Still looking for rusty, crusty '50 bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still looking for rusty, crusty '50 bullet

Yesterday I took the hood off the '50 Champion 4-door now serving as yard art and planted an ash tree in the empty engine compartment. Ash trees are fairly fast-growing and I hope it does well. I have two fully mature ash trees in the yard and I think they are beautiful, but it took a lot of looking around here to find a nursery that had any in stock.

I have found and installed all the front end bright stuff except the bullet nose. I expected to go to the Decatur, TX, swap meet this weekend, but that looks like a rain-out.

So I'm back here asking again --- who has a bad looking 1950 bullet nose that could never be good enough to be restored and might be willing to let it go? There have been some on e-bay recently, but most were too good to be used for what I want and all were overpriced for what I want.

Thanks. Tom

The rarity of the 50 and 51 bullets is driving the price up, even for "rusty, crusty" ones.
    There was a plastic reproduction available recently that you might be able to antique and mount onto the hulk to fit your needs.
    I have sold all my extra bullets to people needing them for the cars they are restoring, and at reasonable prices, just reclaiming what I paid for them 6 or 7 years ago when looking for some to complete my cars.
    You might get lucky and find a cracked or broken one that is considered un-repairable that may meet your needs.
    Good luck with your quest.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Sorry, Tom!
      I indicated I have all three parts you want in boxes somewhere and did only a cursory search. My bad.

Sometimes I need a kick!
      Last edited by rockne10; 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah... the only one I have left is wall art.
        sals54

Comment

Tom,

I think I have a pitted & cracked one out in the garage. Once things warm up a bit I'll go out and take a look.

As an aside, the Emerald Ash-Borer (beetle) has been destroying ash trees in many places in the US, I hope you're in an area they haven't hit.
          Last edited by dpson; 02-22-2018, 07:01 AM.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Tom,

I looked in the garage where I thought the bullet was and couldn't find it, sorry.

I may have thrown it away, thinking that nobody would ever want a badly pitted and broken bullet, however if it does turn up I'll send you a PM (its yours for the cost of shipping).
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Tom,
              A Bullet that fits your bill was just listed on ebay. It already has one bid so maybe you found it already but here is the link anyway.

Comment

If the ebay one does not work out...

Here's one for $300 in Texas craigslist:

sals54

Comment

Eeek! That one in Texas is listed for more than I paid for both the car (basically scrap price) and the cost of the rollback haul to get it home.

I've put the one on eBay on my watch list. It will be interesting to see how high it goes.

Dan --- Thanks for looking. This whole process is a new experience for me. I've spent years watching eBay and combing swap meets and other sources looking for the best parts available for my restorations. Now I'll be rooting in the bottoms of the boxes at swap meets. At least what I'm looking for is distinctive

Tom

Comment

The search is over. Many of you have actually seen this bullet. Pennsylvania is one of those states that does not require a front license plate. Jerry Kurtz has had a bullet nose mounted on the front of his modern pickup for years in place of a front plate. That bullet has been to many International Meets and swap meets and all over. It is now on its way to Louisiana. I'll post pictures of the "finished goods" when I get the bullet installed.

Thanks Jerry!

Tom

Comment

Is this the modern pickup?
                      The bullet looks to be in pretty nice condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Truck Stude Grill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1719720

Comment

Yes, Tom, that's it. Jerry says it looks like that because he had it powder-coated at one time!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X