Hawk trunk hinges factory color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk trunk hinges factory color?

Hi all, I was bringing small parts down from the mezzanine today, to clean and prep for assembly. The car has been painted once, and the trunk hinges were mostly covered in white paint, but when I went to clean them up with a wire brush, the paint came off fairly easy, and they look galvanized underneath. Does anybody know whether the hinges were body color, or were they galvanized on the finished car? I have the same question regarding the trunk latch. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

They were lightly cad plated, not galvanized although it looks similar. They mostly got left that way, some were over sprayed with body color... I soak mine in laq. thinner until the paint falls off and lightly wire brush them then 'spritz' with laq. clear to preserve the cad plate. Some just paint 'em.....

Comment

Thanks, (S). I thought that I might prefer them painted, but would leave them cad plated, if that's how they came.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Is this true for 56 - 64 ?

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        They were lightly cad plated, not galvanized although it looks similar. They mostly got left that way, some were over sprayed with body color... I soak mine in laq. thinner until the paint falls off and lightly wire brush them then 'spritz' with laq. clear to preserve the cad plate. Some just paint 'em.....
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Pretty much. I can't get to the '56, but the '63 here is just kind of one coat where the upper hinge meets the decklid and the rest is spotty, overspray, the lower hinge is the same.... One coat where it was an easy target for a lazy painter.....

Comment

1956 were cad plated.
            It is an addiction!

Comment

Thanks. Think I'll clean them up and use the eastwood, imitation spray cad plating, to freshen them up.

Comment

Check your parts catalog. Metallic Part Numbers are suffixed with Finish Code. G=Electro Galvanize & P=Paint

Comment

Thanks, willys54, that's good information. That will certainly be useful as I finish up all the small parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X