PDA

View Full Version : Champion piston question

52-fan
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
While I was working on my 53 Champion engine I got to thinking about some pistons I bought years ago. Someone was advertising in Turning Wheels that he had .040 oversize pistons for early Champion engines at a very good price. I bought a set and they arrived in some very well sealed packaging with 1955 stamped on the box. I always figured these were military surplus of some kind.
Anyway, to my surprise the pistons had 4 ring grooves! [:0] I have never needed a set of Champion pistons so far, but if I tried to use these would I need to used 4 rings? What do you suppose was the original application? Why the extra ring?[?][?]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

StudeRich
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
That would just be the famous Studebaker "Heat Dam" piston! I think if you look closer, you will see that the top groove is a very shallow one, that would be the heat dam.
You won't have to worry about installing any rings there, as none are that shallow.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

52-fan
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting. When were they used and what was the purpose? I will have to admit it has been several years since I looked at them. I never noticed that the top groove was shallow.

StudeRich
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
A heat dam is used to help dissipate the heat from the head of the piston, it is an air space.

All Studebaker Pistons and some old stock original reproductions that do not say "Studebaker" inside like the factory "Alcoa" marked ones are all "Heat Dam".

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Interesting. When were they used and what was the purpose?

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Mike Van Veghten
01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
And the interesting thing about that detail...every few years it comes back into use for a short period of time by one manufacturer or another.
Normally for stock and mild performance pistons.

Mike

52-fan
01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the good info. I was concerned that these pistons were for a special application like a weasel variation or something and would not work on a car engine. I only paid $24.00 for the set in the late 1970's,so I wasn't too worried. I always figured that these were military surplus bescause of the elaborate sealed packaging and the fact that there was a military surplus sale that I heard about a couple of months before that had unspecified Studebaker parts listed.