PDA

View Full Version : UGLY !!!!

rkapteyn
01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/1937studebakerextremeliner.html

Studebaker Wheel
01-24-2018, 12:40 PM
I would concur. The original looked much better.

Commander Eddie
01-24-2018, 12:43 PM
I have to admit it is an interesting interpretation of the original. I too like the original better, but as an artistic exercise this is pretty nice. It helps to have a pretty darn nice original to start with and this artist/builder picked well.

63 R2 Hawk
01-24-2018, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen driving it, but I don't see much resemblence to an 810/812 Cord mentioned in the story, other than the horizontal hood trims. And it sounds like it would be fun to drive!

8E45E
01-24-2018, 01:07 PM
It might work well in a Disney movie.

Craig

thunderations
01-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Another example of: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

creegster
01-24-2018, 01:47 PM
The 1990s will be cool again one day.

PackardV8
01-24-2018, 01:47 PM
UGLY !!!!

Don't hold back, Bob; tell us how you really feel about the Extremeliner.

However, it does fall into those I'd take as a gift.

jack vines

Noxnabaker
01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Ugly enough in some ways but I reckon that some rubber on the rims would kinda make more of a car of it... The interior is something they would have to poison me for to get in to thou!
As for the "Cord" trim, check out 1942 Chrysler as well.

gordr
01-24-2018, 02:40 PM
I would call it a gross caricature of what a '37 Dictator woodie should look like. I don't think any actual Studebakers were destroyed in making it, though.

T.J. lavallee
01-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Adding ear buds to Leonardo Da Vince's Mona Lisa doesn't make it any more acceptable to modernizing than this God awful eye sore!

rockne10
01-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Posie's Extremeliner has been around for well over twenty years and it is what it is; pretending to be nothing else.
He started with a sedan he purchased near where I live; I had actually looked at it in the garage where it had been stored for years when it was "not for sale."
For a number of years the Extremeliner also appeared on the box of Dynamat® insulation.

Bamajak
01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Beautiful car............I love it.

Stude Shoo-wop!
01-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Holy Mary, Mother of God! Excuse me while I reach for the absinthe. While I do appreciate the mountain of work the customizer put into this car and I am usually more appreciative of the unusual, this just looks like a caricature of one of The Great Gatsby’s pleasure crafts! It has that unfathomable roofine, a bulbous front end, and a paint color that is reminiscent of the morning after a great night out. I’M DONE.

TWChamp
01-24-2018, 06:03 PM
I would call it a gross caricature of what a '37 Dictator woodie should look like. I don't think any actual Studebakers were destroyed in making it, though.

That pretty well describes it, although unfortunately a 37 was destroyed to make it.

Bamajak
01-24-2018, 06:13 PM
I hope I don't ever get to the point where I call someone's Studebaker ugly.......

studegary
01-24-2018, 07:49 PM
I would be glad to own it and with the addition of air suspension to raise it, it could actually be driven.

JRoberts
01-24-2018, 09:20 PM
I hope I don't ever get to the point where I call someone's Studebaker ugly.......

Amen to that!

Buzzard
01-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Well time for my take as I've been going to car shows all my life.
Ugly, No. Different, Yes. These high end builders such as Coddington, Foose etc. are always trying to outdo the last winner. It appears that Posie did accomplish that, hence the awards. Does it stand the test of time? I think that again, it is in eye of the beholder. As Jack stated[However, it does fall into those I'd take as a gift.]. I always classify builds such as this as "Dare to be Different".
Look back at 2016 SEMA Show Good Guys winners and see what stood the test of time:

www.good-guys.com/hotnews/tag/studebaker/

Just my humble take of not ugly, simply different.
Bill

swvalcon
01-25-2018, 12:04 PM
If it had more of a stock body line to the front door and didn't have those god awful rear fenders it wouldn't be that bad.

TWChamp
01-25-2018, 02:51 PM

But, this thing is too far removed from anything Studebaker built, that I wouldn't call it a Studebaker.

corvairguy
01-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Not my particular style but hey...variety is the spice of life!

Bordeaux Daytona
01-26-2018, 07:47 AM
I bought a 1:24 scale diecast replica kit of the car years ago. I didn't realize it was a Studebaker until much much later.

JRoberts
01-26-2018, 04:34 PM

Yes it is.

TWChamp
01-26-2018, 06:01 PM

I'm not so sure of that............I think the best way to beautify America is to have only 1953 Studebakers on the road.

Stude Shoo-wop!
01-26-2018, 10:56 PM
I'm not so sure of that............I think the best way to beautify America is to have only 1953 Studebakers on the road.

Come on, that would just be boring. The world would be a lot less interesting without tiny compact and Big 3 badges thrown into the mix!

sals54
01-26-2018, 11:43 PM
Beautiful car............I love it.

Finally... someone with some real refined taste. I love it as well.
Besides, are we not often screaming for more brand exposure???? Well... here it is. Brand exposure. Getting the Studebaker name out there. And being done by Posie's. one of the premier car builders in the WORLD ! ! ! How on earth is that a bad thing?
But, this is why the SDC is going to die an ignominious death. Too many 'die hard' Stude folks just can't accept anything but stock, factory built cars.
This car belongs in a museum. Well, after someone smokes the rubber off the rear tires, of course. Then it can go into a museum.

Buzzard
01-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Hey Sal, After seeing your Wagon roof conversion in person, I think you should post some more pics! There are lots of very talented folks here to replicate the job.
Bill

Stude Shoo-wop!
01-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Finally... someone with some real refined taste. I love it as well.
Besides, are we not often screaming for more brand exposure???? Well... here it is. Brand exposure. Getting the Studebaker name out there. And being done by Posie's. one of the premier car builders in the WORLD ! ! ! How on earth is that a bad thing?
But, this is why the SDC is going to die an ignominious death. Too many 'die hard' Stude folks just can't accept anything but stock, factory built cars.
This car belongs in a museum. Well, after someone smokes the rubber off the rear tires, of course. Then it can go into a museum.

When you put it that way, I am warming up a little to this radical kustom job. There are
a few elements I like very much on it after all

Guido
01-27-2018, 12:43 PM
The wooden outline of the body resembles a teardrop camper. I never understood the appeal of rubber band tires.

sals54
01-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Hey Sal, After seeing your Wagon roof conversion in person, I think you should post some more pics! There are lots of very talented folks here to replicate the job.
Bill

Thanks, The wagon has been somewhat dormant. Too stinkin busy at work. I should have retired 10 years ago, but now I'm having fun working with two of my sons in the business and getting ready to have my grandson join the group this Summer. We're having fun.
I should have the wagon on the road in a month or so. It does run and drive, but there are a few details it needs to make it work reliably on out of town drives. Glass is getting re-done next month also. New cut glass, all matching.
I'll post pix then.