A Studebaker Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker Story

So there’s this place called Ragtops not 3 blocks away from my house. The unique thing is that it’s a classic car dealership which I would wager is fairly rare around the alligator-infested lands of Florida. I occasionally stop by to check out the new inventory and have made a casual relationship with the owner, Mr. Houck. This place is usually chock full of Big 3 stuff and imports but when I went there tonight I spied a Studebaker. This was the first Stude I had seen there and it wasn’t even a Hawk or an Avanti but a 1953 2R truck. I was flabbergasted that it was there in such fine shape but also pleased. It gives me hope...

Click image for larger version

Name:	0361437E-48DC-4B82-A097-CB7793357712.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1756419Click image for larger version

Name:	3CB5342E-4FD6-4896-97FE-2F7AA7BAC27D.jpg
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1756420 Click image for larger version

Name:	38B48EA0-A6A5-4349-BA10-57C56ACBDF94.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1756421
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 01-24-2018, 07:00 PM.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a nice and almost correct restoration (except for that unusual, but nice, tailgate treatment).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ty (Houck) was actually an Avanti dealer in the '80's-he still has his '88 convertible from those days.Ragtops has been around since 1980,and is a pretty awesome place,and Ty is really a great guy.I'm about 3 blocks from there,myself,so Ragtops is a frequent stop.Click image for larger version

Name:	ty avanti.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1718097

Comment

sounds like a good meeting place to me.....

Comment

There's a little Antique shop I went into yesterday in Dunedin Fla. and I asked the Lady owner if she had any Studebaker items , She said look around ,But Her Daddy worked for a Studebaker dealer during the 30's and was paid 10.00 a week plus commission, I found 4 items 2 tootsie toy Larks, a tootsie M series and a 1928 fire truck

Comment

There is a classic car dealership just down the hill from my house and they have Studebakers in there every now and again. In fact, about a year ago they had a white '63 Avanti which ended up being purchased by Alice Cooper. The last Studebaker I saw in there was a '63 GT Hawk.
            There may be more Studebakers still around than we realize. People just need to get them out of their garage.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I'll have to get my brother to drop in and have a look, he's only up the road in Lake Worth! If he was minded, he might drop down to Boca to pickup my Mother and make a family mouch out of it, lol!
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Jake,

I appreciate your posts, and your enthusiasm. Keep the faith going.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Avanti Fanatic View Post
                  Ty (Houck) was actually an Avanti dealer in the '80's-he still has his '88 convertible from those days.Ragtops has been around since 1980,and is a pretty awesome place,and Ty is really a great guy.I'm about 3 blocks from there,myself,so Ragtops is a frequent stop.[ATTACH=CONFIG]69964[/ATTACH]
                  Yeah, I know he’s a great guy but I didn’t know that tidbit about the Avanti II business. I might ask him about it next time. On another note, do you really live close to Ragtops as well? I’d like to say hi sometime!
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Yes-I am in the El Cid neighborhood,and drive my '63 Avanti frequently,so if you see a white Avanti parked,please stop by and say hello.Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Fred.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1719361

Comment

Working...
                    X