PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Master cylinder housings

Mark Plucenik
01-30-2018, 08:10 AM
I am ready to rebuild the M/C on my 64 GT w/ front disc brakes. My question is are all of the cast M/C housings the same? Reason for my question is I have 4 housings on my bench right now. I am going to glass bead and hone, check for ware and choose the best of the 4. I know for a fact that 2 of these housings came off of disc brake cars and all 4 appear to be the same. Is there any difference ? and is it just the rebuild kit that is different?
As always , thanks for the help. Mark

Mark Plucenik
01-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Some additional info, all 4 master cylinder housings appear to have the same main casting # which is FE 2693

thunderations
01-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Check with the vendors to see if there are different rebuilt kits/rebuilt or new cylinders for disc brake versus non-disc. That may answer your question. Usually one or the other of the brake systems needed a relief valve in the master, I think is was the drums and if converting to disc fronts the valve needed to be disabled.

StudeRich
01-30-2018, 03:41 PM
You can use a Non-Disc Repair Kit and remove BOTH the Rubber cushion at the Outlet End of the Cylinder and the One-way residual Valve on the End of the Spring. OR, Buy a Disc. Repair Kit. :)

The DIFFERENCE is easy to determine, you look up the Detail Parts of the Disc Brake Master Cylinder in the '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, and note the different Parts used on the Non-Disc Master Cylinder, and what-da ya know! The Cushion and the Valve are the ONLY Parts missing from the D/B Cylinder! :rolleyes: They ARE all the same otherwise.

Of course I am talking about the Original Single System, under the floor Master Cylinder, I would never complicate the POWER Disc Brake System balance with a Dual M/C.

Mark Plucenik
01-31-2018, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info, I do have the correct disc brake kit from S/I. I will just hone and measure then chose the best of the bunch. Mark

Hawklover
02-03-2018, 06:26 PM
I ash canned the single master on my Avanti and put in a dual master...works fine, zero problems.......the dual master has the same size bore as the single master....Jon Myer did his homework:-)
You can use a Non-Disc Repair Kit and remove BOTH the Rubber cushion at the Outlet End of the Cylinder and the One-way residual Valve on the End of the Spring. OR, Buy a Disc. Repair Kit. :)

The DIFFERENCE is easy to determine, you look up the Detail Parts of the Disc Brake Master Cylinder in the '59-'64 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, and note the different Parts used on the Non-Disc Master Cylinder, and what-da ya know! The Cushion and the Valve are the ONLY Parts missing from the D/B Cylinder! :rolleyes: They ARE all the same otherwise.

Of course I am talking about the Original Single System, under the floor Master Cylinder, I would never complicate the POWER Disc Brake System balance with a Dual M/C.