Looking for a automatic transmission adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a automatic transmission adapter

Are there any vendors or companies selling automatic transmission adapters yet?

It would be for my 1959 studebaker lark with 259 v8. The flight o Matic transmission has been giving me trouble since I bought the car. I've invested $1500 in having it rebuilt and aleast 6 months at 2 different shops.

"Supposedly" they have tried everything possible to fix the hard shifts and constant leaks and just can not figure it out.

Was thinking of swapping over to run a Chevy th350.

You might consider swapping to a transmission with overdrive, like a 700R4 or the 200 model.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes, there are adapters available. Look in your Turning Wheels or do a search here on the SDC Forum.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Phil Harris has them at Fairborn Studebaker.

Meyer Studebaker in Duncan Falls, OH has them....
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Have you sent the shop manual with the car? All the adjustments must be made from those directions. Did they set the throttle stop to 17/64? Did they use a pressure gauge to set throttle pressure? Studebaker is different in their set ups, tell them to USE The MANUAL. All mounts front and transmission support must be good. The access plate for the governor is best sealed with silicone sealer- no gasket. Did they replace the manual lever and T.V. seals? , the ones from a ford C-6 fit. Good Luck Lou Cote

Comment

It would be for my 1959 studebaker lark with 259 v8. The flight o Matic transmission has been giving me trouble since I bought the car. I've invested $1500 in having it rebuilt and aleast 6 months at 2 different shops. "Supposedly" they have tried everything possible to fix the hard shifts and constant leaks and just can not figure it out.
            Sorry to learn you're being jerked around by incompetents. That Borg-Warner was the industry standard for forty years; millions of Ford, IH, Jaguar, et al are out there. That two transmission shops cannot make it work and seal up is sad indeed. It's not like you're bringing them an orphan Twin Ultramatic or somesuch.

Just know that if you cannot do the work yourself, you're going to be putting way more than the $1500 into a GM swap. Suggest taking it back to the best shop one more time, with the Shop Manual and an ultimatum, "fix or refund."

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Most rebuild kits contain fiber paper clutches that are for Dexron fluid. Most shops make the mistake of using the original type f fluid that was factory fill with the brass clutches. This will cause harsh shifts.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have complete kit for the trany swap with starter, $350.00
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Might I suggest a GM 200 4R automatic. Many people recommend the GM 700 R4, but the gearing in the 200 4R is a bit better, the transmission doesn't siphon off as much HP to operate, and the overdrive is also a bit better. Depending on your model Stude, it fits a bit better under the transmission tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                    Might I suggest a GM 200 4R automatic. Many people recommend the GM 700 R4, but the gearing in the 200 4R is a bit better, the transmission doesn't siphon off as much HP to operate, and the overdrive is also a bit better. Depending on your model Stude, it fits a bit better under the transmission tunnel.
                    Agree with all the above; if one is buying a rebuilt performance transmission, go with the TH200-4R and be prepared to write a $1300-$2600 check. Then, there's the cost of the adapter, driveshaft, speedo gear, crossmember and linkages.

In the real CASO world, the 200 vs 400 argument is akin to choosing a side in the Punic Wars. They happened so long ago, it's an academic discussion. I can't remember the last performance 200-4R I saw in a wrecking yard and even the V8 700R4 is very scarce these days.

As mentioned in another thread, the only somewhat readily available U-Pik GM automatic is the 4L60E and that comes with a considerable penalty cost for the aftermarket electronics to make it work.

That's why I suggested the OP make one more try to get his B-W fixed. It ain't rocket science to any decent tranny shop.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Phil Harris sells a well made unit that is working perfectly for me.

Comment

David Hauser installed a Chevy 200R4 in my Daytona, and I love it. He also put a four barrel carburetor on it. That gives it a bunch of perk.

Comment

what do you have with the swap kit

Comment

You have found the 2 worst transmission shops in the USA. The Ford FMX is bulletproof and not real complicated. Don't go with TH 350; good trans but no OD If I were to swap I'd go with 4 spd OD

Comment

After reading all the comments I will give the flight o Matic another shot. Whether it be the one in the car or finding another one to put in or rebuild I think in the end keeping it purely studebaker will be best.

Comment

Working...
                              X