Asbestos concerns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Asbestos concerns?

I'm at the point where I need to strip and clean the inside of the roof prior to the headliner installation in my 52 Commander Starlight. Does anyone know if there is any asbestos content in the sound deadening panels attached to the roof? I don't want to damage my health doing this.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Pretty sure those are just jute fiber, saturated in tar. I have burned them in a burn barrel, and saw no asbestos residue. I have never heard of asbestos being used in such a role in any car. Where it did get used: brake and clutch linings, #1. So don't blow out brakes and bellhousing with compressed air! #2: as a core to sandwich-type gaskets, where it is locked in, and does not present a hazard to us, unless we take old gaskets apart, and strew the contents around. #3: in woven tubes around the metal pipes bringing hot air up to the automatic choke. Some models.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They did asbestos removal at work on the steel structures. The key to removal seems to be moisture. Getting and keeping it wet. Otherwise they just used plastic suits and masks. I'm doubtful there is asbestos in the area you speak but to help with your concerns $10 worth of plastic on the car floor, a plastic suit and a decent mask goes a long way. You might even choose to dampen the area a day of so before to ensure it is saturated. Scrape carefully. Some form of paint would help encapsulate any deadener remaining on the roof. When done throw everything away and take a good shower.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear.
        3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Not to change subject matter, but what do you plan to replace the removed sound deadening material with prior to replacing the headliner?
          Reason I ask is that my 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop has the headliner torn out and most of the sound proofing material is gone. Not sure what the best material is when I replace everything.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
            Not to change subject matter, but what do you plan to replace the removed sound deadening material with prior to replacing the headliner?
            Reason I ask is that my 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop has the headliner torn out and most of the sound proofing material is gone. Not sure what the best material is when I replace everything.
            Good question. I've done a bunch of research and there are a LOT of options, some quite expensive. I think I've settled on this: http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-radiant-barrier/ It's lightweight, has a good R value in the application (important in the Phoenix area) and inexpensive.
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

As a former salesman for Kent Automotive I like using a urethane seal sealer. Not sticky or gummy if you ever have to go back in. Sound deadens in an awesome way and stops roof flex which most of don't even realize our cars do. Easy to apply with a spray rig that you can buy with the sealer at any good parts store or I find the price is better at body shop supply houses. Looks like a smooth rino lining and if you use it under the car instead of asphalt undercoating it is gas, oil and chemical resistant. Use it on custom and street cars. Sold a lot of it after just one demonstration.
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
                Good question. I've done a bunch of research and there are a LOT of options, some quite expensive. I think I've settled on this: http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-radiant-barrier/ It's lightweight, has a good R value in the application (important in the Phoenix area) and inexpensive.
                I read the description of this product, but must have missed the R value...........What is the R value?
                Thanks

Comment

Upper right hand corner. Click on - spec sheet.

Bob

Comment

R value = 3.91 per inch.
                    So for the 3/8" sheet it's roughly 1.3
                    Is that correct ?
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Asbestos is not really that nasty. It gives smokers another dread disease and posses almost no risk at all to non-smokers. If you think you may have an exposure situation just use common sense; use a decent respirator and shower after. I've used stuff I buy at Menard's. It is made for insulating steel roofs to prevent sweating. It is like that package wrap with shiney mylar on both sides. Not spendy, very easy to work with, and it really helps quiet a car. Cost is about 1/8 of what they sell car sound deadening material for.

Comment

I agree with Jeffry. I put up a Menards metal shelter for my car, and I used the 3/8" bubble foil to stop condensation.
                        It also keeps it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Comment

I was reading the R value as 16.39 from their chart. Not sure that's correct now. The company is local to me, thought I'd give them a call Monday and get it sorted out. They have versions with foil on 1 or both sides, I'd like their recommendation on that as well as best orientation if using the single faced product.
                          Attached Files
                          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Working...
                          X