PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker on Rachel Maddow

Commander Eddie
01-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Last night my wife and I were watching Rachel Madow when suddenly we see an old TV commercial from 1961 for the Studebaker Lark. Rachel was using it as a segeway into her next story. The visual was a car full of clowns touting how roomy the interior of the car was. We got some great air time out of it.

63 R2 Hawk
01-24-2018, 04:54 PM
I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK.

;)

70Avanti2
01-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Maybe she just loves clowns

Stude Shoo-wop!
01-24-2018, 05:47 PM
I wonder if that campaign hurt Lark sales more than helped them. I think including those clowns in there insinuated to some consumers that the Lark was a clown car. What conformist businessman (for the early 60’s Joe Average) would want to be seen in a clown car? This is a pity because the Lark was a perfectly good car for the period.

wittsend
01-24-2018, 05:59 PM
I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow Liberal. I'm assuming not the type to support cars in general much less old emissions belching Studebakers.

Addendum added 1-26-18:
Some people have taken objection (posts below) to my post. The quoted party stated "I don't know who Rachel Madow is..."

First I simply posted a Wiki link regarding Rachel Maddow for the purpose of letting the quoted party know who she was. The very first sentence and the six word in is "liberal" that describes her (see below). Apparently to the writers of the Wiki that is an important aspect of who she is. I stated my comment because it has been my life's experience that a larger than lesser number of people from a liberal perspective are inclined towards public transportation, electric vehicles etc. over older hydrocarbon, NOX etc. emitting means of getting around. Based on that I was speculative that Maddow was actually a supporter of Studebaker's such as the quoted party seemed to think. Thus my intention was only to point the quoted party to look deeper before forming a conclusion. If some thought I was painting every person of a liberal perspective the same, my apology. That was not my intent.

Lastly I have been involved in TV Production for over 35 years. I did not see the mentioned show but it was described as a "segue." So, I do not know if there is a tie in between the car specifically being a Studebaker, clowns in general - or not. There is typically a greater chance that the story editor, or the video editor selected the Studebaker commercial footage at random and that Maddow had little to nothing to do with the use of it. I would be curious to know how the Studebaker specifically was relevant to the segment that followed it - if at all.

Rachel Anne Maddow (/ˈmædoʊ/ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English) (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Loudspeaker.svg/11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maddow_(spoken_pronunciation).ogg) listen (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/En-uk-Maddow.oga)), MAD-oh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Pronunciation_respelling_key);[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow#cite_note-1)[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow#cite_note-2) born April 1, 1973) is an American television host, liberal political commentator,[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow#cite_note-sturm-3) and author.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow#cite_note-npr081023-4)[5] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow#cite_note-sfg090811-5)

Ron Dame
01-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Studebaker did the ad... no blame elsewhere. I am liberal, but love cars, coal fired locomotives, and much else that may not fit the stereotype of 'liberal'. be careful with your terms!

BRUCESTUDE
01-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Studebaker did the ad... no blame elsewhere. I am liberal, but love cars, coal fired locomotives, and much else that may not fit the stereotype of 'liberal'. be careful with your terms!
"Like.......!"

Hallabutt
01-25-2018, 03:44 AM
I watched the show, but missed the ad. Is there any way to see it now, or do we just have to wait for it to be rerun?

Mrs K Corbin
01-25-2018, 06:35 AM
One thing that i've learned is that the Carbon Footprint of the Electric cars is definately not neutral. The battery technology is just not there, and as long as we use coal-fired plants to charge the batteries AND replace the batteries at 5-7 year intervals, Plus the MFG Carbon of the car. Might as well drive my Studebaker and keep the $30+k in my pocket.

DEEPNHOCK
01-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Just put the commercial on here... That's all that is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZycdudaUBs

Commander Eddie
01-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Me too. My politics have nothing to do with my love of old cars, planes, trains, bicycles, and many other things from my youth.

LovelandJoe
01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks for posting the commercial Jeff.

