PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Oil pressure tube

bhapner
01-24-2018, 12:50 PM
I have been to NAPA, O'Reilly, and a couple local automotive machine shops and have struck out. My hard tube from the flex line to the oil pressure gauge has a crack in it. ('63 GT Hawk 289) ANYBODY have a source? Or a substitute? Or one for sale?

A few folks have suggested I use the compression ferrules like they use in plumbing, but I don't want to jury rig unless there is no other way. Any help or suggestions would REALLY be appreciated.

bhap

StudeRich
01-24-2018, 01:03 PM
All of the newer aftermarket Oil pressure Gauges are sold with Teflon Plastic Line and brass Ferrules and compression nuts that seem to work fine, maybe you could disguise it with Thermofit sleeving or rubber hose because it is translucent white plastic and looks really wrong.

The install kits may be available separately at Summit, Speedway or Jegs Website.

gordr
01-24-2018, 01:04 PM
The current product sold for this purpose is a flexible plastic capillary tube with compression fittings. You should be able to purchase a "mechanical oil pressure gauge installation kit" from almost any auto supply shop.

I expect many of our vendors have NOS ones for sale, and most of us who have parted cars out probably have used ones hanging on a nail somewhere. I know I do. Thing is, copper work hardens, and repeated bending and unbending makes it brittle and subject to cracking.

rkapteyn
01-24-2018, 01:10 PM
I have been to NAPA, O'Reilly, and a couple local automotive machine shops and have struck out. My hard tube from the flex line to the oil pressure gauge has a crack in it. ('63 GT Hawk 289) ANYBODY have a source? Or a substitute? Or one for sale?

A few folks have suggested I use the compression ferrules like they use in plumbing, but I don't want to jury rig unless there is no other way. Any help or suggestions would REALLY be appreciated.

bhap
Most vendors stock their parts by Part number.

jrlemke
01-24-2018, 01:32 PM
My Hawk had a plastic line. I'll never use one again! Blew off while driving and spread two quarts of oil under the hood and on the road. Was on the car when I bought it in '09 and went out in '16. Lucky I had a pipe plug and wrenches to plug the hole in the motor so I could get home. I got a copper line kit from Auto-Zone and flared the lines like they should be. REPEAT- don't use the plastic lines except in an emergency, and replace as soon as possible!- Jim

rusty nut garage
01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
You can get the installation kit for mechanical oil pressure gauges with 1/8 copper tubing. You can single flare this with the correct tool, however I wouldn't be afraid of using the ferrules supplied if you don't have a flare tool. Most flare tools will only go down to 3/16.

bhap

bhapner
01-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Most vendors stock their parts by Part number.

I checked with SI, and most of the online Studevendors. Nobody had the line.

bhapner
01-24-2018, 03:43 PM
You can get the installation kit for mechanical oil pressure gauges with 1/8 copper tubing. You can single flare this with the correct tool, however I wouldn't be afraid of using the ferrules supplied if you don't have a flare tool. Most flare tools will only go down to 3/16.

That's what I ran into. Nobody could do a flare that small. What about the funky fitting that goes into the gauge? If I use the ferrules will that work? I can get the 1/8 in. copper tubing. maybe I can find 1/8 in ferrules.

gordr
01-24-2018, 03:45 PM
I am due to go to Arizona again next week. I could find a line in my stuff here, and mail it to you from there. I will roll it into a coil so it will fit in a padded mailer. You can have it for the cost of postage. Let me know by the 28th, if you want it. I am sure somebody more local to you has one, though.

Dwain G.
01-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Go to......http://www.turnerbrake.com/pricelist.html ......and scroll down.

bhapner
01-24-2018, 05:05 PM
I am due to go to Arizona again next week. I could find a line in my stuff here, and mail it to you from there. I will roll it into a coil so it will fit in a padded mailer. You can have it for the cost of postage. Let me know by the 28th, if you want it. I am sure somebody more local to you has one, though.

I want it. Sent you a private message with address.
thanks

bhapner
01-24-2018, 05:09 PM

I want it. I sent you a private message w/my address. Let me know the cost, I'll send you a check.
thanks,
bhapner

52 Ragtop
01-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Dwain,
The oil line listed is a braided stainless steel flex line to replace the rubber line between the engine and the copper tube. I do not have the copper tube. Maybe I need to look into finding some! <G>

Jim

altair
01-24-2018, 09:12 PM
I can't speak for all Studebakers but I parted out a '63 Lark and the tube is steel. This is a picture with a magnet attached.699606996169962

gordr
01-24-2018, 11:56 PM
I checked one on the shelf in my shop, and yes, it is steel. Looks like the one in your picture.

bensherb
01-25-2018, 01:35 AM
My '62 also has a steel line. It kinked when I broke an engine mount and broke a few days later. I couldn't find anything that size either so I cleaned the ends up square and slid a 4" long piece of 3/16"brake line over it and brazed them together. It's still working fine after three years.

