Need Fuel Tank Sending Unit - 1956 up C/K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Fuel Tank Sending Unit - 1956 up C/K

Looking for a new or good used tank sending unit for my '56 Power Hawk.

TIA

There's been numerous threads on the issue of sending units. Some on originals and others on generics that need a modification to work.
    I've had good luck with the Moeller Marine Products sending unit #035725-10. The float rod needs to be bent to fit your application and the mounting flange can be positioned for correct float travel. Ohms are correct for original 12 volt gauges. I know several others that have used them and worked well. They have been used in the truck tanks too.
    Got mine on ebay or you can check at a boat shop.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I picked up a Bosch FST 7591 universal sender at a swap meet last summer. Just follow the instructions to set it up and install it. The only problrm I had was to rotate the flange so the arm was pointing the right way and then finding the offset bolt hole. Cost me $20. Works fine so far.- Jim

Comment

Thanks guys... I dug up an old NOS sending unit but the tube is a mite too long so I suspect that it is for a sedan as the tank is deeper to accommodate the loss of space due to the sedan wheel well taking up space. I may just cut the tube to assure a good fit and bend the float rod as needed. But I'm keeping the two suggestions as replacements in mind.

Comment

Might want to replace the cork float with a modern one.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
            Thanks guys... I dug up an old NOS sending unit but the tube is a mite too long so I suspect that it is for a sedan as the tank is deeper to accommodate the loss of space due to the sedan wheel well taking up space. I may just cut the tube to assure a good fit and bend the float rod as needed. But I'm keeping the two suggestions as replacements in mind.
            Those that offered replacement parts may be unaware that the ‘56 and ‘57 tank units had the fuel pickup tube assembled through the tank unit itself. It was the ‘58 and later tank units that were more universal, in that the fuel line outlet was incorporated into the tank.

Comment

Did not know that. Thanks for the input. If no other way, perhaps a hole drilled in the flange and the tube soldered in place would work. Seems like someone did it to make theirs work. CASO ingenuity at it's best. When I found the Moeller units I needed one for my 63 Daytona and there were NO senders available, so I went searching.
              Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              Those that offered replacement parts may be unaware that the ‘56 and ‘57 tank units had the fuel pickup tube assembled through the tank unit itself. It was the ‘58 and later tank units that were more universal, in that the fuel line outlet was incorporated into the tank.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Get in contact with Brent Hagen as he should be able to help with the copper crush washers you’ll need as well. You can obtain Brent’s contact details thru the 56J Register
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                  Get in contact with Brent Hagen as he should be able to help with the copper crush washers you’ll need as well. You can obtain Brent’s contact details thru the 56J Register

Thanks, I have the copper washers...

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post

Yep, they are unique but luckily I had one stashed away from years ago.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X