62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 62 hawk

I picked up a 62 hawk to restore. No engine or tranny. I put a 2002 suburban ls engine and tranny in it but the front end is now too high. What front coils should I use to restore the correct riding height? Thanx. Hawkeye 62

It will probably take some experimentation because the stock control arms are different than Chevy arms. When I put a Mustang II front end in my daughter's car ('59 Silver Hawk) with a Chevy 350 I had to swap to heavier springs after it came out too low in front with the Mustang springs. You have to measure the "free" height of your current springs and the diameter of the wire. Then either go with a thicker wire size and/or a taller spring. It would be difficult for anyone to tell you what spring you need unless they have done the exact same swap?? My son's car ('46 Chevy Coupe) had the same problem after installing a Chevy 350 except it had a 76 Camaro front frame which changes the leverage on the spring and upper control arm. I had to remove the original Camaro springs, measure the free height, measure the wire diameter and get a heavier wire spring the same height. It came out 1/2 too low still so I installed a a 1/2 metal spacer and then it was perfect.

Treblig

Comment

Couldn't you just heat a coil near the end of the spring to lower the front end?

My friend did that to a 62 Impala station wagon I sold him, but soon regretted not keeping the car totally stock.

After all, when's the last time you saw a 62 Impala wagon with 327 and 3 on the tree?

Comment

I would put coils from a 6-cyl Lark in, should be light enough.

Comment

I have a set of Moog CC661 on the shelf and they are shorter than the Stude HD and CC655 but still provide the same spring rate. I may still install them on my Avanti to bring the ride height down but the CC655's seem to be OK for now. CC661's should be readily available for a fairly decent price.

Comment

Heating a coil is always a crap shoot. The spring seems to be the correct height when you finish, but due to the spring now having lost it's temper, it continues to sag and pretty soon it's too low. Better to remove the spring and cut one coil off. Usually that will lower the front approximately 1". Don't use a torch to cut it or the heat may still cause problems later. Use a die grinder and a cut-off wheel.
            I agree with trying 6 cylinder springs first to see if they solve the problem.
            Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Couldn't you just heat a coil near the end of the spring to lower the front end?

My friend did that to a 62 Impala station wagon I sold him, but soon regretted not keeping the car totally stock.

After all, when's the last time you saw a 62 Impala wagon with 327 and 3 on the tree?
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I would try the lark 6 springs or raise the back and tell everyone it's a four wheel drive.

Comment

Working...
              X