Just bought new Stude, thinking about bigger engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought new Stude, thinking about bigger engine

I just bought a 63 Skytop with 43 miles on it. I’m thinking of pulling out the R2 and replacing it with a Rolls Royce Merlin 27 liter V12 aircraft engine. Good move?

It will sound great.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Good move. It might stick out the sunroof slightly but I say go for it.

Comment

Got any more good jokes?

You would need a WHOLE LOT more Car to fit and handle THAT much Engine and Power, if of course you were serious.

A VERY Rare '63 Daytona Hardtop with a Skytop and a Jet Thrust Supercharged R2? I don't think so.

Say, is it April 1, already?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
          I just bought a 63 Skytop with 43 miles on it. I’m thinking of pulling out the R2 and replacing it with a Rolls Royce Merlin 27 liter V12 aircraft engine. Good move?
          Comedy is a tough business best left to professionals...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Better idea use a Packard built Merlin then you would be brand correct

Comment

Hey, if you're looking to decrease the historic and monetary value of this rare automobile then I say: "What the?"

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                Sounds like its gonna be a dog. Now then... If you really wanna go, keep the Merlin in a front wheel drive configuration and add a 6 pack of JATOs in the rear for some real OOOOMPH. Now we're talking acceleration.
                Besides, that old R2 will serve all of mankind better serving as a deep sea habitat for starfish and urchins.
                I can't wait to see some pictures. THis is gonna be AWESOME.
                sals54

Comment

There's a guy in Bricktown , Not far from you selling aircraft engines on craigslist , Maybe you could start there , I like Packard marine better, We put one in the bed of the wife's Champ last week , We call it the Jolly green giant killer , We had plans to test at Englishtown last week but they closed the track , Ed

Comment

Obviously an airplane engine would be better served in one of the bullet nose 'cause you already have place to mount the propeller!
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

I actually know the guy with the gun (i.e. the owner) in this video.

Insane car. Merlin V12 out of a P51.

Do that to your Avanti? No problem. Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Comment

it's already been done.

Comment

Yep, it's been done but in a different chassis. Leno has a 31 Rolls Royce that somebody else had mounted a Merlin in it. It took Leno's crew to get the thing to function right. Carburation was changed to six enormous Webber carbs and horsepower is only about 1,000! In the Spitfire, with a blower it could crank out 1,600. See it here;
                          Jay gives an update on some of the restorations going on in the garage.» Subscribe: http://bit.ly/JLGSubscribe» Visit the Official Site: http://bit.ly/JLGOff...

Comment

I too, have been thinking out of the box lately. Have always thought a mid 1980s-early 1990s Volvo 240 drive train would be an excellent swap into a Stude. I am thinking about dropping one into the 56J. The little four cylinder is light as a feather, has modern EPA stuff, and they run forever. The 240 is rear wheel drive, and the entire drive train would be an easy install.

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed a little off the wall humor. Of course, all a joke. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X