toe in question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toe in question

I've got a question for all you alignment knowledgeable Studebaker people out there. I was once told by an alignment shop guy that when radial tires are used, one should increase the toe-in about one eighth inch over what factory specs dictate. Since this was a generic line-up man rather than a Stude expert, I'd like to know if we should agree with his statement,or is there anything Stude-specific that would make his observation incorrect for our applications. Thanks for the help.
    Larry

He said "Increase"??? You should go to another shop. With radials, you run as close to zero toe in as you can. You have to have some angle to counter for looseness in tie rods, etc or else you'll get a lot of wheel wobble.
    I use about 1/16 on my Avanti

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Toe-in is a tire wearing angle. As Bob says, you need a little, 1/16 sounds about right.
      /H

Comment

Also it cuts down on the "wondering" or "hunting" while driving down a straight, even road.
        This "partially"...caused by worn parts, but also in the movement in the whole front suspension.

I'd say 1/16" is a tad light. Even new cars use closer to 3/32".
        But if less works, the tire wear is good and the car doesn't hunt around...use it.

Mike

Comment

I've always been told "zero" toe-in w/ radials

Comment

1/16 is what I use for mine.....jack zero toe gets you in trouble fast with a Stude as there are so many places for wear to add slack. For the toe set I make sure that my allignment guy is holding all the slack on his side and I hold the slack on my side and still set at 1/16.

Years ago when I started working on cars ther used to be a spring loaded tool that you placed between the front tires to put some asphault load on the stearing to help take the guess work out of accounting for all the slack but I havent seen the tool for many years.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            61 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Since there is no way to actually know what number you should use, I use some abitrary number,say 1/4 or 1/8. Then I mark the tie rod and back out each side half turn until it begins to wander. Then go other way until wander stops. I turn both sides same amount for each adjustment to keep steering box centered. I keep eye on tire wear, but method usually gives good tire wear.

Comment

Zero toe-in with radials is a bad myth. It's nonsense for any road car. Even a brand new suspension has some play, and you end up with toe-out as soon as you start driving.
                /H

Comment

Working...
                X