Dick Steinkamp & La Carrera Panamericana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Steinkamp & La Carrera Panamericana

I finally got a chance to read Dick Steinkamps article in the February TW about his trip to watch and enjoy the La Carrera Panamericana race in Mexico. The Studebaker dominance of this race is a source of wonder and pride. The fact they are heavily modified not withstanding. Dick pointed out that with the exchange rate this is not as expensive a trip as one might think.
    Does anyone know if there is someone down there who offers travel packages that might at least include accommodations in the towns where the race makes overnight stops? Having a host as Dick had would make the trip more enjoyable and less stressful as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I have sold parts for one of these cars and also a 55 hardtop but not sure if it is done and ready to race.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Bob! You got your picture back!!
      Good job!

Comment

This and the 24 Hours of Lemons are my next Studebaker projects after the Packard Hawk (Catfish) race car is finished later this year. I like the challenge of both races and to bring Studebaker power to the forefront would just be my cup of tea. First is to make the Catfish go 200 miles per hour and then go up from there. Engine will do it at 750 Horsepower but will the car cut the air clean enough? We shall see this September. Would be interested in talking with someone who has run the La Carrera race.
        Dan

Comment

Do I read into this thread Dan, that you plan to be at Bonneville this September? If so do you know what dates? We are going to be in Tacoma at the end of August, beginning of September for the SDC meet. It might be doable.
          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
            This and the 24 Hours of Lemons are my next Studebaker projects after the Packard Hawk (Catfish) race car is finished later this year. I like the challenge of both races and to bring Studebaker power to the forefront would just be my cup of tea. First is to make the Catfish go 200 miles per hour and then go up from there. Engine will do it at 750 Horsepower but will the car cut the air clean enough? We shall see this September. Would be interested in talking with someone who has run the La Carrera race.
            Dan
            Dan, someone posted about a car for sale on Hemmings earlier. This would be a great way to get right into the race.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              Does anyone know if there is someone down there who offers travel packages that might at least include accommodations in the towns where the race makes overnight stops? Having a host as Dick had would make the trip more enjoyable and less stressful as well.
              Ed,
              I don't know of any "travel packages", but it wouldn't be that hard to put your own together.

Clearly having my friend Javier to "show us the ropes" was a huge help. Javier lives in Aquascalientes which is in the heart of the Carrera route. He has followed the race for many years and knows what's happening, where and when. He is acquainted with many of the drivers and navigators and members of the service teams (service is often contracted out by the racers to Mexican companies). In addition, my high school buddy Jerry who was with us was a mechanical engineer for Caterpillar and worked in their Monterey, Mexico assembly plant for several years and became quite fluent in Spanish.

On the other hand, traveling in Mexico is not that daunting. Unlike the US, many citizens of other countries are fluent in at least one other language...often English. This is also true in Mexico. Even Javier's 4th grade daughter does passably in English. Speaking Spanish in Mexico would be help, but not a necessity (just as you can get by with no German in Germany, no French in France, no Japanese in Japan, etc.). Also plenty of US and Canadian expatriates living in Mexico.

The route, nightly stops, and activities are published months in advance. It's pretty easy to pick which parts of the race you want to see, then to make air reservations, hotel reservations, and rent a car. You'll want to stay in the historic downtown of the colonial cites since that is where the nightly action is. Driving is about the same as driving in the US. Their major highways are often toll roads and are quite like our interstates. The secondary roads are like our 2 lane state highways. Traffic in the cities is like traffic in any major city. Not much fun .

If you don't travel frequently outside of the US, it's going to be an adventure no matter what. IMHO, that's a good thing! Seeing things you've never seen before, getting immersed in a different culture, finding out people are people no matter where you go and that they will be as helpful and as cheerful as you would be to a stranger in your home town.

Let me know if I can help you (or anyone else) plan a trip to the Carrera.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thank you, Dick, for your excellent reply. I was hoping you would pop up when you saw your name in the thread title.
                I lived for about 4 years in Panama when I was in the Navy so I would imagine it is not much different in Mexico. I always found the locals to be very friendly and helpful. We made many friends while we were there.
                This is a trip I would likely plan for after I retire so I can take my time and do it right. I may take you up on your offer of help when I am ready to do this. I really do want to see this race in person. It's sort of like going to Bonneville at least once. Ya just gotta do it!
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                X