PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Heat: Part number heater blower motor 63/64 Hawk

HawkBuilder
01-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Hey, the heater blower motor for the 62 and earlier Hawk is readily available at the Napa parts store at a good price. Does anyone know if there is a Napa part# for the 63/64 Hawk heater motor? The 63/64 Hawk motor is different... thanks

StudeRich
01-25-2018, 12:19 AM
One good question might be: "just HOW much difference IS there between a '62 GT Hawk Inner fender mounted Fan Motor and a '63/'64"?

I am thinking a "Sealed" Motor for in the Fender, and an Open one for under the Dash, may only be a cost saving change for Studebaker.

thunderations
01-25-2018, 12:04 PM
The blower motor I found for my, now sold, 63 Daytona was for a Bluebird bus. The only real difference was the shaft came out both ends for 2 squirrel cage fans. Pretty simple fix.

HawkBuilder
01-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Well, for one thing the motor for the 63/64 Hawk heater blower spins in the opposite direction from the 62 inner fender mounted, and the blades in the squirrel cage are opposite- just looking for a part # if anyone has it...

thunderations
01-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Might check some of the generic motors as they have wiring to make them run either direction.

Well, for one thing the motor for the 63/64 Hawk heater blower spins in the opposite direction from the 62 inner fender mounted, and the blades in the squirrel cage are opposite- just looking for a part # if anyone has it...

jackb
01-26-2018, 02:12 PM
NAPA online motor listings is where I got mine for 53' truck. Lots of choices, 2 grades.... I went cheapo (CASO) X 3 years w/o trouble...

Steve Winzar
01-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Might check some of the generic motors as they have wiring to make them run either direction.

Being a 12 DC motor, just changing the polarity should make it run either way?

TWChamp
01-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Being a 12 DC motor, just changing the polarity should make it run either way?

That works if the motor has a permanent magnet, but if it has field windings, then both the armature and field polarity get changed together, so the rotation doesn't change.

Ron Strasser
01-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Even though the following is not answering Haekbuilders question; I don't have a part number for a replacement. But allow me correct some miss information.
Most automotive blower motors only have one wire that is connected to power. What would be the other wire is internally connected to the motor case.
To change the direction of any normal DC motor the polarity between the armature and the field needs to be reversed. Change them both and the motor will rotate in the same direction
To change the direction of one wire DC motor you must open the motor and change the connection to the armature or if wound the field. If you find a blower motor with 2 or 4 leads; then yes you can change its rotation.
Ron

Studebakercenteroforegon
01-27-2018, 04:45 PM
This discussion reminds me of a customer that wanted to buy a climatizer blower motor for his ‘62 Lark. I stock the correct two speed motors. He didn’t like my price and ended up getting a single speed universal replacement motor from a parts store. Later he told me that Studebakers sure don’t have very good heaters.
Sometime later I ended up buying his car. When I checked, the blower motor was turning backwards! I switched the leads and sure enough the heater system worked very well as it does on any Lark.

Studebakercenteroforegon
01-27-2018, 04:51 PM
It should be noted, after all of the above discussion, that Studebaker International lists a 1558701 blower motor for ‘63 - ‘64 Hawks. It is in the current catalog, page 198, listed for $85.00.
Sure, a universal motor could be a few dollars cheaper, but the correct one would be my choice without the need to re-invent everything.

HawkBuilder
01-28-2018, 09:30 PM
It should be noted, after all of the above discussion, that Studebaker International lists a 1558701 blower motor for ‘63 - ‘64 Hawks. It is in the current catalog, page 198, listed for $85.00.
Sure, a universal motor could be a few dollars cheaper, but the correct one would be my choice without the need to re-invent everything.

My SI catalog must be out of date, since I didn't find a listing for the motor. Since they have it I will order from them. $85 isn't a bad price. -
Guess I'll get an up-to-date catalog while I'm at it