Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowledgeable people regarding 1948 Studebakers

OK Guys (&Gals),
    The wife wants more information on this advertised beauty.
    Give me some feed back if you will.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers, Bill

The full designation of that car would be a 1948 Studebaker Champion Regal DeLuxe Series 7G Starlight Coupe (denoted by the “wood” section of the doorcards.) 8,982 copies were produced at an intial base MSRP of $1,142.00. It rode upon a 112 inch wheelbase and made use of Studebaker’s state of the art (for the time) 169.6 cu inline six. Although the thing only developed all of 80 horsepower, the curb weight of 2,690 pounds gives it fairly sprightly performance.

Say, are you considering purchasing this fine buggy? I remember showing it off in the forum not too long ago and I recall being rather impressed by both the price and condition.

Best of luck!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

The First thing that got my attention is it's NOT a Commander Starlight, not that anyone said it was, but it's a Lowly Champion with the "Plannar" single cross Leaf Suspension System.

This one appears to be in Better than excellent condition, for "Collector Car" limited use, it probably would be fine.
      I am also not a big believer in those small Lockheed Style self adjusting Brakes either, but I hear there are improvements available.

The MSRP the seller found of $1,630.00 sounds more like it, not that it matters Today.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-27-2018, 06:04 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To set the record straight, it is not a Starlight. It is a five passenger coupe. Studebaker did not apply the Starlight name to the five passenger coupes until the 1949 model year.

Of course, many people now refer to all years of five passenger coupes (with the wrap around rear window) as Starlights. This is for convenience, but not technically correct.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I happen to have a '48 Three Passenger Coupe (AKA Business Coupe). I spent six years restoring it. I enjoy it. They are great little cars. Of course, they are 70 years old, with 70 year old technology. At any given time, they can give the same troubles that they could have given 70 years ago. Vapor lock, flooded carburetor, burnt points, oil leak, brake cylinder, clutch, etc., etc. They still require the same frequent maintenance, tinkering, and adjusting like they did 70 years ago. I love mine.

The one in the link you provided looks great in the pictures. Even if it is perfect, it will still require loving care. As long as you keep these facts in mind, and accept the challenge, this could be a great experience for you. From the pictures, the price seems very reasonable. If you buy it, buy the manuals. Learn where all the grease fittings are, and either do it yourself, or make sure you see to it that some one does it right...all of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48 & 55 #3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1719374
          Attached Files
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bill,

The last time you saw that car it was in several hundred pieces during a cold January day in 2016. I have owned a couple of 48's but they were Commanders. Never did much as far as engine work but car ran well even in overdrive on the interstate but under the legal limit of 75. I did not want to over work the engine.

That said, the champion will work fine and not be stressed at 65-70 but I would not want to push above that. Take a trip to Tucson on a Wednesday and Thursday and I will buy lunch at Even Stevens that is operating in a former Studebaker dealership that was selling cars 1920 to 1926.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

That looks like Jerry Kaiser’s shop in the pictures. If that’s Jerry’s car and he did the work on it, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. He’s a long time SDC member and turns out some very nice restorations.

Comment

I'm digging it. Especially the color. But since my starter Stude was a '47 Champion, I have a special warm spot for those Double-Enders.
                1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I have a 49 black Business Coupe Champion that was a great daily driver until some jerk ran a stop sign and T boned it.

Comment

That is one beautiful car! Black paint of that quality shows that any body work which was done is excellent. Here are a few observations based on the 1947 Champion sedan we have owned for nearly 45 years. And yes, some of this is picky.

The body number tag shows this is a C5 = Regal DeLuxe, the top trim level. Therefore, there should be a chrome strip on each rocker panel.

The spare tire is a 6.40-16 polyester. The shape of the wheel does not look correct for the car. The tires on the road look like 15-inch (which is correct) and radials (which you definitely want). The correct plate and bolt to hold the spare wheel in place is available from Studebaker vendors. There should be a hubcap painted black on the spare.

The direction signal switch assembly unit does not look correct for the car. It is very nice to see that it has the correct front direction signal lights.

AC-1398, front fender ornaments and jewels, are missing. Although this has an accessory part number, I believe this was a "compulsory" accessory, as was the hood ornament.

The body of the oil filter should be painted Fram orange, with a black top and bracket.

The wheels should be painted a contrasting colour to the body colour, and be pinstriped.

The door upholstery panel is totally different from what is shown in the Body Parts Catalogue. It does not seem to fit correctly at the top.

Nothing underneath our car is painted a red colour.

The parts remaining to be installed, such as the left fender air vent, and vent window rubbers and glass, don't appear to be huge jobs. I have to wonder why they weren't done.
                    Last edited by Greenstude; 01-28-2018, 07:22 AM.
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                      The door upholstery panel is totally different from what is shown in the Body Parts Catalogue. It does not seem to fit correctly at the top.
                      That's because it is missing the inside window frames on both doors. They would keep the panel in place at the tops.

If I were seriously interesting in this car, I would take an inventory any items missing on it, and ensure they were included with the purchase.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        That's because it is missing the inside window frames on both doors. They would keep the panel in place at the tops.

If I were seriously interesting in this car, I would take an inventory any items missing on it, and ensure they were included with the purchase.

Craig
                        On my first look, I was so impressed with what I saw, (what was there) I failed to see some of the things others have brought to our attention. Still, nothing noticed that would be a "deal killer." Instead, as highlighted in red above..."Price negotiating points."
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If the 15" wheels are the same as 1950 Champion, I would be happy to donate a correct wheel for the trunk. It even has a bias ply tire on it that holds air. All it would cost is a trip from Tucson to Phoenix.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            That looks like Jerry Kaiser’s shop in the pictures. If that’s Jerry’s car and he did the work on it, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. He’s a long time SDC member and turns out some very nice restorations.
                            Good eye Matt,

Jerry bought the car at the first Chuck Naugle sale. It was missing the front clip and a bunch of parts stuffed in the inside of the car. All the glass was out so you can imagine how much work was done.

Now if I were to buy the car (still looking for money tree that has hundred dollar bills to harvest) I would drive it and not worry about all the nits being picked. I never will own a car that I will show for judging unless it is a casual show with peoples choice award the only award being given. That car would give many years of fun and pleasure to drive.

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

13 ---|The wheels on a '48 Champion would be the same as a '50 Champion. I think the wheel and tire in the trunk of the '48 may possibly belong the an early-1940s Stude.
                              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
                              X