DEEPNHOCK
01-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Go to......http://www.turnerbrake.com/pricelist.html ......and scroll down.

You will not find a better line than Turner Brake's braided stainless steel flex line anywhere........

(copy)

530096-SS
Braided Stailess Oil Flex Line*
*Shipping is a flat $1.90 for 1 line
(please add .50 each additional line)
$19.95

TURNER BRAKE
7293 Oakbay Drive Dept I
Noblesville, Indiana, 46062
phone (317) 877-0453
after 7:00 PM EST
fax: (317) 877-5181
http://www.turnerbrake.com/master.gif http://www.turnerbrake.com/visa.gif http://www.turnerbrake.com/discover.gif

altair
01-25-2018, 01:59 PM
The issue appears to be the steel line from the rubber flex line to the gauge not the flex line.

kxet
01-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Coppernickel brake tubing from Summit or Jegs. Good stuff and easy to work with.

gordr
01-25-2018, 03:27 PM
The line in question is much slimmer than brake tubing. The bore is about 1/32", at a guess.

jclary
01-25-2018, 05:17 PM
I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but there's something kind of sad about how this thread has unfolded.:( First, unless I missed something, the original poster requested assistance about purchasing a new oil line. We all have cars that are half century or older. Some of the posts have been helpful, but others apparently did not read closely and went off on the "flex" tube which is not the problem. Whatever happened to assisting and encouraging each other to be a little mechanically motivated? Especially, to solve such a relatively simple problem and an inexpensive repair. It has a lot to do with knowing where to look for resources.

In addition to auto parts stores, there are plumbing supply stores, industrial supply (W.W. Granger), heating & air conditioning, Commercial Truck, etc. Many of these have "walk-in counter sales," and sell tubing, fittings, and tools. There are even adapter fittings that allow you to splice a flare fitting line to a ferrule fitting. Most of the used oil gauge lines I have seen on "driver" quality vehicles, have been abused, bent, and banged up. It is a cheap, somewhat fragile, item that could almost be considered a "perishable" part on any vintage car. Easy to fabricate & replace. Ferrule, or flare...properly done, is acceptable, and once the fittings are tightened up, I doubt if many of us could tell which was which without taking the fitting loose. Little things like this are hardly even noticed until they break or get accidentally smashed.

Here's one I have done as a temporary gauge on an engine I have on a test stand. I made the coil as a vibration shock because IF & when I ever get this thing fired up, I expect some rough running until I get it dialed in. I used 1/8th inch copper tubing and ferrules. I have flare tools but the ferrules saved me from making the flare.

For the original poster, (bhap) I hope Gordr's line works perfect for you. Once you have that line, you might want to tinker with making your own. It will be "funner" knowing you have one that will work in case you can't get it right. A small project like this will be very helpful when, (some day) you find yourself needing to fabricate a fuel or brake line.:)

Hawklover
01-25-2018, 10:44 PM
I replaced all the rubber brake lines and the oil pressure hose with Jim's plastic covered ss line......love it and the uber quality....never have to worry in my lifetime about that again......also replaced all the exhaust with Simmons ss pipes.
You will not find a better line than Turner Brake's braided stainless steel flex line anywhere........

(copy)

530096-SS
Braided Stailess Oil Flex Line*
*Shipping is a flat $1.90 for 1 line
(please add .50 each additional line)
$19.95

TURNER BRAKE
7293 Oakbay Drive Dept I
Noblesville, Indiana, 46062
phone (317) 877-0453
after 7:00 PM EST
fax: (317) 877-5181
http://www.turnerbrake.com/master.gif http://www.turnerbrake.com/visa.gif http://www.turnerbrake.com/discover.gif

StudeRich
01-25-2018, 11:56 PM
This must be a New 2018 Term: Uber Quality? :confused:

altair
01-27-2018, 04:22 PM
I am curious about your temperature sender, on my 259 it is on the #1 side (driver's side)? Was that factory installed there or did you choose to that location?

jclary
01-27-2018, 04:41 PM
I am curious about your temperature sender, on my 259 it is on the #1 side (driver's side)? Was that factory installed there or did you choose to that location?

Truck setup.

altair
01-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks John I didn't know that. It doesn't really matter it could go on either side.

bhapner
01-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Thanks all for your input. I'll git 'er done.
bhap