51 Commander Problem solving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Commander Problem solving

First I want to thank everyone for the advice and information so far. With the help of the new carb, linkages and brakes, I have her back on the road. I replace the brakes with the 54-66 type and she stops on a dime. Linkages fixed the transmission problems and she shifts well now. Carb and rebuilt kit has the engine running well. She has been tuned and timed.

Now the issue. When she sits a day she will not start. She just turns over until the battery dies. Has the two barrel Stromberg. If I shoot starter fluid in the carb she will start. I am going to trouble shoot but as always you guys may know the answer already. Some have suggested that the bowl is draining. But when I push the pedal it squirts gas in. Then it floods and still does not start. I have had suggestions that the points need to be replaced because the spark may not be hot enough. The manual states that the choke might need adjustment. The fuel pump works fine. The gas bowl is full of gas and the see through filter is moving fuel. Plus it accelerates without hesitation when floored.

Thoughts before I start to tear into things?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Is it still the original 6-volt system? A quick check is to jump it with 12-volts. If it starts quickly then, your problem is electrical.

1. Are the battery cables original? They corrode over the years. When replacing them, get the same diameter as the original; 12-volt cables are too small.

2. Go down every connection in the ignition system. Grounds corrode over the years.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Forgot that detail. Previous owner converted it to 12 volt. It has a new battery and battery cable of like size. Charging system works well. Yes, I agree grounds can be an issue to check.
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
        The manual states that the choke might need adjustment.
        Is the choke adjusted correctly?

Comment

Some easy things to check; float level or for sticking float, check points condition and setting, make sure the breaker plate inside the distributor is making good ground, check to make sure 12 volts is getting to the coil during cranking and returns to about ~7 volts in the "run" position. Does engine have good compression? Have you tried another coil? New replacement condensers often are bad out of the box, try an old one if you have one laying around.

Comment

Jack, he says it turns over until the battery dies.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Is the choke adjusted correctly?
              I will second this as the first place to look based on your description.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jim, how old is the fuel in the tank? If it is more than a couple of months old, the light ends may have evaporated, leaving a residue that does not vaporize well on a cold start.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Just finished restoring the tank last week. Fresh gas.
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Accelerator pump comes to mind. Open the butterflies on the carb and see if you get a shot of gas down the barrels. If you don’t, no amount of cranking will start it. Your shot of either statement leads me in that direction. I currently have a Ford Mustang that suffers from that same malady
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I have three cars and a lawnmower that have a carburetor. All must be primed after having sat for more than a day. I keep a baby food jar of gasoline in the garage for that use. From my reading of your original question I would rule out electrical problems because electrical problems cannot be bypassed with starter fluid. However, I am not clear on when you see fuel when you operate the linkage. If fuel enters the bowl when operating the linkage after the car has sat for more than a day, but it will not start without starter fluid, then I could be wrong about ruling out electrical. I hope you find the problem quickly.

Comment

I had the same trouble on my 63S-K6. The car would start only after pouring a little gas down the carb. It was the spongy filter located in the fuel pump bowl (#PF 161, if I recall well). it looked in good shape but was enough clogged internally to empeach the gas to go to the carb. I took it away and put an inline filter. Problem solved! I hope this will work for you, too.
                        Nice day to all.
                        sigpic

Comment

On my Studebakers and other antique cars and trucks I've owned over the past few years I always use a shot or two of Starter Fluid if they sat more than a day or so (even overnight). It saves a lot of cranking and cursing. Just make sure choke plate recloses after squirting in the fluid.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I’ve never had that problem. I send my carbs to Dave T. whenever I get a new car, running or not, as a matter of practice. My cars sit 4-6 weeks at a time and start within 20 seconds of cranking.

Comment

agree with a possible choke problem. i'd start with a cold engine with key on and pump the gas pedal once. check to see if the choke closes in the carb. if it doesn't, adjust the choke so it barely closes all the way.

another thought - since you live in a warm climate, you may not need the choke to close all the way. i had this problem on the '40 when i lived a bit south of here. in the summer, the closed choke would cause flooding. i opened it up to about halfway. started every time.
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X