PDA

View Full Version : North Central Zone Meet ?

ST2DE5
01-23-2018, 09:48 AM
How come the North Central Zone meet and the International Meet is at the same time? It's hard to be in two places at the same time.

Studeguru
01-23-2018, 10:11 AM
I was hoping to go to both, now it's one or the other. Not Good.

5brown1
01-23-2018, 10:13 AM
The Dakotas Chapter has been holding an annual Labor Day Studebaker Event for many years. It only makes sense for them to host the NCZ meet at the same time as their annual event.

old fart
01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Maybe those hosting a national meet should check around before setting the date ?? Also many years ago it was decided that in order to attract the younger generation the meets were supposed to be held in the summer time when school is out .What happened to that idea ?? Just going to let club slide out of sight . Thought it was a very good idea at the time and still do . I know there are going to be comments like " BUT IT'S TOO HOT THEN " But suck it up and support South Dakota efforts in their annual meet .I've been there and they know what they are doing . I wish my pension was bigger then I would go again .

Old Fart

8E45E
01-23-2018, 01:03 PM
I took up the issue with them a little over a month ago when we were in the process of compiling our chapter's 2018 cruise calendar.

I pasted their reply here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?96831-2017-and-2018-Zone-meet

Craig

thunderations
01-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Zone meets on odd number years and a big International meet on even number years. Works for a lot of other clubs. Was proposed to SDC, but voted down because it ain't what we have always done in the past. Well, the future isn't too bright when events can't be manned or conflict with another event.

Gary1953
01-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Maybe those hosting a national meet should check around before setting the date ?? Also many years ago it was decided that in order to attract the younger generation the meets were supposed to be held in the summer time when school is out .What happened to that idea ?? Just going to let club slide out of sight . Thought it was a very good idea at the time and still do . I know there are going to be comments like " BUT IT'S TOO HOT THEN " But suck it up and support South Dakota efforts in their annual meet .I've been there and they know what they are doing . I wish my pension was bigger then I would go again .

Old Fart

You know that this year will be the second year of three in a row that the International Meet will be scheduled at the same time schools will be session. It is pretty obvious that the leadership of SDC does not care about the issue and are not trying to solve the scheduling problem with the school year.

thunderations
01-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Remember that when you vote next time. Some only do what they want, not what is good for most............just saying...

You know that this year will be the second year of three in a row that the International Meet will be scheduled at the same time schools will be session. It is pretty obvious that the leadership of SDC does not care about the issue and are not trying to solve the scheduling problem with the school year.

old fart
01-23-2018, 08:32 PM
GARY1953 ;
Hear hear , couldn't agree with you more .It is time our leadership took this issue by the horns before we are just a fond memory .

studegary
01-23-2018, 09:03 PM

This year's convention is Aug. 29 - Sept.1. Schools are not in session here at that time. I guess that some people do not understand that schools have different schedules in different parts of the country. For example, schools here are open to near the end of June whereas schools in some areas are off early in May. This would only leave July to hold a convention, which many people do not like. This has been discussed and debated at length by SDC Board members in the past. It is now difficult to get anyone to run an SDC convention at any time.

studeguy54
01-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Thunderations, thank you for your comments on the International Meet/Zone Meet date conflicts in your post (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...2018-Zone-meet). Fortunately, the date of this year's International Meet has been known for over a year, and, most definitely a lot longer than that if you attend the International Meets on a regular basis.

The International Meet is the big get-together for the club each year, and definitely not easy to put together. Would it be easier if we only had to do this "on odd years" You bet, and you hit upon the real issue in your second line "many of the old timers hate this idea, yet they don't want to step up to man the events either. Let 10% do 90% of the work". That is, indeed the problem, and, we'd be happy if 10% of you pitched-in to put these together. Sadly, that is not the case.

Maybe odd-year International Meets will become the standard. Right now, that is not most members expectations.