Hawklover
01-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Known by many as the anti-Christ:-(

Maybe she just loves clowns

Commander Eddie
01-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Take it easy folks. Rachel is well educated, smart as a whip and does her homework. And I now like to think she has a soft spot for Studebakers.

studegary
01-25-2018, 10:04 AM
I noticed that they smartly used a Cruiser when they talked about rear leg room and wide (rear) doors. They are both four inches larger with the 1961 Cruiser (over the other 1961 Lark sedan models).

6hk71400
01-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Speaking of clowns, most everyone knows McDonalds. What people don't know is December 31, the corporation terminated the employment of all Ronald McDonald's. Our Ronald in town spoke English, Spanish and Sign Language and was a magician as well. He wrote corporate policy for the magic performed at shows as well as other money saving items for the company. After 30 years, severance was set at 12 weeks for people that worked there as few as two years, for a maximum of 24 weeks for employees. Our dear friend worked for 30 years and will receive that but only after another 4 weeks. He has to sell his home as well. He has not expressed an interest in my 1962 Lark at this time.

If you go into a McDonalds now, you will probably not have anyone at the counter. It is now set up with a kiosk that you place your order and pay there. Think about all this when your grandchildren want to go to McDonalds to eat and play in the playground area.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Commander Eddie
01-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Sheesh, Bob. That sounds awful. It won't be long before none of us talk face to face anymore. Not even to order a hamburger. Now I'm depressed.

6hk71400
01-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Sorry Ed,

I did not mean to do that. Our Ronald gave his all to his job, just as many other people have and now he is out. On of my grandsons loves McDonalds, but I did find a restaurant that has a trolley running on the top part of the place that he likes. They also serve a grilled turkey sandwich they call the Studebaker and make their ice cream on the premises.

If any of you get to Tucson, look me up. There is another sandwich place downtown that is housed in a former Studebaker dealership that sold cars from 1920 to 1926. Inside, the shop researched the place and decorated it will several nice murals on the walls of Studebaker history. On top of great food, they figured in the cost of the sandwich and then donate that to 4 local charities that help with meals for children and seniors. It is called Even Stevens and has been a success in our revitalized downtown.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

GrumpyOne
01-25-2018, 12:00 PM
One thing that i've learned is that the Carbon Footprint of the Electric cars is definately not neutral. The battery technology is just not there, and as long as we use coal-fired plants to charge the batteries AND replace the batteries at 5-7 year intervals, Plus the MFG Carbon of the car. Might as well drive my Studebaker and keep the $30+k in my pocket.

Yes Indeed!!!

Hallabutt
01-25-2018, 12:52 PM
I second the thanks, Jeff. As an aside, when I tore my left ACL in 2003, the only car that I had that I could get in and out, and drive comfortably, was my 1963 Lark htp. Exactly what the ad spoke to, "no lip."

vetteson
01-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Was that Red Skelton in the hobo suit?

Commander Eddie
01-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Was that Red Skelton in the hobo suit?
Probably not. You know, all clowns look alike. :D

Studejohnn
01-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Uninformed and misleading. We get 250 miles a charge, and our power is a mix of hydro, wind, solar, natural gas. No coal-fired plants around here. Batteries are getting better. 5-7 years of not paying $2.50a$3.00 a gallon adds up, and no emissions. In 1910, internal engine technology was just not there. Good thing they didn't listen to the naysayers back then.

Hawklover
01-25-2018, 09:34 PM
At 70 years old I can say I have done most everything I have wanted to do.......the world as I new it is almost gone, the young that follow will have no clue as to how wonderfully great this country it's people and things were..........soon old cars will be only static displays in museums.......as government ends their use, and the fuel to come will not allow their operation. No politics here just some sadness........time for all the "old geezers" still with us to tend to their respective "bucket lists".........time waits for no man.

Mark L
01-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Ya'll sound like a bunch of Studebaker-huggers.

63 R2 Hawk
01-26-2018, 12:03 AM
I feel like I shouldn't have let myself get so old now......

Mrs K Corbin
01-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Uninformed and misleading. We get 250 miles a charge, and our power is a mix of hydro, wind, solar, natural gas. No coal-fired plants around here. Batteries are getting better. 5-7 years of not paying $2.50a$3.00 a gallon adds up, and no emissions. In 1910, internal engine technology was just not there. Good thing they didn't listen to the naysayers back then.

