Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
      Well done to my eyes.Lines flow nicely.
      X2...making a ho-hum 4 door work for me. I like dat! cheers, junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Flattened the roof a wee bit too much during the top chopping job. I like my Studebaker roofs round!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Looks ridiculous, to each his own though.

Comment

Looks cool and it has glass which is a plus. Lots of cars get the lid lowered and then the builder gets stuck. The parking lot crowd will love it. However, as drive-able car it has been ruined.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
              Looks ridiculous, to each his own though.
              I agree. Studebaker did it right, and then someone messes it up. Oh well, I can't save them all.

Comment

I really like this car. I like the colorful roof with the flat black body. I don't know why it would ruined as a drive-able car. Of course when cars a much modified like this one it is easy to misalign things. We don't know such has happened to this car. I would enjoy driving this one.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  I really like this car. I like the colorful roof with the flat black body. I don't know why it would ruined as a drive-able car. Of course when cars a much modified like this one it is easy to misalign things. We don't know such has happened to this car. I would enjoy driving this one.
                  The reason I said it would not be drive-able is the lack of vision and the stock angle of the steering column. Most people would have to drive hunched over and they wouldn't drive far. If you lower the seat, you will have to reach up to steer. It would be okay for driving a few miles to a display, but not for a cruise of any length.
                  BTW I guess that is a Mercury rear window?
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    The reason I said it would not be drive-able is the lack of vision and the stock angle of the steering column. Most people would have to drive hunched over and they wouldn't drive far. If you lower the seat, you will have to reach up to steer. It would be okay for driving a few miles to a display, but not for a cruise of any length.
                    BTW I guess that is a Mercury rear window?
                    I see what you are saying. I didn't mean to come on so strong. I didn't look far enough to the details to see what you meant
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Studebakers of this style and year had a very high beltline. If I tried to drive with my elbow out the window my arm went up at a uncomfortable angle. In fact, a local kustom builder saw my '49 Champion sedan once, and was mad that I had someone besides him chop the top! I pointed out that it was stock, and had him sit in the seat. He agreed that you could easily do a sectioning job to get the overall height down, and still maintain the windows and roofline for a unique kustom ride. We never did do that (for some reason).....
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                        Studebakers of this style and year had a very high beltline. If I tried to drive with my elbow out the window my arm went up at a uncomfortable angle. In fact, a local kustom builder saw my '49 Champion sedan once, and was mad that I had someone besides him chop the top! I pointed out that it was stock, and had him sit in the seat. He agreed that you could easily do a sectioning job to get the overall height down, and still maintain the windows and roofline for a unique kustom ride. We never did do that (for some reason).....
                        A section job would certainly balance the body better. I think that is how we ended up with the C/K bodies. This particular car has a nicer roof line than most 47-52 chop jobs.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I really like it. Don't know why one couldn't change out the column, using a tilt and adjust the seat height to make it more drivable. Looks great to these old eyes.
                          I even like the 70's 80's vibe on the roof.
                          As with any custom, an in person inspection is necessary. There is no way to tell from pictures how well the work was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                            I really like it. Don't know why one couldn't change out the column, using a tilt and adjust the seat height to make it more drivable. Looks great to these old eyes.
                            I even like the 70's 80's vibe on the roof.
                            As with any custom, an in person inspection is necessary. There is no way to tell from pictures how well the work was done.
                            All true, but to change the column in that 51 would be a lot of work. You might as well change out the front clip or whole chassis. One thing leads to another. It could be a nice custom, but not something to drive from here to Tacoma.
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

To me, it looks like an abortion. But that's my taste.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X