Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard wiring harness

Hi there,
    Well I'm going to have to replace the front harness in my '57 Clipper Wagon as the Socal heat dry rotted everything from the firewall forward. You touch a wire, it breaks. The only listing in SI is for a '57 President/Commander Part no# 1542283. Am, I correct in assuming it will take some serious tweaking to get it to fit the dashboard & instruments etc? Would I be better to modify a kit from EasyWire seeing as it doesn't look like there is the correct one available? The EasyWire is half the price, oops here I go being CASO.
    Thanks for your expertise.
    Bill

Bill,

It isn't the cheapest route, but Lark Works is awesome! The wiring is exactly like the original and they are great to deal with!

Nate

Comment

Thanks, Nate,
      I did get a quote from them and quite frankly(and yes I am being CASO) $1400 USD converts to over $1800 Canadian and I simply can't justify it. I know the quality of their product is first class but as none of this harness will be viewed (other than in front of the radiator shroud & regulator) by many other than myself, I have to take a different approach.
      Bill

Comment

Bill, try Studebakers West in California. They should be able to supply you a correct-fitting harness for less money.

Comment

Thanks, Matthew, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
          Bill

Comment

You can probably get it from YnZ's for under $700.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The only year missed is mine, 1957.

Comment

For many years now I have been getting my wiring Harnesses from Studebakers West. I have a price list (January 2012) that shows 1543685 Chassis Wiring Harness for 57L, Y & P Bodies.
                The price shown is affordable, but I won’t show it here due to possibility it has changed after six years.

Comment

Ditto here, James Bell and I were very happy with the Harnesses I got from Studebakers West for the America's Car Museum (LeMay) Museum's 1001 Avanti, Avantis take a Pile of em.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    You can probably get it from YnZ's for under $700.

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ca...harnesses.html
                    I recently completed a harness replacement from YNZ in a 1940 Packard and found it to be pretty good. Wires were numbered and directions for the most part were correct. There was no wiring included for door jamb switches and done lights, trunk light. Several wrong connections on ends but made it all work.
                    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I'm just wondering how much different the Studebaker harness would be from the Packard? Does the Packard have additional gauges or different style as far as the electrical connections? If it's a spacing problem, it seems that a simple wire addition would fix it. I may be way of course, but knowing Studebaker and the way they tried to use the same item for several applications, I would think the Studebaker harness would work with only minor alterations, if any.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Yes Ken, my take as well. The area of concern would definitely be the dash and gauges. When I get the car back home, I'll reevaluate the situation and let you all know what I do as at this point I'm relying on my memory which at my age is not necessarily a good thing.
                        Bill

Comment

I am reading this thread with interest, as I will need to find a harness for a 1960 Hawk. The old harness is usable, but fairly stiff and brittle. My original plan was to lay it out on the floor, and start with the proper sizes, and color of primary wire and the correct ends, and build my own. I haven't put together a material list, but the supplies needed, may cost as much as a completed harness, and I would have a bit of time and labor involved. Speedway sells a nice braided sheath to slip the wiring in, but it would not be authentic.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                            I am reading this thread with interest, as I will need to find a harness for a 1960 Hawk. The old harness is usable, but fairly stiff and brittle. My original plan was to lay it out on the floor, and start with the proper sizes, and color of primary wire and the correct ends, and build my own. I haven't put together a material list, but the supplies needed, may cost as much as a completed harness, and I would have a bit of time and labor involved. Speedway sells a nice braided sheath to slip the wiring in, but it would not be authentic.
                            A wiring harness from Studebakers West will be a lot less work.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

True, but buying a new Tesla is a lot less work then restoring an old Studebaker too. Sometimes the labor to fix something IS the hobby. Many times I find the challenge to be very rewarding when the job is done. Sometimes I even save a couple bucks for an adult beverage to celebrate.
                              Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              A wiring harness from Studebakers West will be a lot less work.
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X