Send me your comments at:

studeguy54@verizon.net (studeguy54@verizon.net)

studeguy54
01-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Old Fart

I wish I could agree with your reasoning, but in planning the International Meets and working with host chapters, the "younger generation" simply isn't interested in our cars, as indicated by the small numbers of young people who attend the meet. Do we know this to be the case? You bet! Work at the Registration area at the International Meet as my wife and I have for the last 7 International Meets, and you will note the lack of interest by the "younger generation". We would like to find a solution to this problem and other clubs are facing the same problem. If you have an idea that will work, we're listening. Contact me with your ideas at:

Denny Foust
SDC International Meet Committee Chair

studeguy54@verizon.net

Lou Van Anne
01-23-2018, 09:58 PM
How many in this club have school aged children?......few if any, I would guess.

thunderations
01-23-2018, 10:34 PM
But, how many work in a related field, teacher, bus driver, lunch room, or grandparent that watches the kids after school? It's not just where the pebble hits the water. There are also many companies that have only certain summer months that vacations are allowed. Why, when it can be helped, schedule a meet during a problem time or 2 meets at the same time? That just shows lack of organization to me.

How many in this club have school aged children?......few if any, I would guess.

8E45E
01-24-2018, 06:31 AM
This year's convention is Aug. 29 - Sept.1. Schools are not in session here at that time. I guess that some people do not understand that schools have different schedules in different parts of the country. For example, schools here are open to near the end of June whereas schools in some areas are off early in May.

Thank you.

School will recommence on Tuesday, September 4th for the majority of jurisdictions, giving plenty of space for those with school age children to be back home in time. The same timetable also applies for those who are enrolled in college or university.

Craig

JRoberts
01-24-2018, 07:02 AM
This battle seems to be a continuous one. My son has two Studebakers that he is working on. He also has a school aged child. He gets left out of most International Meets because for some reason the SDC cannot, or will not, admit that this may well be why younger folks are not all that interested in Studebakers. I am a retired school teacher who never made it to an International Meet prior to retirement.

One more thing. I thought it was in the SDC bylaws or some such place that Zone Meets and such were not to be at the same time as International Meets. This was preached to us when I first became an SDC member. Our chapter doesn't even hold local chapter events at the same time as the International or Zone meets no matter where they are being held. That said I wish that IM dates were made public much earlier. It is much easier to plan ahead for both chapters and individuals the further ahead these dates are made public. I would suggest that even exact locations, including lodging, further ahead than they currently are.

old fart
01-24-2018, 03:18 PM
The point of doing it when school is out is to allow the parents of school age kids to take them to an international meet and get them interested . As we all know not one of us has found the magic anti-aging potion . Like it or not we are dying off one by one leaving no one to take over the interest in our marque and allowing it to do what some members are doing DYING . Surely to GOD we have hashed this over long enough and it is time to think of the future of the club and not just ourselves . Two of my sons have Studebakers and will some day get them out of my shop so I have my space back but at least they have the interest . How many members are there left in our club as of January 1/18 ???

Old Fart

StudeNewby
01-24-2018, 07:13 PM
I wish I could agree with your reasoning, but in planning the International Meets and working with host chapters, the "younger generation" simply isn't interested in our cars, as indicated by the small numbers of young people who attend the meet. Do we know this to be the case? You bet! Work at the Registration area at the International Meet as my wife and I have for the last 7 International Meets, and you will note the lack of interest by the "younger generation". We would like to find a solution to this problem and other clubs are facing the same problem. If you have an idea that will work, we're listening. Contact me with your ideas at:

Denny Foust
SDC International Meet Committee Chair

studeguy54@verizon.net

Denny is right. Younger generations simply aren't in to old cars the way us, umm, more mature guys are. The idea of catering to them is a fool's errand, I'm sorry to say. Those who are interested in old cars, and Studebakers in particular, have or will find us. That is not to say we should abandon efforts at recruitment, but let's just be honest about it.

And if we could, it would be a breath of fresh air if we stopped complaining about the IM's...for just a minute.

Just my two cents. Your opinions may vary.

old fart
01-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Mike :
What I get from your comments is let's just fade away in the sunset as are ourselves with age . Just give up with trying to keep the logo going .

JRoberts
01-24-2018, 09:14 PM
I simply do not believe as a group younger folks don't like old cars, especially Studebakers. It is my firm belief that many, but certainly not all, here really do not care if younger folks are involved in Studebakers or not and thus there is no effort to recruit young folks into our flock and keep them there.