And how much did that new "insert brand here" cost you? Let me know what the new battery costs when you buy it, please. We have coal plants just north of us in KY, Nuke in Arkansas. We do actually have a solar farm in West TN. I'll buy a $1500 "recycled" car, drive it for 5 years and toss it. VW beetles are an example and get 31mpg, but that's not my primary long distance traveller. I spend about $25 a week for $100 a month on gas to drive 500 miles a week. What's your Light bill?

Commander Eddie
01-26-2018, 08:49 AM
I think we got off topic.

SScopelli
01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK. ;)

Rachel Madow is the creepy clown in the back.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70009&d=1516983783

What a horrible commercial for Studebaker to associate its car with "Clowns," let alone the slow head turn of a Clown with the most bizarre look on her face! :eek:

If I did not have Coulrophobia, I do now.

blackhawk61
01-26-2018, 10:56 AM
I like Ronald McDonald !

Mrs K Corbin
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
would have been funnier going thru a Wendy's drive thru :lol:

6hk71400
01-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Rachel Madow is the creepy clown in the back.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70009&d=1516983783

What a horrible commercial for Studebaker to associate its car with "Clowns," let alone the slow head turn of a Clown with the most bizarre look on her face! :eek:

If I did not have Coulrophobia, I do now.

I dunno, I think she looks more like Lucille Ball incognito. Could be she picked up a gig between shows. BTW, I do remember seeing a Tahoe Green 1952 Studebaker in one of her episodes of the Lucy Show. I think it had Joan Crawford in it.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

rockne10
01-27-2018, 07:46 AM
One thing that i've learned is that the Carbon Footprint of the Electric cars is definately not neutral.Actually we have turned that corner. It is generally better than neutral at this point, but varies greatly throughout the country. Their largest footprint at this point probably lies in their actual manufacture.
Keeping an old Studebaker running in top condition definitely harms the environment less than manufacturing a brand new vehicle, electric or not.

dean pearson
01-28-2018, 03:20 PM
I don't know who Rachel Madow is, but if she loves Studebakers she must be OK.

;)

I know who she is and even a Studebaker couldn't get me to watch her show.

Dean.

rockne10
01-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Fear of Rhodes Scholars PhD's, Dean? :( Don't tell me you prefer college dropouts! :ohmy:

dean pearson
01-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Nope, just not much on TV these days worth watching as far as news goes for a variety of reasons.

Dean.

aarrggh
01-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Well then , you missed her pop a gasket on the big night . . .

Bish
01-28-2018, 07:16 PM
Politics + Studebakers = oil + vinegar. They don't mix.

Dan White
01-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Let's see, college drop outs, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Zuckerberg........

JoeHall
01-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Fear of Rhodes Scholars PhD's, Dean? :( Don't tell me you prefer college dropouts! :ohmy:

Not necessarily impressed. The degree does not make the person, the person makes the degree. As much as anything, the Rhodes just means she had a few connections, and came from a college that had not had a Rhodes scholar recently. No matter what her educational credentials are, they do not make her anything. She is not a demigod, nor any smarter, nor any better than anyone else, including grade school drop outs.

studefan
01-28-2018, 07:43 PM
I work with many PhDs. Not all, but a good number of them are the most anomalous and bizarre people you'll ever come across.

billslark
01-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Not necessarily impressed. The degree does not make the person, the person makes the degree. As much as anything, the Rhodes just means she had a few connections, and came from a college that had not had a Rhodes scholar recently. No matter what her educational credentials are, they do not make her anything. She is not a demigod, nor any smarter, nor any better than anyone else, including grade school drop outs.

Well said Joe, Thank you.

Bill

Commander Eddie
01-28-2018, 08:45 PM
May I remind all of you that this was about Studebaker, not politics.

Scott
01-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Hahahahaha!
maybe she just loves clowns

bezhawk
01-28-2018, 09:10 PM
To ignorant people, smart people are touted as elitist. (that means better than you) ....
P.S. if you are going to politicize every thing that is posted, then you should perhaps go to a different forum.

