Cheap Seat Cover for Split Bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Seat Cover for Split Bench?

Anyone know of a any cheap ($20-50) seat covers that would fit well on the front set of my 1959 Lark Wagon? I don't want to get into a full re-upholstery right now...I bought one at auto zone ($40) and it's split ...but in the wrong place...if anyone knows anything that'll work please let me know. -Rich

Here's one: https://www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/seat_covers.php

And another: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/slip-on2.htm
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good luck finding anything from LeBaron Bonney for $20-$50. My covers cost way more than that.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yeah...saw those sites. The LeBarron Bonney ones are $500 and the Automotive interiors are $150 but they don't have studebaker. I put my vehicle in as a 57 Chevy Bel Air....which I guessed to be kinda close. Anyway, it's a split back bench seat in the front. I'd do that if I knew it fit well. Starlight Studebaker will make one for about $350...I think that's probably the best option for re-upholstery. I'm interested in a seat cover...a band aid...for a while. I think I'm just going to make my own out of a mexican blanket or something...the way they are now just won't do...Thanks

Comment

I went to the fabric surplus store and bought several yards of upholstery fabric to make my own seat covers.
          If I remember correctly, the local auto upholstery gal told me it should take about 7 yards to do my Studebaker 2 door sedan.
          I think I paid about 5 to 7 dollars a yard.

Comment

Originally posted by corvairguy View Post
            Yeah...saw those sites. The LeBarron Bonney ones are $500 and the Automotive interiors are $150 but they don't have studebaker. I put my vehicle in as a 57 Chevy Bel Air....which I guessed to be kinda close. Anyway, it's a split back bench seat in the front. I'd do that if I knew it fit well. Starlight Studebaker will make one for about $350...I think that's probably the best option for re-upholstery. I'm interested in a seat cover...a band aid...for a while. I think I'm just going to make my own out of a mexican blanket or something...the way they are now just won't do...Thanks

Automotive Interiors (the link that Rich posted) does have cheap seat covers for Studes. Send them an email or give them a call.
            Last edited by mbstude; 01-26-2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by corvairguy View Post
              Anyone know of a any cheap ($20-50) seat covers that would fit well on the front set of my 1959 Lark Wagon? I don't want to get into a full re-upholstery right now...I bought one at auto zone ($40) and it's split ...but in the wrong place...if anyone knows anything that'll work please let me know. -Rich
              In the spirit of a true "CASO,"...Beach towels and a few well placed large safety pins!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Back in the day a old blanket was used by the guys who lacked money. Go to thrift store find a blanket you like and be like the old time thrifty owners. Old Army blankets were common when I was younger for seat covers and wore well.

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                  Old Army blankets were common when I was younger for seat covers and wore well.
                  When we were cleaning up my father-in-law's shed contents about six years ago (after a tornado destroyed the shed) he had several army (I guess actually Air Force since that was the branch of service he was in) blankets still in the plastic bags. He retired from the Air Force in the early '70s so they we're at least that old. They were in military foot lockers from when the family was relocated from station in Germany back to the US.

I grabbed them, thinking the same thing - great seat material for the hot rod Model A (Ford) coupe that is on my bucket list.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    When we were cleaning up my father-in-law's shed contents about six years ago (after a tornado destroyed the shed) he had several army (I guess actually Air Force since that was the branch of service he was in) blankets still in the plastic bags. He retired from the Air Force in the early '70s so they we're at least that old. They were in military foot lockers from when the family was relocated from station in Germany back to the US.

I grabbed them, thinking the same thing - great seat material for the hot rod Model A (Ford) coupe that is on my bucket list.
                    That reminded me...in the fall of 1970, I was a 25 year old Vietnam veteran, sophomore in college, living off campus in the rec-room of a nearby cattle farm operated by a widow and her daughter. At that time, just about all my worldly possessions could be stashed in the trunk of my 1963 Falcon Sprint. My wool Air Force blankets were a big part of my possessions. I don't recall how many I had, but two of them were rotated on my single bed. Other's stayed in the trunk of the car. That fall, my future wife & I were planning our (1971 New Years Day) wedding. Knowing I would not be able to keep sleeping next to the huge sliding glass doors of the rec room, with the beautiful mountain view, I had to find another place. What I found was a $40 per month duplex. I moved in with zero furniture, no appliances, my military duffel bag for luggage, and several of those blankets. For several weeks, I used a couple of those blankets while sleeping on the floor. The extra blankets, I didn't use for bedding, became improvised curtains.

After a couple of weeks, I got credit approved & bought a Couch and a couple of chairs. After the wedding, her parents donated us the bedroom furniture from her bedroom at their house. I don't recall exactly what, where, or when the real curtains went up, but I'm sure it was before the wedding, and from HER influence. Humble beginnings, and the old wool blankets played an important role. Wonder where they are now (attic)

(Sorry 'bout the off-topic...but sometimes, comments cause the mind to wander)
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Besides the padding in the bottom of the seat being bad, the biggest problem I had with my 52 was the driver's seat back. The original type covers Leonard had installed were falling apart and the cotton was showing through and would catch on my clothes.
                      My wife came up with some upholstery material she had bought for a kids project some years ago. I took a few measurements and sewed up something like a pillow case that I pulled tightly down over the seat. It works great. If the color had matched the car, I might have done the seat bottom too. The whole thing kinda works for the "rat" appearance of the car right now.
                      I have LeBaron Bonney covers, but I still need to get the padding material to install them......and the car really should have a headliner, paint, glass....etc., etc.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 52-fan; 01-26-2018, 07:59 AM.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Since I bought a restored 50 Champion 4 years ago, I bought a nice gold colored bed spread to protect the mint upholstery.
                        For my Model A bucket seats, a pillow case would fit the backrest fine.
                        I never could find original style material for my unrestored Studebaker seats with the striped pattern, so I was glad that the restored 50 had the correct material.

Comment

I bought the OxGord seat covers through WalMart. I bought (3) total so I could cut up two of them to make the one cover for the front split bench I have in my 59 (I actually have a split bench from a 62 that is a 50/50 top and bottom) You could still do the same thing for a bottom bench split back. Then I paid a local seamstress to sew the halves together.

Unfortunately, the sun has absolutely eaten the seat cover on the back seat. The seat part as well as the top of the back seat are breaking down due to the UV light.

I have not checked into it yet, but if I do this again, I want to install a UV protective film on the INSIDE of my windows to help protect the interior from the harmful rays.

I used a buch of shoe strings to tie them into place. The clips that come with them are all but useless.

All in all, I had front and rear for about $150. The hardest part was finding someone who could sew that didn't want to charge me $300. here's a hint: Go to an arts and crafts show and find someone with a really nice sewing machine and that does quilting....They will have the right equipment.

I checked into an upholstery shop to recover and rebuild my front and rear seats and I was quoted $1850 for both, with $1000 of that for the front seat only. And this material did not even come close to factory original material. Not even the same color of green.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

"Unfortunately, the sun has absolutely eaten the seat cover on the back seat. The seat part as well as the top of the back seat are breaking down due to the UV light."

To protect the shoulder of the rear seat back from sun damage, you can also get a piece of the same/similar material and sandwich it between the edge of the seat back and the package shelf.
                            Leave enough to drape over and about half way down the rear cushion.
                            For protection let it drape over.
                            For show, simply roll it up and leave it perched on the shelf right at the edge of the cushion.
                            This worked well on my 1964 Cruiser's beige vinyl upholstery.

Comment

I just checked with automotive interiors on a set for a 62 hawk in black and they where $685 for a set.

Comment

Working...
                              X