PDA

View Full Version : Fastener's proper name & number?

Lou Van Anne
01-22-2018, 06:52 PM
What is the proper name for the type of fasteners that are used to mount the scripts and emblems on my 64 GT Hawk? Who has them for sale? :whome:

swvalcon
01-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Lou Auveco products who have sold auto body clips to the body shops for years calls them [ Tubular Nuts]. I've always called them barrel nuts but that's more of a body guy thing. Steve

tsenecal
01-22-2018, 10:28 PM
I found them on amazon and ebay under tubular barrel nuts. They do not appear to be exactly what the factory used, but look like they may work. The only way I found them was in a kit with various sizes. I plan to measure the pins on my emblems and see how many are needed before I order them.Please keep us updated if you find something more suitable.

Lou Van Anne
01-22-2018, 10:55 PM
Thank You folks.....I'll post what I find.

jclary
01-23-2018, 05:39 AM
In an attempt to make sure we are clear about the subject, I googled the term "tubular barrel nuts" and found this picture. There are many more with various dimensions, but I thought this particular one to be most representative of the type I have encountered on my Studebakers. The key is to make sure to get the size right because there is not a lot of room to play with. Hope this helps.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/catalog/general/378362-s.jpg

Lou Van Anne
01-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Is it safe to assume that the GT Hawk uses all the same size?....are they re-usable?

tsenecal
01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Thanks John, for the picture. I have tried to save the original ones, but some are rusted, and come out in pieces. I considered using adhesive, like modern trim is installed with, but those barrel nuts were still holding strong on my 57 year old car, so they must have been a secure fastener.

jclary
01-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks John, for the picture. I have tried to save the original ones, but some are rusted, and come out in pieces. I considered using adhesive, like modern trim is installed with, but those barrel nuts were still holding strong on my 57 year old car, so they must have been a secure fastener.

You are welcome.:) I would like to emphasize that the picture was chosen at random and the size specifications were not intended to be anything more than an example for reference. Anyone needing the fasteners will need to confirm the size for their application.

RadioRoy
01-23-2018, 12:26 PM
When inserting those nuts, the paint is scraped off and bare metal is exposed. Then rust happens. I put name plates and emblems on my car with clear RTV. After it sets up, the excess can be cleaned off with a tooth pick.

rockne10
01-23-2018, 01:30 PM
When inserting those nuts, the paint is scraped off and bare metal is exposed.When I install them I put a tiny bead of Dum-dum around them. The excess is easily removed before inserting the script pins.

Jeffry Cassel
01-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Ditto. I have put nice looking trim that had studs break off the back on with 3M emblem tape . Haven't had one fall off yet. The little barrel fasteners can be had . Try Restoration Specialties. Bought some dumdum once; the only thing it sticks to is my fingers! Stone -age tech.

tsenecal
01-24-2018, 09:44 AM
I was doing some work on the front fender of my Hawk this morning, and noticed that the holes for the emblem are actually rectangular. They must be a different version of the barrel nut. The old ones all came off in one piece on the emblem, so should be able to reuse. I will look into the 3M tape, but wonder, does it hold the emblem out a bit, from the body?

jclary
01-24-2018, 10:35 AM
I was doing some work on the front fender of my Hawk this morning, and noticed that the holes for the emblem are actually rectangular. They must be a different version of the barrel nut. The old ones all came off in one piece on the emblem, so should be able to reuse. I will look into the 3M tape, but wonder, does it hold the emblem out a bit, from the body?

If you really want to get creative, you can take a small die and thread the mounting pins on the back of certain emblems. Then you can use appropriate nuts to hold them in place. That, along with double sided tape, or adhesive, should really work. None of these things were originally done with the thought that, decades later, owners would be having a problem with them.

One great thing about "restoration," is that you can take your time, get creative, and do things much better than some poor assembly line worker trying to keep up with the line speed, and have enough energy left to clock out and make it home after his shift was over.