Jessie J.
01-29-2018, 11:18 AM
Even here 'the great divide' rears its ugly head. Nothing quite like bringing in politics or religion to divide friends.
That said, as was earlier noted, this type of advertising embarrassment did Studebaker's public image no favors. Viewing this, its little wonder that the youth of the '60s would rather walk than to have their High School friends see them pile out out a Stupidbaker.

GTHawk
01-29-2018, 02:10 PM
And how much did that new "insert brand here" cost you? Let me know what the new battery costs when you buy it, please. We have coal plants just north of us in KY, Nuke in Arkansas. We do actually have a solar farm in West TN. I'll buy a $1500 "recycled" car, drive it for 5 years and toss it. VW beetles are an example and get 31mpg, but that's not my primary long distance traveller. I spend about $25 a week for $100 a month on gas to drive 500 miles a week. What's your Light bill?

Just paid $3000.00 for a new Honda Civic battery. I'm now convinced gas os cheaper in the long run.

Lou Van Anne
01-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Yes, yes, yes!....no politics(unless you agree with me?)

May I remind all of you that this was about Studebaker, not politics.

Lou Van Anne
01-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Being a Studebaker driver in High School....I remember all the jokes about 'em.....they weren't funny....at least not then....UOTE=Jessie J.;1094117]Even here 'the great divide' rears its ugly head. Nothing quite like bringing in politics or religion to divide friends.
That said, as was earlier noted, this type of advertising embarrassment did Studebaker's public image no favors. Viewing this, its little wonder that the youth of the '60s would rather walk than to have their High School friends see them pile out out a Stupidbaker.[/QUOTE]

Jessie J.
01-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Yeah, those jibes and daily put-downs were a bummer. But I was certainly right about one thing; I knew without shadow of doubt what -I- liked. And here it is 56 years latter and I still own 4 Studebaker's.
I've owned plenty of other makes, but Studebaker is still my #1 favorite.

62champ
01-29-2018, 09:26 PM
And if you really want to rub salt into the wound...Studebaker paid big bucks to a professional ad company for these commercials...

Mrs K Corbin
01-30-2018, 07:00 AM
Just paid $3000.00 for a new Honda Civic battery. I'm now convinced gas os cheaper in the long run.

Gathering Intel. How old is the car?

Lynn
01-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Re: politics, I have no problem with the libs expressing their opinion. i have not problem with the uber conservatives expressing theirs. My only problem is either one of them masquerading as news people. Plenty of blame to go on both sides, so I watch neither. It is one of the reasons we cut the cable. Both sides spewing hate. I watch some over the air news, but it is really hard to find any news outlet without a bias. It is just human nature. Most of my news comes from PBS, and the local channels.

Re: electtric cars and hybrid cars. Probably best to start a new thread. There is hard and fast data that can be discussed. Unfortunately, you probably cannot find "carbon footprint" data that isn't biased one way or another. Most have an agenda, and will work the numbers to promote the agenda. What you can do is determine from a real dollars and cents position, if the hybrid or electric has an advantage over a COMPARABLE SIZED effencient modern car of the same year.

Re: Education; (and yes, I am "educated" to the point of a doctorate... makes me no smarter than a most of the farmers I know) a college professer once told me that he started out with a BS, "and we all know what BS is", then moved on to an MS, which he described as "more of the same", and finally to a PHD, "piled higher and deeper". I concur.
"

Back to our regularly scheduled program. Studebakers and this ad. I don't know that the clown ad hurt at all. We had all seen (either live or on TV) 12 to 18 clowns stepping out of a tiny car. I think the clowns were simply meant to associate the Lark with being able to get a lot of folks in the car. The clown factor may have come across as some to negative, but my first impression was simply that the car was roomy.

DougHolverson
01-30-2018, 11:44 AM
These folks arrived at their convention in just a single trip driving only two early Larks and a double-ender Champion.
Not shown: the frumpy cute nerd girl that rode along.
(OK, I have a minor thing for gamines....)