Disk Brake conversion, 52 Champion; dominos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Disk Brake conversion, 52 Champion; dominos

First I would like to thank Jim Turner for answering my numerous questions before I place my order for brakes and master cylinder kits. As has been discussed before the addition on disk brakes requires different wheels to clear the calipers/rotors and I've now ordered 5 wheels from Speedway Motors. In order to preserve the original appearance I'll paint the new wheels the original body color. My existing tires are bias G78-15s (8" wide section) which on the original wheels rubs ever so slightly on the forward A arm when the wheels are turned hard to the stops (pics below). So for the new wheels I've ordered 5 Coker American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall 670R15s. The size is a bit wider than the original Champion's tires and a bit narrower than the Commander's tires and narrower than the G78s. Back to the paint for the wheels, I took the old data number to my painters paint guy yesterday and he call someone who faxed a formula back. I picked a quart of Sahara Sand today and it is a match. All the dominos are standing waiting for UPS.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_111620.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1757301Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_102310.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1757302 PS: the first picture shows the rub as a black-wall stripe and the second pictures shows the rub source as the bright metal.

Is the frame cracked from the spring pocket back, or is it an optical delusion?

Comment

Thankfully no crack, here is another picture but the rub doesn't show as well due to the lack of contrast.

Name:	20180203_102319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1719487

Comment

Are there any worthwhile disk brake conversions that let you keep your nifty '50s Studey wheels?
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Dave, According to the USPS, you "should" see 4 boxes by Saturday, unless they sent one to (inset city here) <G> They were picked up today about noon.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

I also installed Turner Disc Brake conversions on my '51 Champion. Our solution to the spacing issue was to put in a spacer, and also to install new, longer threads so that everything would go together with original wheels. There was some head-scratching about how best to do this, but the end result worked well. And, more importantly, the Champion stops easily. It's amazing how aggressive some drivers are out there. When I asked Jim why I should consider a disc conversion -- his answer was simple: "You don't want a Honda as a hood ornament!"

Comment

Yesterday morning FEDX dropped the 5 tires on the doorstep (they weren't due until the 8th of March), the 4 Turner Brake boxes were delivered by the USPO as well; a little later UPS left the 5 wheels in front of the garage. Nothing stopping me now but good sense.
              Last edited by fatboylust; 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Trudging along, I've installed the MC mount bracket and test fitted the MC, peddle pushrod and adapted the MC mount bracket brace. Jim warns that some modification may be needed to adapt the kit and the bracket brace was one of two minor modifications I've made. I've also removed the left front brake drum, backing plate and test fit the caliper bracket. The second modification was to remove a little material from the caliper mounting bracket to clear an interference with the knuckle thrust bearing (something Jim warned me about). Here are some pictures so far.

Name:	20180215_143727 - Copy.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1719583Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_154743.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1719584Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_154230.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1719585

In the process of removing the original MC I damaged the gas line so working in parallel with the MC and disk brake conversion I've been replacing the gas line between the tank and the union joint along the frame in the left from wheel well. my bad.

I don't know where the upside down image below came from and the editing feature won't let me delete it, sorry.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by fatboylust; 02-19-2018, 08:19 PM. Reason: tried to delete upside down image, didn't work.

Comment

The first pic of post #8: looks like no room to take the cover off the master.

Comment

tim333: it is tight, there is about 3/4" between the tops of the cover and the bottom of the floor. Getting the hold-downs loose will likely be the trickiest part. The hole in the floor lines up well with reservoir. Once the system is bled and full it should be worth any short coming for the braking improvements. Once the carpet is replaced I'll be under the car to check and fill.

Comment

Here's what I did with mine. Wilwood remote reservoir solved the under car clearance issue, although getting the MC open is possible if inconvenient.

Name:	20171027_123223.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1719591Click image for larger version

Name:	20171031_125130.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1719592
                      Last edited by gjamesk; 02-20-2018, 04:42 PM.
                      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

gjamesk: very clean install, assume you also created a port between the two reservoirs.

Today I continued working on the disk brakes, who know the dust cap would be the hardest part. Left side is assembled. On the left the stone guard is lightly rubbing on the back side of the rotor. So that will be tomorrow's task.

Name:	20180220_111303.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1719604Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_112131.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1719605 The tire/rim is just for test fit, new wheels are not painted yet.

Comment

Looking good. I would like to do that to my Commander some day.
                          The 7.75 X 15 tires I used to have on my 52 Champion rubbed just like your tires were. The grease fitting got worn off on the edge and the tire had a small groove. The tire only touched on very tight turns like in a parking lot.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X