Radio Delete Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Radio Delete Plate

I'm looking for a radio delete plate to fit a '56 Hawk, or at least the part number for one.

From '53-'58 Body Parts Catalog page 297: COVER, radio control opening-K All 56, 57 part #1314476.

Comment

I prefer to call those what they ARE, a NO Radio Ordered, Hole Cover. As in a CASO buyer!

That is Because, only 1955 President Speedster HT's had Radios as Standard Equipment.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In today's collector car culture, people often use term "radio delete" incorrectly. When a customer ordered a new car that normally came with a radio as standard equipment, and the customer did not want a radio, the dealer specified "radio delete" on the order. The factory then installed a "radio delete" plate to cover the hole. However, a radio was optional equipment in many lower priced cars. So, nothing to delete on the order. When the optional radio was specified on the order, the factory installed a radio instead of the hole cover.

Rich G

Comment

Hey Tony. If you haven't found one yet (whatever you want to call it), I think I have one. PM me if you still need it and I'll take a look.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Yeah, the GM guys can't get this terminology correct either. On most GM cars up into the early 70's the radio was on option. You did not have to "delete" the radio to NOT get one. They still refer to it a a "radio delete" plate.

Even worse, starting in 69 (along with the locking steering column) all the manual shift cars had an interlock device that required putting the car in reverse before you could turn the key off. When installing headers, that linkage was usually trashed. Now, restorers are going nuts trying to find the original bell crank and associated linkage. They almost always refer to it as the "reverse lock out linkage" even though it does not lock out reverse! To make matters worse, Hurst invented and marketed a true "reverse lock out" so that one would not accidently start off in reverse at the drag strip causing a collision with the car behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I prefer to call those what they ARE, a NO Radio Ordered, Hole Cover. As in a CASO buyer!

That is Because, only 1955 President Speedster HT's had Radios as Standard Equipment.
              My 50 Commander convertible and 63 GT Hawk, both top of the line cars, came without radios. The 50 even came without a heater. Talk about CASO's!
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I'm STILL looking for a radio delete plate to fit a '56 Hawk, part number 1314476. Found everything BUT! SI is out of them...This is what the plate needs to cover...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1725909
                Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Most people solve the "hole in the Dash" you have, by buying a Used Studebaker/Delco Radio to fill it.

Easier than a Hole Cover to find!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've got an NOS faceplate, a spare dial plate, and knobs. I'll make up a faux radio face, and install that.

Comment

Working...
                    X