975 vehicles).

If your Champion is going to be used primarily for pleasure driving and for only a few thousand miles a year, you probably don't need it. If you were going to tow a trailer or do a lot of high-speed driving, a shot or two of lead additive once in a while might be good insurance against valve seat wear. A little bit of lead goes a long way. Unleaded Amoco gas has been sold since at least the 1930s, and no one blamed it for valve problems then.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

While gas does vary somewhat around the country (and between summer and winter), leaded gas is no longer available for automotive use in the US or Canada. If you feel that you need it, you will have to buy lead additive (which is still legal for use in pre-1975 vehicles).

If your Champion is going to be used primarily for pleasure driving and for only a few thousand miles a year, you probably don't need it. If you were going to tow a trailer or do a lot of high-speed driving, a shot or two of lead additive once in a while might be good insurance against valve seat wear. A little bit of lead goes a long way. Unleaded Amoco gas has been sold since at least the 1930s, and no one blamed it for valve problems then.

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Your mechanic is incorrect, you don't need leaded gas except in the most extreme applications like towing a load.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Lark 2 door
            57 wagon
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Your mechanic is incorrect, you don't need leaded gas except in the most extreme applications like towing a load.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Lark 2 door
              57 wagon
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

And why would "lead" keep valves from "sticking"? I thot it was the valve SEATS that needed it.

John

Comment

And why would "lead" keep valves from "sticking"? I thot it was the valve SEATS that needed it.

John

Comment

Bob,
                    Listen to these guys. No need for lead in a Champion engine. You'll do just fine with unleaded.
                    I'm reminded of Amoco gas back in the '50s & '60s. Their premium gas was unleaded. They called it "white gas".
                    As far as I know, you only need some sort of supplement in engines with high compression ratios, like the muscle cars. And I'm not sure these engines really need it.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Bob,
                      Listen to these guys. No need for lead in a Champion engine. You'll do just fine with unleaded.
                      I'm reminded of Amoco gas back in the '50s & '60s. Their premium gas was unleaded. They called it "white gas".
                      As far as I know, you only need some sort of supplement in engines with high compression ratios, like the muscle cars. And I'm not sure these engines really need it.
                      Rog

Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge folks. I appreciate it. Gotta go look for 1950 Texas license plates now.

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge folks. I appreciate it. Gotta go look for 1950 Texas license plates now.

Comment

Working...
                          X