• Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: weights wait !

Click image for larger version

Name:	G hawk weights wait 021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1757379 You can balance anything.

BUT...........at what speed? I wouldn't want to hang onto the steering wheel with that on any corner of my car. I'd be scared of it as a spare in the trunk.
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]70631[/ATTACH] You can balance anything.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

As a spare in trunk in the snow a benefit and could change weight distribution to if you had Studebaker heavy V8

Comment

If there's ever a lead shortage you'd be rich!!!

treblig

Comment

A tire shop tried that on my Nissan 280Z one time when buying new tires. First they tried to say that my wheel was bent. I made them get another new tire that was not out of round.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Had a wheel/tire like that back in 2010 - these weights were on the same place on the wheel - inside and out...

Comment

When I see a tire needing that kind of weight the first thing I look for is an unseated bead. It just shouldn't need that kind of weight on a modern tire. One of the old retreads maybe but I haven't even seen a retread in years.
              Rob

Comment

There is something seriously wrong here.

First, spin the wheel. Look to see if the rim runs true, then look at how the tyre runs. If there is no run out on the rim but the tyre is moving all over the place, either the tyre is mounted wrong or badly mis-shapen. Even if the rim is the problem, they should have called it to your attention before balancing the wheel. Also, you can mount this on the front axle with the freest turning bearing. You might find it's all out of balance and somebody didn't re-check their work.

Lastly, if the tyre runs true and is actually balanced, the tyre needs to go. The cause of wheel imbalance is in the tyre due to a variation in wall thickness of the casing. So, tyre guy balances wheel with a bucket load of weights in one spot. When you spin the wheel at increasing speeds, centrifugal force will cause the heavy spot on the tyre to "grow" at a greater rate than the rest, essentially giving you a "lumpy" tyre.

Comment

That tire in #6 looks too cracked to be safe on the road. Still OK for a farm trailer in the field though.

Comment

Working...
                  X