Many years ago Ed Reynolds (when he was SDC president), Bill Glass and I got together and decided to push for increasing younger folks to participate and be more active in the Studebaker world. Ed came up with the money, Bill printed the T-shirts and I was the contact. The idea was to give anybody 21 years old or younger who brought a Studebaker to a Studebaker event would get a free 21 and under t-shirt. I contacted state and zone level folks with the idea. All they had to do is to hand out a card to the young people with the a Studebaker at an event and they would send it to Bill and in turn receive a shirt. Also we were willing to send a t-shirt to event organizers to display. Very few (I cannot remember the number, but it was less than 25) t-shirts were ever given out. We got almost no response to our offer from chapter, state, zone or other SDC representatives. I found a young man at the IM in Lancaster who brought his Lark (a beautiful car) who qualified for a shirt. I gave him the card and directed him to Bill's table and where his t-shirt was printed out and given to the young man (as I remember he was 21 years old). His mother told me later that he wore the shirt for the next two days. He also thanked me for the shirt. He had a great big smile on his face. I hope he continued his interest in Studebakers. His car was one he built himself so I assume he did continue on.

If even folks in SDC leadership ignore younger folks, to the point of ignoring the need to encourage younger folks to be a part of the Studebaker world, and in turn be active in the SDC, then why are we surprised they are not a significant part of our group.

All of this includes making major Studebaker events at a time where younger folks and the parents of younger folks can be a part of the events. Even if it only means they come to look and what we are about.

8E45E
01-24-2018, 10:37 PM
The subject of this thread has changed from resolving the issue of two overlapping SDC events to interfering with grade school schedules and recruiting younger members. We have already seen many threads on International meets being held during school hours and attempting to recruit those who were not alive when Studebaker existed as a motor vehicle manufacturer. Go back and review those particular threads.

We would like to keep this thread on its original intent of resolving the conflict of the North Central Zone meet and the International meet dates.

Craig

thunderations
01-25-2018, 09:05 AM
And that should have been done at the highest level as soon as the 2 dates conflicted. Someone dropped the ball, which seems to have happened on numerous occasions recently. Rules and guidelines are meant to be followed, not ignored.

The subject of this thread has changed from resolving the issue of two overlapping SDC events to interfering with grade school schedules and recruiting younger members. We have already seen many threads on International meets being held during school hours and attempting to recruit those who were not alive when Studebaker existed as a motor vehicle manufacturer. Go back and review those particular threads.

We would like to keep this thread on its original intent of resolving the conflict of the North Central Zone meet and the International meet dates.

Craig

StudeNewby
01-25-2018, 04:25 PM

Craig

You're right, Craig. I have deleted my last post. My apologies.

Cantral2
01-26-2018, 11:09 AM
I gave quite a bit of thought to what I wanted to say in response to this thread. When we were asked to host the 2018 Zone meet just four short years after hosting the 2014 Zone meet We agreed to take it on because we have been hosting a event on Labor day weekend for Forty years so not a huge big deal to hold it in conjunction with our annual event. I was at the International meet in South Bend when the date was announced for the Seattle meet. I was disappointed, to say the least, that it was the same week as our zone meet. I figured that the International event was more important than our meet so they don't have to worry about any other meets. On a average year we have the same people come year after year. Its like a family reunion-a few different people may come from a different region but, for the most part, its our folks from the zone that come year after year. Any one who has ever been to western South Dakota in the summer time will agree that there is not a weekend that something isn't going on. This region hosts the Corvette rally , Mustang rally, Camaro rally and the little things called the Sturgis motorcycle rally. Those are the big ones but also many other things that are not related to cars. The whole goal of the SDC, as I understand it, is to promote Studebakers. I fail to see how two events held over a thousand miles apart is going to hurt the SDC. I hope you all can forgive us for not changing a forty year tradition. Thank you for your interest in this matter. Tom Cantral, President of the Dakotas Chapter of the SDC

old fart
01-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Hear Hear Tom couldn't agree with you more it won't hurt SDC at all and as I said before your tradition should have been considered when the Seattle date was being set but obviously it wasn't . We have a tradition too we go to Duluth every August for their swap/flee market and car show and have been for 46 years and won't change it .There is an average of over 200 entries plus swap tables and flee market vendors to make it a day worth spending a day of travel to get there . Good for you folks and keep it going .

Old Fart

SusieQ
01-27-2018, 06:32 PM
How come the North Central Zone meet and the International Meet is at the same time? It's hard to be in two places at the same time.

When I spoke with the Chapter hosting the North Central Zone Meet, they indicated that they were tied in with the town for this date and that there just wasn't any other alternative for them. And so, it is on as listed.