X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia auction on Saturday 2-10-18

Don't know if this has been posted previously

Might be a deal to be had there.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Thanks for the repost. Skip Lackie posted it earlier this week. Looks to be an interesting sale. Going to rain really hard tomorrow here in Central Virginia and in Chester. Might be a good day for bargin hunting if they don't postpone the sale because of the weather.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I used to think the same thing about rain and auctions, but when it rains, the farmers can't be in the fields, so they go to the auctions and spend their money.
      I used to get good bargains until the early 80's, then the prices started going nuts, until I pretty much quit going.

Comment

Sale is in the Richmond area and a couple of these cars might bring some nice $$$. The Starlite Coupe might be a great buy once you get the dirt off of it. The 62 Hawk maybe a sleeper especially if it runs. The Convertible has a chance to be the biggest attraction at this sale. The Auctioneer is well known in Virginia and has a big following so this could be a very interesting sale. I have company so won't be able to attend this one.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Someone please let us know the prices received. Agreed; if that '51 convertible is at all nice, it could go through the roof...figuratively speaking, of course. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would have loved to have gone but I had to work this morning. I bought a 1946 M15A truck from Gary in 1976 when he lived in Colonial Heights and the city got after him. I paid $40 for it and got it running and rebuilt the brakes. Thought I hit gold when I sold it in 1979 for $475. I talked the late Sam Miller into driving his '61 E-13 wrecker down to pick it up.

Comment

Speaking of Sam Miller, now that is a name from the past. I purchased his 58 Packard Station Wagon.

Comment

Dad and I went to the sale. The 51 convertible was a fairly nice older restoration. None of the cars would start so can't comment on their operational status. The 51 seemed solid but my little indicator registered as much as 1/4" of filler in some places. No idea if the underlying repairs were done right or not. The interior appeared all wrong but was in descent condition. To be a true show car, it would have needed a complete disassembly, cleaning, painting and re-assembly. The trunk floor was quite soft and needed replacement. Couldn't tell about the floor boards because the carpet padding was glued to the floor. I was able to get a peak in a few spots and they looked good, but they were not in the areas that generally rust the most. The chrome all looked driver quality but would need to be re-done for the car to be what it deserves to be. In short, if it is mechanically sound, the 51 would make a nice driver and would get a lot of attention due to its rarity, but would need everything to make it a contender at the international meet. The final sell price including auction fees was $29,700.

The 51 Starlight had a lot of rust. It could be saved, but would need a lot of new metal. We didn't stay to see what it sold for.

The GT Hawk was selling as we left. The opening was $4500. It had quite a bit of rust and the trunk lid wasn't fitting right. The car looked like it could be saved but would need a complete restoration to be a show car. Again, may have been good mechanically, but could not start the car.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                  Speaking of Sam Miller, now that is a name from the past. I purchased his 58 Packard Station Wagon.
                  I remember when Sam got that car. The inspection sticker had expired and Sam mixed up some of his model epoxy and splashed on the windshield like bird poop to cover it so he could continue to drive. At the time Sam lived in a very nice neighborhood and I often wondered what his neighbors thought of the stuff he dragged home.

Comment

Just want to make sure I got this correct. The 51 convertible would not start, needed at least a trunk pan, and up to 1/4 inch of filler? And it brought $29,700?

Wow!

Comment

"Wow" was my thoughts too. Actually my thoughts were a little more colorful.

I left there thinking that either there is a big gap in my knowledge regarding the value of Studebaker's, or the guys bidding on that car needed to get some new glasses that didn't have so much "rose colored" tint in them.
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                        "Wow" was my thoughts too. Actually my thoughts were a little more colorful.

I left there thinking that either there is a big gap in my knowledge regarding the value of Studebaker's, or the guys bidding on that car needed to get some new glasses that didn't have so much "rose colored" tint in them.
                        It may have just been some "auction fever". Sometimes two people at an auction want something and lose all sight of the price in an attempt to get something or just to prevent someone else from getting it.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Anyone know what the 37 Ford went for?

Comment

$20K on the 37 Ford. GT closed at $5300. Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment