PDA

View Full Version : A different Atmosphere

Warren Webb
01-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Last week I was at the new house in Seligman. Being we are still in the moving process I don't have internet at the new house yet so I go to the library in town. My wife noticed on the bulletin board a post asking for volunteers to work on the road near our house so I went to take a picture of it with my phone so I could volunteer. A woman that was working the book sale said to me "when you call that number my phone rings." We started talking & she asked where I lived. When I told her she responded "Oh, your the one with all the Studebakers! Do you know Shawn?" Nope. "Let me give you his number. He has a bunch too." A new friend enters my life.

So different from where I'm moving from. Such a friendly sense of community. Drive down (or up) the 2 plus miles of dirt road leading to the house & people wave as do the ones on the 2 miles of paved road before getting on Route 66. Yeah, I get my kicks a couple of times a day usually. Local discounts are another new thing to me, either at the "Pizza Joint" or at the general store when you get gas, although the gas is the highest price in the state (so I'm told) but still cheaper than everywhere in California except for 2 places I know of.

A week or so ago I called Cornerstone & Hemmings with my address change so it's getting real close to this move being done. Getting used to the change in attitudes & the slower pace of life has been done for a while now & I enjoy every moment. Gonna really be getting my kicks driving one of my Studebakers into town.

8E45E
01-30-2018, 07:32 AM
It sounds like you have made the right decision thus far.

I hope it all works out well for you and the Mrs. in the long run.

Craig

sweetolbob
01-30-2018, 07:43 AM
Welcome to a much larger cross section of the USA than you would expect considering where you came from. Good move.

Bob

BobPalma
01-30-2018, 08:49 AM
:!: What Bob said in Post #3, Warren. :cool: BP

DEEPNHOCK
01-30-2018, 09:06 AM
It is interesting to find out that the small town social etiquette and attitude is still there, and still desired.

thunderations
01-30-2018, 09:12 AM
And, welcome to Arizona, Warren.
Mt wife and I participate in the Route 66 Fun run each year. Have done it since 1991 and have meet a bunch of great folks that truly like to drive their old cars. We look forward to meeting you and sharing some of our experiences. Pretty sure you have met Angel by now or had a small coke at the Snowcap.

Chicken Hawk
01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Good to hear Warren. Good luck!

Ted

Avantidon
01-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Living in rural America is like living in the best places in this country. Whether it is in AZ,OK, or Virginia they are all the same----the most friendliest and helpful people around. Warren you will enjoy life as it should be out of the fast lane an, slow paced and peaceful. Congratulations on the move to rural American and enjoy life as it should be enjoyed by all.